SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-23-07, 04:59 AM   #31
Krupp
Weps

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoochy
Well, it led me to look into something.

Assuming that the mast heights are correct, we can use them as a scale of sorts for measuring other parts of the ship.

For Example:

I took 2 snapshots of a large composite freighter, one above the waterline, and one below. Same distance and marginal point of view difference.

Cutting the below the waterline part of the ship, and pasting it onto the above waterline shot gave me a total view of the ship, from the top of the mast, to the bottom of the keel.

Now, using the amst height as a ruler, I cut the picture into a strip from the top of the mast, to the bottom of the keel and reseized constraining proportions. The mast is approx. 120 feet tall, so I resized the image to 120cm in height.

Now I have a full ship image where 1cm = 1 foot. Using this, I can measure how many cm of the hull is below the waterline. In this case it cam to 21cm equaling a 21 foot draft.

Quite interesting I must say. So I ran to the same convoy I have been plaguing with my save game and set the torp to 21 feet and what do you know, popped it right on the bottom of the hull.
We kind of stole Yllekm's topic, but one more question: If you set the torpedo depth to 24-25 feet (+3-4 feet, like in your earlier post), does it make your mag's to go off?
Old 04-23-07, 05:40 AM   #32
Scoochy
Sparky

Downloads: 24

23 and 24 deep runners went right under the keel, checked both settings, mag and contact. 22 feet deep made contact at the bottom. Either I have ALOT of dud mags and crazy variance with how deep they run, or something is wrong.

And we didn't totally take over the thread, it does talk about the draft.....
Old 04-23-07, 10:40 AM   #33
AG124
Sea Lord

Downloads: 4
Default Type 13 Subchaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by yllekm
I can't seem to find any Jap Sub Chaser that fits the data given for the generic Medium Sub Chaser in the game. It seems to be longer, wider and heavier than any of th CH types I have been able to find data on. It is not a CH-13 - the RL boat was shorter and didn't have the extra superstructure ahead of the bridge.

Is this the developer's fantasy composite?
Yeah, it looks similar at first glance, but I guess it is not really exact. Probably just a generic one after all.

Quote:
Roads88, as far as I know, Speedy Share does not require a login for files up to 24 MB in size. My manual is 1.12 MB so it shouldn't require a login to download.
If it helps, I didn't have to log in to download the file.:hmm:

DOWNLOAD GWX HERE:
http://www.thegreywolves.com/index.html
AG124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-07, 08:07 PM   #34
yllekm
Mate

Downloads: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krupp
We kind of stole Yllekm's topic, but one more question: <snipped>
Nope - like Scoochy said, the draft dimensions are in my manual and I have been following this discussion about the frieghter draft problem with great interest. It's fine being discussed here.

I really should research more about the US torps (I have actually downloaded what I think is quite a good article (US Navy Tropedoes by Frederick J. Milford - originally published in The Submarine Review circa 1996-1997) but haven't gotten around to reading it yet) but I am curious about the US mag trigger. Does anyone know the maximum distance away from the object whose magentic field it is sensing that it should be able to detect?

Maybe part of the problem is that the mag trigger range in the SH4 torp model isn't large enough. Anyone know if this is moddable?
yllekm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-07, 12:55 AM   #35
Krupp
Weps

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krupp
We kind of stole Yllekm's topic, but one more question: <snipped>
Nope - like Scoochy said, the draft dimensions are in my manual and I have been following this discussion about the frieghter draft problem with great interest. It's fine being discussed here.

I really should research more about the US torps (I have actually downloaded what I think is quite a good article (US Navy Tropedoes by Frederick J. Milford - originally published in The Submarine Review circa 1996-1997) but haven't gotten around to reading it yet) but I am curious about the US mag trigger. Does anyone know the maximum distance away from the object whose magentic field it is sensing that it should be able to detect?

Maybe part of the problem is that the mag trigger range in the SH4 torp model isn't large enough. Anyone know if this is moddable?
There is a very promising mod under work about torpedoes. http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=113031

I have never looked in the torpedo files, so hard to tell, but the magnetic trigger range seems too small. Torpedoes running under big ships from 0.5 - few odd meters, should always go off. That is if you haven' ticked the torpedo dud box.
Old 04-24-07, 02:12 AM   #36
Jungman
Samurai Navy

Quote:
In the Torp sim file it is set for 5.5 whatever IIRC. I have found that Magnetic does NOT work, it behaves in game just like the Contact only setting.

As above noted, you set for Contact only and shoot at 24 feet the hull, both the Contact and Magnetic settings explode everytime (using no Dud option). Shoot torpedo just under the hull at 25 feet deep and BOTH settings miss every time.

You can still get an 'under hull explosion' causing major damage using the deep setting. The 3D damage will show the Bottom exploded damage for alot of force. A shot in the side shows a Side damage model and does less damage to the ship.

We should test alot of ships so the OP topic can have the real in game values off the 3D models as used in game?? Example Mogami draft is 4.4 meters = 14.4 feet in print manual. But in game it is around 24 feet deep!! Should this be placed into this cool Recon Manual?

Last edited by Jungman; 04-24-07 at 02:52 AM.
Jungman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-07, 08:52 AM   #37
yllekm
Mate

I started some testing on the Large Composite Freighter last night and was trying different values in the "magnetic detonation range" in the Torpedoes_US.sim file but didn't seem to be able to change the range within the game. Odd thing is that with the 27.2 ft. draft listed in the manual, if I ran torps under at 29 ft. I was getting a good "non-contact" burst right below the keel. Run under at 27 ft. and I was getting more of a side hit (i.e. contact burst). At 30 ft. I missed. This was in dead calm water with the ship stationary but loaded.

I want to play around some more with the "magnetic detonation range" setting but am beginning to worry that something is broken in the mags that only the developers can fix (or maybe I'm tweaking the wrong file or another file has to be tweaked besides Torpedoes_US.sim).

Once I have frustrated myself enough with this setting, I'll begin testing drafts of each ship in my manual.

I don't think I'll be able to do any more testing for a few days though - I have to go into hospital for a medical procedure tomorrow and must begin "preparing" today (It ain't pretty so I'll spare you the details).

Last edited by yllekm; 04-24-07 at 09:13 AM.
Old 04-24-07, 01:35 PM   #38
Roads88
Sparky

Hi
I got your manual and it really looks nice. Further, I installed Krupp's ship lenght fix.

I tried using the methed used for figuring speed from Wernersobe's thread:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=112448

ie Ship lenght divided by number of seconds that ship crosses the TDC with boat at zero (0) knots. On the Hugh Liner the speed was all screwy.

I went back to the valuse used on the above link and hit it clean.

Do I need to use a differant formula?

Thanks
Old 04-24-07, 05:42 PM   #39
yllekm
Mate

Krupp would be better to ask - I'm more of a graphics guy. If he doesn't respond here, just pm him.
Old 04-26-07, 03:41 PM   #40
messenger3
Swabbie

Downloads: 7
Default funny???

hi everytime i try to download it i click the link and it takes me to some photographer portfolio with some newage music>>>>
wthell is that?pls help.
messenger3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-07, 06:26 AM   #41
yllekm
Mate

The Speedy Share links work fine for me, but I have decided to mirror the manuals on my personal webspace.

You can get the v3.1 Imperial Manual here:

http://members.shaw.ca/elkabong/SH4_...l_v3.1_IMP.pdf

And, you can get the v3.1 Metric Manual here:

http://members.shaw.ca/elkabong/SH4_...l_v3.1_MET.pdf

I would prefer that you use the Speedy Share links (if you can) to minimize my webspace download traffic and so that I can track the number of downloads.

Last edited by yllekm; 04-27-07 at 08:38 PM.
Old 04-27-07, 06:29 AM   #42
kakemann
Samurai Navy

Location: Pretty close to the big german cruiser Blücher in Norway
Downloads: 29

Thanks for all your work!

I'll try this one now!
kakemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-07, 06:44 AM   #43
yllekm
Mate

Quote:
I started some testing on the Large Composite Freighter last night and was trying different values in the "magnetic detonation range" in the Torpedoes_US.sim file but didn't seem to be able to change the range within the game. Odd thing is that with the 27.2 ft. draft listed in the manual, if I ran torps under at 29 ft. I was getting a good "non-contact" burst right below the keel. Run under at 27 ft. and I was getting more of a side hit (i.e. contact burst). At 30 ft. I missed. This was in dead calm water with the ship stationary but loaded.

I want to play around some more with the "magnetic detonation range" setting but am beginning to worry that something is broken in the mags that only the developers can fix (or maybe I'm tweaking the wrong file or another file has to be tweaked besides Torpedoes_US.sim).
Well, I think I found why I was unable to change the "magnetic detonation range" setting. In Nvdrifter's latest version of the Torpedo tweak Files (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=112951) there are now TWO "magnetic detonation range" settings. Change both and presto - increased detonation range.

So, if you are not happy about this range, grab the tweak files and the SH3 Minitweaker and mod the range to your taste. You can't increase it too much though - the explosion can happen too far away from the hull and create very little damage (even with the +25% torpedo damage mod). I managed to add 1 to each of the values and still get the hull.

----------------------------------------
EDIT:

D'oh! The blast radius can be modded, which would fix the problem of the magnetic detonator triggering too far away from the hull. Back to messing with the .sim file...
----------------------------------------

As a side note though, after reading the torpedo history article I mentioned above, the US mag detontators were very finicky and unreliable. Eventually the Navy discontinued using them and set all on contact detonators.

Interesting how the same thing is happening with SH4 users. Maybe the flakey mag implementation by the developers was intentional, and eerily true to history.

Last edited by yllekm; 04-27-07 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-27-07, 04:36 PM   #44
Mast
XO

Downloads: 49
Thanks for the update! Dumb question here...where does this .pdf file go?

Mast
Mast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-07, 08:40 PM   #45
yllekm
Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mast
Thanks for the update! Dumb question here...where does this .pdf file go? Mast
It's a stand alone document. Put it where ever you like on your computer.

If you have Adobe Acrobat or Acrobat Reader installed, just double click on the file and it will open for you to view and/or print.