SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-07-19, 07:01 PM   #1
Tinkering
Seaman

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 0
Default Anyone playing this on Steam?

Am thinking about buying a key, but reluctantly due to bugs.
Tinkering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-19, 08:08 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Oi Yeah! Works just fine. Do not install it in the usual Steam Library folder, which by default is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam \Steamapps \common \Silent Hunter 3". Rather, make your own directory. Easier said than done if you have an existing Steam install, and only have one hard drive. Refer to Steam's Knowledgebase article Moving a Steam Installation and Games if you have to move what you have. A 2nd usable hard drive makes it to where you can create another Steam Library folder, which is easy enough. If doing a fresh install, when the dialog comes up to ask where to install Steam, just change the "root" of the path (the "\Program Files (x86)" portion) to something you'll remember, such as "Games" or some-such... When you go to apply mods to it, remember that the game is already fully updated, and you will not need to do any of the different methods of doing such.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-19, 06:04 PM   #3
Tinkering
Seaman

Wondering if there are more players on Steam or Uplay, Anyone know?
Old 11-09-19, 02:24 PM   #4
Tinkering
Seaman

How many people are actually playing this on Steam? Can someone log into their SH3 game via Steam and check?
Old 11-09-19, 04:13 PM   #5
captainadccdacaptain
Gunner

Downloads: 49

I play it on steam, never really had a problem though.
captainadccdacaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-19, 04:32 AM   #6
Leoz
Ensign

Downloads: 253

Over 4 years 99 percent of my hours of play have been on SHIII deployed with STEAM.
GWX and NYGM.

Works well in the stock Steam games folder if you don't try HSIE code patch.
You should also make sure you have Silent Hunter Front End which will take care of deploying the 4GB RAM patch.

Only recently been doing....
1. Download and install with Steam (thus-running a legit license).
2. Make multiple copies of that SHIII install folder out the root of the C drive. Usually C:\GWX and C:\NYGM (so I can have an install for each of my two fav mods). I also use Silent Hunter Front End for this task.

"Auf gefechtsstationen!"

NYGM
Leoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-19, 07:55 AM   #7
kolc
Watch

Downloads: 9

Haven't played in while but looking to launch again soon on Steam. Didn't have any issues previously.
kolc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-19, 12:16 PM   #8
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Re: Steam

I've played SH3 and SH4 with U-boat Updates on Steam without any difficulty for quite some time. I play SH4 with GFO and up to 45 mods installed.

And being the fool that I am, I've got them installed to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam \Steamapps \common

that every one discourages and I have had no problems yet.

In my humble opinion, don't hesitate to use Steam.
Old 11-20-19, 01:40 PM   #9
Mikhen
Nub

Downloads: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoz View Post
Over 4 years 99 percent of my hours of play have been on SHIII deployed with STEAM.
GWX and NYGM.

Works well in the stock Steam games folder if you don't try HSIE code patch.
You should also make sure you have Silent Hunter Front End which will take care of deploying the 4GB RAM patch.

Only recently been doing....
1. Download and install with Steam (thus-running a legit license).
2. Make multiple copies of that SHIII install folder out the root of the C drive. Usually C:\GWX and C:\NYGM (so I can have an install for each of my two fav mods). I also use Silent Hunter Front End for this task.
Hi How do you install it out of root? When I try it says that it cant create another directory since it already exist one directory on that disc.
And when I create directory in Windows Explorer as I Think you do it yet I get he same message that it already exist a diretory in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam \Steamapps \common \Silent Hunter 3"

And yes I have some problems with steam because well into my fourth patrol and i´m west of England and I load my game mission continues and suddenly it crashes in mission, after some minutes.

Playing with GWX gold, rez patch and 4Gb patch i Think.
Mikhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-19, 01:53 PM   #10
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

Mikhen!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-19, 02:02 PM   #11
Mikhen
Nub

Downloads: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
Mikhen!
Mikhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-19, 05:13 PM   #12
Drakken
Planesman

Downloads: 65

I have it on Steam and everything works fine.

Playing with GWX.
Drakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-19, 10:07 PM   #13
Tinkering
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakken View Post
I have it on Steam and everything works fine.

Playing with GWX.
Excellent! Got these on sale for $3.39 each so I bought 3, 4 and 5. Gotta figure out how to install GWX and TWoS mods now.

Last edited by Tinkering; 11-28-19 at 10:33 PM.
Old 11-29-19, 08:42 AM   #14
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhen View Post
Hi How do you install it out of root? When I try it says that it cant create another directory since it already exist one directory on that disc.
And when I create directory in Windows Explorer as I Think you do it yet I get he same message that it already exist a diretory in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam \Steamapps \common \Silent Hunter 3"

And yes I have some problems with steam because well into my fourth patrol and i´m west of England and I load my game mission continues and suddenly it crashes in mission, after some minutes.

Playing with GWX gold, rez patch and 4Gb patch i Think.
It's usually better to start your own thread, or find one closer to your issue, else you get buried in the other posts - but, there are a couple of things you can do. The main one being to consult the Steam Knowledgebase Article "[https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...BN-8129]Moving a Steam Installation and Games[/url]" - but you will need to know how to proceed first. If you have a Windows laptop, or a desktop, and have only one hard drive in the machine (do not count any back-up / recovery partitions as usable), then you will have to move the Steam Library folder install, along with all of your games, as outlined about halfway down that page under the "How do I move my existing Steam Installation?" section. If you have a 2nd hard drive or partition available, you can use the first method and create another Library folder on a different drive than your existing Library. If you have a fast (7200rpm or better) external drive, and a fast connection (ie: USB3, but USB2 can sometimes work), then you could put a Library folder on that, but that could potentially be a performance bottleneck, depending upon the drive and the connection, along with your computer and whether or not something else is internal "sharing" the connection. A really good place to start any "search" for information on the SubSim site is any of THEBERBSTER's posts, including, but not limited to (of course) "[https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...ost2297818]SH4 <> TUTORIALS <> HOW TO DO IT <> INFO...[/url]", even though it does say "SH4" in its title, quite a bit applies to SH3... Also consult his LSH posts in the SH3 section, because quite a bit of that applies across most mods in SH3.

If you already have the Stock game installed, functioning correctly, and not modded, you can copy that game folder (usually "Silent Hunter 3") sometimes, and paste to another location on your drive, change the name of the folder (I use the mod I'm going to activate for my game folder name), do your modding, and then add that to the Steam menu, rename the SH3.exe there, and create a desktop shortcut of desired, that then goes through the Steam app for authentication. That does not always function correctly though (OS dependent), if you have a single hard drive, due to the Steam Library restriction, so you might have to use that Knowledgebase article first...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 11-29-19 at 08:52 AM. Reason: usually... :roll:
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote