SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-19-20, 10:24 AM   #1
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0
Default Cyberpunk 2077

This was the one game of 2020 I had been looking forward to. It nearly didn't make it out in 2020, but it did. I pre-purchased the game, and playing on PC.

It's an interesting case, this game. I can look at it from the viewpoint of what I thought it would be, or what it is. And I must admit my expectations were very high, maybe unreasonably so. Cyberpunk is not the game I thought it was going to be.

I expected a revolutionary game. That the level of interactivity between systems and with the world would surpass everything that came before. That the depth of customization and characters would blow me away. But it does not. CDPR had a lot of credit in the bank for me after the phenomenal Witcher 3. I rate W3 as the best video game ever, when all aspects of game design are considered. And because of this I expected Cyberpunk to shift the paradigm beyond what W3 is. And in the end, it really does not.

But is it a good game?

I went in to Cyberpunk with high expectations, tempered by the early reports of disaster. Broken. A scam. Ripped off. Lied to. Bug ridden. Before I had a chance to fire it up, the internet was awash with tales of terror. So before I even created my V, my expectations had been lowered to a degree.

But the worst of it rarely seems to affect me, I must lead a charmed life. And so it was with Cyberpunk. I've dropped 30+ hours in to the game so far, and I like it. It's fun. I actually like the combat well enough, despite all the noise from the player base. The AI isn't cutting edge. But they use cover, dodge about, throw grenades, attempt to hack you and generally put up a good fight. It's an RPG after all and I wasn't expecting combat like the best shooters. It's good enough to keep me engaged, and that's, well, good enough.

One way I think Cyberpunk shines though is in the characters. They are very well realized. The dialog, the voice acting, the way their facial expressions convey emotion. It's all very well done and the characters are convincing in a way that most games are not.

The missions and quests are also a a big strength. Well-written, engaging and diverse. I've yet to be bored by anything I've done in game. never felt like 'oh great, another fetch quest'. But while this is a clear strength of the game, it also reveals a limitation. Cyberpunk may be open world, but it's not sandbox, at least not in the way I expected. In a sense, all you do was prepared in some way by the devs. It's not emergent in the way I hoped, it lacks the flexible design needed to truly shine as a story generator. The story in essence has already been written for you to experience. There is some latitude here, it's not on rails. But it isn't quite free-form either.

And you know what? That's OK. I tend to make it a rule to judge games by what they are, not what they aren't. And with that in mind, I think Cyberpunk is a good game.

Techincally it's been much better for me than reports would lead one to believe. I have a modest box, a home built Ryzen 2600, 1660Ti and 16 gigs O'RAM. It runs fine. There are bugs, but nothing game breaking. I've encountered none I would classify as major. But minor ones do exist, mostly graphics glitches and that sort of thing. Like a NPC pedestrian simply vanishes in front of my eyes. I have full faith that CDPR will patch these out in short order. Even a game as great as RDR 2 had issues at launch, most games do, especially ones on this sort of scale. It's been stable with zero crashes or lock ups. Performance is good, smooth at 1080p.

But consoles are another matter entirely. It's a 2020 game being run on 2013 hardware and sooner or later this was going to catch up. I feel bad for those players. But on PC it is much better, at least for me.

And the last point is that Night City is amazing. The world design is excellent. The setting and vibe are very cool. Again, it's not interactive in the way I had hoped, a lot of what you see is window dressing or like stage props. But having accepted that it isn't quite what I thought it would be, the city itself is still amazing. I've played for 30+ hours and have yet to see half of it. There's plenty to do and to soak in.

In all, I think that Cyberpunk is a good game, and I think my decision to pre-purchase was a good one. I like the game, I am having a good time with it. I can't escape that it is not the game I hoped it would be, or maybe even the game CDPR said it would be. But it's well worth my time and my experience has been trouble free, far better than you might expect from all the shouting. YMMV
Old 12-19-20, 06:47 PM   #2
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375

glad your enjoying that what matters i did hear bad stuff about the consoles version i figure it design for like the ps5 so i didnt even mess with getting it before i spend that much money on ps5 i'll work on a gaming computer
Old 12-20-20, 08:33 PM   #3
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Its currently pulled from the PS4

market. If the studio has the coins, they will spend the time to massively fix it, if not, then its dead.

Had a disappointing exprrience this year wqith Outer Worlds. Former Bethesda developers, open world, good detail open sandbox and all that. What I got was a nightmare of ultra-genderism and -feminism that especially in the german version killed it in no time for me, a plane and superliner gameplay, and a shallow world that I would not call "open world" or sandbox at all. I refunded.

So it goes. Sometimes you catch the bear and sometimes the bear catches you.

Its amazing how often I fall back to older games. Pasdt weeks, after years of absenc,e I started in Skyrim again, just busy with building mod homes and collecting companions and equipping them as best as I could. Man, it is already over ten years!

Last edited by Skybird; 12-21-20 at 07:04 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-20, 04:05 AM   #4
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

I'm around 25hrs in and quite surprisingly I am enjoying it a lot. Like Threadfin said, it has a whole plethora of issues but somehow it keeps me going back to it. Much of it must be the characters and stories; just like with their previous games it's definitely the strong point of it.

CohhCarnage (youtuber) put it best imho: It feels like six months ago someone in the company told everyone to stop working on whatever system they were working on and polish it the best they can for release.

The game is clearly unfinished with basic open world features such as a walk button (on PC) missing, or the ability to change your character's appearance at all beyong the character creation.

They've got a lot of work to do to make this the game they told us we'd be getting. Fingers crossed they'll deliver.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-20, 06:49 AM   #5
d@rk51d3
Sea Lord

Downloads: 193

Is it like an updated “Deus Ex”?

Man I loved that game, but could have been just that much more.
I always wished you could oppose your brother and take an alternative path though.
d@rk51d3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-20, 07:52 AM   #6
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by d@rk51d3 View Post
Is it like an updated “Deus Ex”?

In a sense yes. I played Deus Ex, HR and MD, while skipping the other Deus Ex titles. There is a similar vibe here. I feel the influence of a number of games in Cyberpunk.

I think for players who like games like Deus Ex that they'll find a lot to like in Cyberpunk too. I'm 50 hours in now and have dabbled in a little of everything the game has to offer. My favorite parts are the structured missions, the set pieces. Free-roaming is fine, you can travel around and find all sorts of things to do and to see. But the story jobs are fantastic in the main, and I'm enjoying the ride.

It's true that Cyberpunk is not what was planned or even what was promised. Expectations are key here. Some will be disappointed, but I think if you can just accept the game at face value there is plenty to like. Just gotta play it on PC.
Old 12-23-20, 12:53 AM   #7
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Old 12-26-20, 07:12 PM   #8
zachanscom
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 2

the deus ex comparisons are apt. this was one of those cases where i was glad not to be sucked into the hype despite cdpr's reputation. many people thought they could do no wrong and would create the next evolution of open world games. while the world and world building is ambitious, the open world mechanics especially as related to ai, police response, are quite primitive compared to even gta 4. there's noticeably cut and altered content, which again fuels the disappointment of people expecting those features. where the game shines is on the story and the bespoke side quests. the peralez story arc is a good example how well such content could be done. the deux ex parallels come in via how many ways you can access a location or manipulate characters. climbing building and accessing roof vents definitely gave me deux ex deja vu i almost feel like they could have made a more story driven game, at the same time, i agree that it would be a waste of such an ambition environment. the scope and detail of the world is something different. i hope they revamp the npc/criminal/police ai and add flesh out all the available content. i think it could make it feel like a different game.
zachanscom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-20, 09:08 PM   #9
BungoJungo
Der Kommissar

Downloads: 15

So I had pre-ordered Cyberpunk 2077 on PC via Steam, then cancelled that as I've been really hesitant to pre-order games (outside of the naval/strategy variety!). On the day of release, I purchased the game via gog.com and fired it up.

Right out of the box, there are some display settings that I felt needed tweaking as it looked like a blurry mess. This is on a fairly powerful system with a 2080 Super using the Geforce Experience optimized settings. One example being turning film grain off and changing DLSS to quality. This really helped sharpen the game up, but I had already sunk about 45 mins into the game and it made a pretty poor first impression for me and took away from the immersion. The game itself did remind me a bit of Deus Ex, of which I am a fan, for the short time I played it.

Ultimately, I asked for a refund via gog.com and will most likely pick it up again once it's been patched up a bit. I know very many folks who have been enjoying it on the PC, so I honestly think what you get out of it is up to the individual.

If you do choose to pick it up, get it on the PC, get it on gog.com or Steam and be mindful of the refund policies, and give it a go. I don't think it's a disaster nor do I think it's the best game of all time, but it does look enjoyable.

A bit of polish will go a long way
BungoJungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-21, 09:49 AM   #10
Cyborg322
Scurvy Dog of the Deep

Downloads: 348

Would not bother with Geforce for optimized setting it always sets graphics well below what most hardware can handle

Cyberpunk has few bugs on PC from what I've experienced on PC a couple of mission bugs so far after many many hours got fixes of Reddit

There are some folks who have completed the game ( some with cheat trainers) and missed out on a lot of the not so obvious storylines thru rushing the side missions there is far more depth to this game than many realise and it gets better as you progress

It deserves far more praise than its getting aside from the XBOX and PS versions

AAA games needing day1 patches is becoming common place I would not dismiss a game because of it Dead Red Redemption was unplayable at first even worse Fallout76 ( I'm not sure if that's still been fixed )

This game will become a classic given time to mature , watch this space !
Old 01-09-21, 06:33 AM   #11
brunoa
Nub

Downloads: 0

The tone of the game, almost immediately, struck me as Grand Theft Auto. Not solely for the crude and unlikeable lead or underworld atmosphere, but the mission structure. It's often-cited, but the Bloody Baron line in Witcher 3, how that developed from something small to something of utmost importance to the narrative, that they hire at https://pro-essay-writer.com, is some of the best pacing and storytelling I've seen in any game, truly. Cyberpunk, meanwhile, seems to be ticking boxes in neat "side" and "main" quests. Nothing egregiously wrong there, but regression for CD Projekt.

Last edited by brunoa; 01-10-21 at 06:28 AM.
brunoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-21, 07:23 PM   #12
d@rk51d3
Sea Lord

Downloads: 193

Well, bit the bullet and bought it.
CD-Keys had it on sale for about 50% off.

Enjoying it so far, and still finding my feet, but does feel remarkably like Deus-Ex to me, just with high-res graphics. The world looks full, but feels a bit empty............ if that makes sense.

Looking forward to playing on.
d@rk51d3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-21, 08:57 AM   #13
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Old 01-18-21, 03:08 PM   #14
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

I finished Cyberpunk last week. I ended up getting 140 hours out of it. In the end I had fun with it even if it wasn't the seminal game I hoped it would be. It was worth my time and there are some very cool aspects to it. Not sure though that it has much replayability until or unless some expansions or DLC compel my return.
Old 01-21-21, 12:21 AM   #15
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...strous-rollout

Sounds to me as if the developer fell vicim to an autoimmune desease.