SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-16-20, 07:56 PM   #1
clogger
Swabbie

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 0
Default Newbie question re installing SH4 and 5 and MODs

Hi
I have SH5 on Steam and gave up on it a few years ago. Never really got deeply involved with it. However I am now keen to try the SH series again. (Just coming to the end of Fluckey’s book ‘Thunder Below!).
I saw that the Steam version of the SH series have problems so I have since bought the Ubi version of SH4 and SH5 and have yet to download them onto my PC.
I’m a bit of a newbie when it comes to using Mods.
What’s the Order I need to follow when it comes to downloading the Ubi SH4 and 5 onto my PC, and going through the process of installing the MOD software? And do I need to uninstall the Steam SH5?
clogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-20, 09:30 AM   #2
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by clogger View Post
Hi
I have SH5 on Steam and gave up on it a few years ago. Never really got deeply involved with it. However I am now keen to try the SH series again. (Just coming to the end of Fluckey’s book ‘Thunder Below!).
I saw that the Steam version of the SH series have problems so I have since bought the Ubi version of SH4 and SH5 and have yet to download them onto my PC.
I’m a bit of a newbie when it comes to using Mods.
What’s the Order I need to follow when it comes to downloading the Ubi SH4 and 5 onto my PC, and going through the process of installing the MOD software? And do I need to uninstall the Steam SH5?
probably not. i am not experienced in Steam but many users have both apps, so you are probably good to go in that regard.

welcome to subsim. consider becoming a donor to our little group here.

some advice i CAN offer: be sure to purchase Silent Hunter 4 Gold Edition with Uboat Missions (Ver 1.5) because most of the excellent mods here require this version.

spend some time and read THEBERSTER's newbie guide. there are a few more apps you may want to download to enhance your SH4 play. https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=219029

good luck.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-20, 10:47 AM   #3
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

clogger!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-20, 03:48 PM   #4
clogger
Swabbie

Thanks Guys
Hopefully I’ll find the experience more fulfilling this time.
I’ll checkout the donation site
Old 09-17-20, 08:45 PM   #5
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

The Steam versions of both SH4 and SH5 are fine for modding, just different. Fot SH5, you will have to satisfy the itch with TWoS. Sobers collection will not run on a Steam nor a Ubisoft version. SH5 si not worth the bother if you don't do a mod on it. The Ubisoft version is also a bit difficult to mod for TWoS, but THEBERBSTER also has a tutorial for that. Steam SH4 is fine for modding, though as KaleunMarco mentions, you will have to purchase the Steam version of the Uboat Missions Addon in order to be able to mod the game. The Ubisoft version does fine with all mods.

In all cases, you do NOT want to allow the games to install to the default "Program Files" folders of any name. You want to create a path of your own to install the games to. It is easiest to make a new Root Directory, such that when the install for Steam (as an example) comes up, it will show
"C:\Program Files (x86) \Steam \SteamApps \common \Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific". Edit the line to read something like "C:\Games \Steam \SteamApps \common \Silent Hunter..." etc. - Unless of course, you already have other Steam games installed, and then you cannot create a new "Steam Library" folder on that same hard drive. Consult Moving a Steam Installation and Games for info on that...

Do similar with the Ubisoft installs. You do NOT want a DirectX v9.0c game (ie: SH3, 4, or 5) ending up in a "Program Files" folder. Windows "Protects" them from users like us, and will not allow any "unauthorized" editing of certain files in the "Program Files" folders, nor any other Windows system type folders... You also have to install the DirectX v9.0c and the Windows codecs that come with the games, so that the proper library files are in the Windows DirectX folders. They will not harm the current Windows DirectX version, and will only add files missing since v10 of DirectX...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-20, 03:57 AM   #6
clogger
Swabbie

Thanks for that Propbeanie. Appreciate the info.
Old 09-22-20, 07:29 PM   #7
clogger
Swabbie

Basically I have SH4 and 5 for download from Ubi library.
Can I just download these on a newly created folder in my E drive called SH4 for example?
Then do I download the Theberbsters mega mod zip folder into my SH4 folder? And extract files there?
It’s all looking very confusing finding my way round this Forum. There seem too be so many options available for downloads, modding etc.
I simply just want to start on the right foot with a good SH4 sim download with the appropriate Mods available.
Old 09-22-20, 10:10 PM   #8
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by clogger View Post
Basically I have SH4 and 5 for download from Ubi library.
Can I just download these on a newly created folder in my E drive called SH4 for example?
Then do I download the Theberbsters mega mod zip folder into my SH4 folder? And extract files there?
It’s all looking very confusing finding my way round this Forum. There seem too be so many options available for downloads, modding etc.
I simply just want to start on the right foot with a good SH4 sim download with the appropriate Mods available.
you are going to need Jones' JGSME to manage the mod process.
the app
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloa...do=file&id=655
users' guide
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloa...o=file&id=3814

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-20, 10:59 PM   #9
clogger
Swabbie