Click here to access the Tanksim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Tanksim.com

Old 09-02-10, 03:08 AM   #1456
tvt_addict
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Thanks guys

I was missing a couple of those dll's so I have copied them into my system32 folder, I will try all versions of the game later and see what happens.

I used to have them, but I forgot that I had wiped my hard drive and forgotten to re-install them following the rebuild.

I have three totally seperate versions of TvT on my pc. In the programs directory I simply created 3 directories, Lighthouse Standard, Lighthouse MMP5, and Lighthouse Zeewolf, I then loaded the game into one and copied it into the other two.

Then I had 3 identical standard fresh installs.

I left the standard as standard.
The MMP5 update was installed on the second one, and the Christmas present went onto the third.

That way I can switch between them, I did this by creating a folder on my desktop with three shortcuts for easy access.

There is no chance of overheating...this cooler is an Arctic Freezer 7, and the system is set up to report any rise in temperature. All I need to do now is find out safe overclocking settings, as I know from the web that these cpu's can go to 3mhz, and the GPU can be bumped up too.

I like the Christmas present, the standard game was very easy, and not a lot happened, but this is far more demanding, both in terms of gameplay and strategy, and trying to control what is now a lumbering tank with an engine that overheats so quickly!

Keep up the good work, it makes World of Tanks look like space invaders?

Rob G
tvt_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-10, 05:10 AM   #1457
tvt_addict
Swabbie

While I remember, for those whose pc's may be running slowly there are a few things that you can do to make it run faster, and they are all free.

1. Download CC Cleaner, and clear out the registry.

2. Download WhatsInStartup, and deactivate all of those programs that start up automatically when you turn your pc on, they all soak up CPU time and they are a menace. I only have two programs that run from startup, one is the sound card control panel for an add-on, and the other is Microsoft Security Essentials.

3. If you are running anti-virus programs, then use CC Cleaner to delete them, then run the registry cleaner again.

4. Download Microsoft Security Essentials. It is an excellent AV application, it comes direct from MS, and you get automatic updates. It is totally free and being from MS, it does not cause you problems and conflicts.

5. MSE also automatically disables Windows Defender, as it does the same job, if it does not disappear from StartUp then you can disable it using CC Cleaner.

6. When running any game make sure that all other applications are closed.

7. Check the icons in the lower right hand corner of your screen, if anything is running in the background that you don't need then close them (they will appear the next time that you boot up anyway). Many of these programs have an automatic update functionality and without you knowing they are spending CPU time contacting the manufacturer and checking for updates.

8. Once you have got your pc 'clean', run Defragmentation. It will tidy your Hard Drive up and allow the disk to be accessed faster.

9. If you want to run a game in a lower resolution than you normally use, you probably go and change it manually each time. You can download Hotkey Resolution Changer. This allows you to select a hotkey combination to instantly switch between two resolutions of your choice, very handy!

10. If you are running Vista, make sure that your hard drive is running NTFS as the file system, not FAT32. Vista is set up to work on an NTFS system, and does not like FAT32 at all. If your disk is FAT32, then the only remedy is to backup the drive and reformat it, then do a complete re-install...so if you have a few days to spare....

I hope that helps someone!

Cheers

Rob G
Old 09-04-10, 02:52 AM   #1458
LcSummers
XO

Downloads: 341

[QUOTE=ZeeWolf;1481548]frinik and LC,
I have good news: A kamerad has a 4850 that he overclocked and reported
very good results. He said he max out the memory speed over 1000mhz. I
checkout your HD5550 and you should be able to also. LC has a HD5550 (I
think) too so I would like to know if he OC'd his. So basically your fine in the
GPU department just give the OC a try.

Hi ZW,

no i do not have an ATI card i own a Geforce GTX 295 with
2 GPUs - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, PCI Express 2.0 x16, 1.792 GB, GDDR3 SDRAM, DVI (DVI), HDMI (HDMI).

I am sorry but i was never an ATI fan.

LC

PS: I cant wait to see my new Tiger I.
LcSummers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-10, 05:02 AM   #1459
tvt_addict
Swabbie

Hmmm, I have tried TvT Standard, MMP5, and Zeewolfs, and last night I played World of Tanks for 5 hours. I thought I had solved it, but noooo...even World of Tanks froze after all that time.

I am now thinking that the games controller is causing a problem as that is the only common denominator. I will keep looking until I find a solution, and it may be the USB drivers?

This is a cheap way to get a 'good' pc. Buy a Dell with a broken motherboard but which has a decent CPU (People almost give them away). Then swap all the parts into a cheap ATX case with a new motherboard, cooler, psu and graphics card. Ok, I already had the Dell, but the swap only cost me around £200?

Rob G
Old 09-04-10, 01:35 PM   #1460
KdF
Loader

OK, as a long time GamingComp builder, I say HEAT!
GPU, Prosessor or video card,even memory. I say to try this before anything else...............
Open the case, put a fan, regular household type, blowing into the case , boot up and play. If there are no lock-ups then you know it's a heat problem. Also could be the old-timey memory leak, but you would not know that unless you run a mem tester for a couple of hours.

try this and get back to us.
Old 09-04-10, 03:50 PM   #1461
ZeeWolf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 1

[QUOTE=LcSummers;1484741]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeWolf View Post
frinik and LC,
I have good news: A kamerad has a 4850 that he overclocked and reported
very good results. He said he max out the memory speed over 1000mhz. I
checkout your HD5550 and you should be able to also. LC has a HD5550 (I
think) too so I would like to know if he OC'd his. So basically your fine in the
GPU department just give the OC a try.

Hi ZW,

no i do not have an ATI card i own a Geforce GTX 295 with
2 GPUs - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, PCI Express 2.0 x16, 1.792 GB, GDDR3 SDRAM, DVI (DVI), HDMI (HDMI).

I am sorry but i was never an ATI fan.

LC

PS: I cant wait to see my new Tiger I.
Sorry LC

I even had the ATI 4850 wrong It is a Radeon 4890HD Over Clocked
I was shooting from the hip so-to-speak.
As far as the new Playable Tiger, It's like a totally new vehicle I reworked
the entire way it operates. For example you can now (gear 3 max) move
through the forest in manual drive. You all so have a full range of reverse
gears and the problem with the engine dying is history. Now you have
the fell of a real engine that RPM is governed. You start your engine and
increase it's RPM to your preference (I set it at 2200 RPM) and March! March!.
It is really a pleasure to drive the Tiger now - you'll see

The new Tiger AI's are a real enhancement to the over all game too. They
are still very aggressive and perform beautifully well, I am very pleased
with the new LOD method I designed. The lessons learned through trial
and error will be used in all of the new and current AI models (including the
Panther D) and of course the things learned about the playable tanks have
really opened the potential of this sim far more then I could have hoped for.
And in time I will convince you as well.
AND - I have been testing with all video options set full (except forest animation, I have off).

Here is a few frames that give you a glimpse of the new Tigers behavior

Vorwärts Kameraden!

ZW

Last edited by ZeeWolf; 09-05-10 at 01:34 PM.
ZeeWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-10, 11:16 PM   #1462
frinik
Grey Wolf

Default ATI versus Nvidia

Thanks Zee using the ATI CCC catalysor I overclocked - cautiously - my gpu by just 10%.Both the pc qnd gpu are new so no point in risking voiding thez warranties by overdoing it.Yes the fps are a bit higher...However the solution will be for me to buy myself a new gpu for Xmas probably an ATI 4890 or 5570 with ddr5. Apparently after reading tons of stuff on the subject of gpu what matters for performance are the nu,ber of treams, the more the better, and the typeof memory; ddr5 being the best and fastest and ddr2 being the slowest.

Sorry Lc My Friend I am an ATI ,an myself but without being fanatical about it.My experience with 2 Nvidia cards has been less than good and ATI has been favourable.Both companies are American but Nvidia does not manufacture its gpu relying entirely instead on Taiwanese manufacturers whereas ATI still manufactures - not entirely though - its cards. Makes may be for better quality control? Anyway it's off topic and I don't want to start a debate ; to each their own as long as they' re happy with it!BTW I read that the GTX295 is a pretty good and performing gpu.See you on the battlefield LC

Zee you are indeed transforming Zee versus T 34 to the point that this sim will become a classic no serious tank simmer passioned by WWII can do without!Can't wait for the Panther ausf. D even non playable

Thanks for all the hardwork and dedication.

Faithfully yours

Welcome aboard TVst Addict, I remember coming across your name often on threads in the past always smiling at your handle What other ssim:games do you play besides the obvious?I have consulted your UK -based help website on tvsT and it's very useful
frinik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-10, 08:40 AM   #1463
LcSummers
XO

Default Wunderbar Mr ZW and fellow tankers

Quote: Sorry LC

I even had the ATI 4850 wrong It is a Radeon 4890HD Over Clocked
I was shooting from the hip so-to-speak.

Never mind, i see no problem here. If you shooting from the hip, don t forget to turn around cause enemies arec at 6 o clock.

Its like frinik said. He had troubles with Nvidia and me with ATI. These is the reason why i am using Nvidia cards and not ATI. Never had problems with Nvidia.

As far as the new Playable Tiger, It's like a totally new vehicle I reworked
the entire way it operates. For example you can now (gear 3 max) move
through the forest in manual drive. You all so have a full range of reverse
gears and the problem with the engine dying is history. Now you have
the fell of a real engine that RPM is governed. You start your engine and
increase it's RPM to your preference (I set it at 2200 RPM) and March! March!.

It is really a pleasure to drive the Tiger now - you'll see

Mr Zee dont say things like that because sitting here (not having the chance to try it right now) and hear these awefull news makes me nervous. Cant wait to see frinik and morty on the battlefield too and smell the powder of my Tigers gun.

The new Tiger AI's are a real enhancement to the over all game too. They
are still very aggressive and perform beautifully well, I am very pleased
with the new LOD method I designed. The lessons learned through trial
and error will be used in all of the new and current AI models (including the
Panther D) and of course the things learned about the playable tanks have
really opened the potential of this sim far more then I could have hoped for.
And in time I will convince you as well.
AND - I have been testing with all video options set full (except forest animation, I have off).

Just one question. You said this is a new tank model. Will be there a MG gunner too or maybe as an AI? I can not remember if that guy fired at infantry.

Can you give us a date when the new model will be available? It want only to know when i have to fire up my 700PS Maybach Engine.

See you all in battle dress

LC

PS: very nice tanks, al ittle bit mud and look at the cupolas. WOW!!! Early and late types.
Old 09-05-10, 08:46 AM   #1464
tvt_addict
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KdF View Post
OK, as a long time GamingComp builder, I say HEAT!
GPU, Prosessor or video card,even memory. I say to try this before anything else................
After trying various combinations I am inclined to agree with you, and I reckon its the GPU. I have played World of Tanks for a few hours the past couple of days and it freezes after about four. The CPU isn't overclocked and it has the alarm set at 70 degrees, which has never activated.

The GeForce9500GT card is a slimline version that I took from my Dell. Interestingly the Dell blew the PCIE socket, which was where this card was residing. I may look at an alternative graphics card as there is not a lot that I can do about this one, it has an inbuilt fan and I have restricted the speed to 100mhz. I have tried all sorts of combinations of game settings in various games, and although Tvt in its various guises locks the pc up pretty quickly, WOT will also do it as mentioned after a few hours.

At least now that I have a decent size case and motherboard I am free to buy whatever I want, the Geforce was just about the only one available that would fit the Dell case and mobo when I bought it.

There is some free software that I can use to analyse the GPU temp, but I can't remember what it is called??

Ho hum...more expense?

Cheers

Rob G
Old 09-05-10, 02:09 PM   #1465
ZeeWolf
Sea Lord

Hey KdF,frinik,LC,tvt_addict,

I got to thinking about the possibility that ATI cards had a nHancer type
utility and (to my surprise) I found one that can replace or work with the
Catalyst program, called "ATI Tray Tools".

I've have the ATI HD4770 cranked up to 830 on the GPU
and 1000 on the mem.

Here it is set to GPU 500 and mem to 850

Here it is OC'd to GPU 830 and mem to 10000

"ATI Tray Tools" is more complicated then nHancer but has far mor control
over your video cards features including Over Clocking and temperature
control. And includes a bench mark test too. So, you can experiment
slowly and methodically with some real powerful video tweaks.
And frinik, I think you could do this man, one step at a time until you get
the hang of it, you'll love it.

http://www.guru3d.com/

http://www.guru3d.com/article/ati-tray-tools-/

Give it a try Kameraden!

And LC the release of the new Tigers will be in the larger Grand Release coming maybe by the end of the month.

Vorwärts Kameraden!

ZW

Old 09-05-10, 03:22 PM   #1466
tvt_addict
Swabbie

Just checked...my GPU does not support temp monitoring. What I have done is add TvT to the applications list, and I will see if that keeps things under control.
Old 09-05-10, 11:13 PM   #1467
eddie
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 99

new models look great Z!! I hope you will concider painting the Tigers with a bit more of a used look, because by this time period during the war, I doubt they would have looked brand new, right off the show room floor,lol

Al Capone
eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-10, 11:24 PM   #1468
ZeeWolf
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie View Post
new models look great Z!! I hope you will concider painting the Tigers with a bit more of a used look, because by this time period during the war, I doubt they would have looked brand new, right off the show room floor,lol
Hi eddie,
I will. I still need to weather the edges a bit with some exposed metal and
some more dried mud. But I got to say your going to love the Panther D man.
I am keeping that hid for awhile longer, but it looks marvelous.

ZW

Old 09-06-10, 01:29 AM   #1469
LcSummers
XO

Default HI ZW

HI ZW!

http://www.guru3d.com/

http://www.guru3d.com/article/ati-tray-tools-/

Thank you for these informations. Here i always downloaded the Forceware Driver for my GC.
BTW I have an enhancer for my Nvidia. It was suggested for IL2 modded version.

Its called nHancer32_2.5.9_Setup

Thanks alot!

And LC the release of the new Tigers will be in the larger Grand Release coming maybe by the end of the month.

Great. I am very corious! How big will be the Grand release be!
1TB. Hopefully not, my hdd has only 1 TB.

Die Augen geradeaus!

LC
Old 09-06-10, 02:56 AM   #1470
Dietger
Watch

Downloads: 80

Greatings to all!

Just ordered my TvsT copy for 8.99€ ! And reinstalled Steel Beast pro.

ZeeWolf, what a great addition to tank simulation you undertake!!
Im looking forward to the release of your product - any release date yet?
Can I buy it with paypal?
Pictures and work you put into this are amasing!

Good luck!

Dietger

Last edited by Dietger; 09-06-10 at 08:03 AM.
Dietger is offline   Reply With Quote