SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop > DW Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-14-10, 07:07 PM   #1
ADM Mako
Swabbie

Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0
Default Weird multiplayer "side" issue

I've been working on a mission for a while now that has four possible randomly selected submarine enemy groups inside a dynamic group. The random selection works great - every time the mission starts only one of the 4 is selected.

Playable platforms are a single Frigate (choice of platform available) and an "in-flight" helicopter from the Frigate.

When I playtested this scenario, I only did it from the Frigate. Everything worked like I'd planned. So I sent it to one of the guys I play with so we could test it multiplayer.

However - in Multiplayer mode, something weird happens that I've never seen before.

Whatever submarine is selected by the random dynamic group selection shows up immediately when the game starts on the Nav map as a neutral contact. This happens for both the Frig and Helo.

After this occurred, I went offline and tested the scenario single player again with the Frig - and it worked normally (like it should - like it has before). Then I tested it by selecting the Helo. When the helo is selected in single player mode the submarine(s) immediately show up as contacts on the map - but as enemy, not neutral.

So, to sum up :

Single player - Frig: No subs show up until they are detected as normal contacts.
Single player - Helo: Subs show up immediately on Nav map as enemy submarine contacts.
Multi player - Frig or Helo: Subs show up as neutral contacts to both player platforms.

So... ahh, anyone have any ideas? I've made sure that the submarines are set as "side2" and they are enemies of "side1" (both sides at war with each other). I have two other dynamic groups that spawn random biologic and civilian shipping and they both work fine (all entities are either biologics or civilian neutrals in those groups).
Old 03-15-10, 08:37 AM   #2
-GrayOwl-
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

> Single player - Helo: Subs show up immediately on Nav map as enemy submarine contacts.

There can be a ship at once finds out a submarine? Classifies as hostile passive sensors.

Try to remove the FFG enough far from submarines
Old 03-15-10, 09:50 AM   #3
dd149
Soundman

Downloads: 183

For example in case of missile launch by sub, the ship upon detection launches an helo to the launch point to establish a sonobuoy barrier. Probably the same applies to detected sub.
dd149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-10, 09:53 PM   #4
ADM Mako
Swabbie

Downloads: 6

Forgive me - but I'm not really sure what you guys mean.

The Frigate is set approximately 15 nautical miles from the center of the random spawn in points of the submarines... I would think that's far enough from the submarines that it wouldn't cause an issue.

Especially considering that when playing the Frigate, one can't hear the submarines on sonar at all until one gets a lot closer to the submarine.

There are other US Naval shipping in the area (depending on spawn in) - but none of them are ASW vessels (a Tico and a DDG).
Old 03-23-10, 01:34 AM   #5
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

If the submarine is appearing at Nav as a linked contact, it might help to look at the track number of the linking platform. At least that way you know who's reporting the link and that probably gets you halfway to a solution (or maybe a dead end--that's just the way DW mission design goes sometimes).