SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-26-07, 08:39 AM   #1
Sgian Dubh
Officer

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Crew management/recruiting for your sub

Hi all,

So when you're in port and have an opportunity to gain crew I am wondering if there is any benefit to filling all of the watch slots, filling the gun crew slots and the filling the damage control slots.

I have tried and there is no "Maximum crew" apparently, which seems silly.

WHat I have been doing is filling the three watches, and then pulling people from the watches to man the guns, etc. as needed.

It doesn't make sense to me that the gun crews just sit in the bottom slots doing nothing unless you man the guns.

Another thing I have noticed is that the guys in the gun-crew slots will sleep (the "Zzzzz" thing, but people in the damage control 'rack' do not sleep and you have to rotate them around to make sure they don't get too worn out.

Although I did, once, grab a sleeping crewmember and stick him in a gun crew slot (while submerged) and he stayed asleep.

It is very confusing.

WHat I wish is that you could designate (right-click) on certain crew members for the gun-crews and for damage control. Then they should stay in their watch billets untill you 'activate' the gun crew(s) and/or damage control party. I find having to pull people around once you have damage (bad planning, perhaps, on my part) usually results in sinking before you can get the damage control party set up.

I also think, concerning damage control, that you should be able to pre-set the priorities on systems (think of them as standing orders) for which systems, if damaged, get top priority.

I am curious how others are dealing with this....
and in the darkness sink them.\"

with apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien
Sgian Dubh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-07, 10:21 AM   #2
CrocodileDundee
Mate

Downloads: 11

Yeah, I noticed that myself, there seems to be "no limit" to the crew (e.g. you can recruit as many people as you have spaces on the sub.

Also, shouldn't the officers have 3 qualifications instead of just one?

I think you can fill your sub with officers... (if you could mod the reown).
Old 03-26-07, 10:30 AM   #3
Anachronous
Medic

Downloads: 22

I have also noticed this. I have around 90 crew on my sub now. I found it best to fill all those slots because of the problems with manning those stations during an emergency as you described.

There have been times that the repair team sleeps though. I dont cycle them at all, I just leave them there.

The other thing is it does seem as though you can fill your sub with officiers if you have enough renown. I havent seen any limits.

There should be some form of crew limit to allow for some strategic management, but at the same time they need to fix the cycling of the battle stations crew, so you can assign people.

Some officiers do have 3 skills, they have a bonus skill, such as one for decreased torpedo loading time or getting more power from the engine.

There is a certain lack of description in any of the sub management screens whilst in port. You arent told how many crew, how many officers, what different torps do, and there is no info on your sub.
Old 03-26-07, 10:33 AM   #4
Fat Bhoy Tim
Watch Officer

Downloads: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anachronous
There is a certain lack of description in any of the sub management screens whilst in port. You arent told how many crew, how many officers, what different torps do, and there is no info on your sub.
It's like deja vu all over again.
Old 03-26-07, 10:40 AM   #5
Loaf
Mate

Downloads: 9

At first I thought that the designated gun and repair crews would stay at their normal watch-keeping stations until ordered... I was disappointed to see this was not so. It would fit the new logic where the skipper sets the watches but does not have to drag individual crew to their slots... You should just cbe able to click "man the guns" or "man damage control" and the pre-assigned crew go to those posts.

One funny thing about the guncrews - I had all of my pre-selected gun crew wounded by an aircraft attack when the guns were NOT manned!
Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-07, 10:52 AM   #6
Sgian Dubh
Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loaf
At first I thought that the designated gun and repair crews would stay at their normal watch-keeping stations until ordered... I was disappointed to see this was not so. It would fit the new logic where the skipper sets the watches but does not have to drag individual crew to their slots... You should just cbe able to click "man the guns" or "man damage control" and the pre-assigned crew go to those posts.

One funny thing about the guncrews - I had all of my pre-selected gun crew wounded by an aircraft attack when the guns were NOT manned!
It is because of a symbiotic relationship between the gun crews and their guns. wink, wink, nudge-nudge
and in the darkness sink them.\"

with apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien
Sgian Dubh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-07, 11:41 AM   #7
Loaf
Mate

Downloads: 9

I also noticed that you can manually fire all guns without crewing them...
Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-07, 02:17 PM   #8
Iron Budokan
Sea Lord

Downloads: 32

How do you know when your men are sleeping? I've clicked on all of them them but haven't seen any "Zzz".

http://kennethmarkhoover.com
Iron Budokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-07, 02:40 PM   #9
sgt.weasle
Watch

when i man battle stations underwater my deck gun crew is sitting at the guns... lol.. aquamen..
sgt.weasle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-07, 08:59 PM   #10
thehiredgun
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 517
Default Crew

How do you gain & replace your crew members?
thehiredgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-07, 09:06 PM   #11
Iron Budokan
Sea Lord

Downloads: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehiredgun
How do you gain & replace your crew members?
You can do it in port. You can buy new men with your renown and replace the slackers in your crew. You can also click and drag 'em around on the boat.

http://kennethmarkhoover.com
Iron Budokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-07, 09:16 PM   #12
StandingCow
Weps

Downloads: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Budokan
How do you know when your men are sleeping? I've clicked on all of them them but haven't seen any "Zzz".
Shouldn't have to click on them, you will see little Zzz's on their picture. Also, if they aren't sleeping make sure you dont have all the crew to stations button active.
Old 10-14-20, 05:32 AM   #13
Subsimfans
Nub

Downloads: 11
Default Keep dismissed crew?

Hi

I have a question about the dismissed crew that i can't find the answer anywhere.

If i dismissed a crew at the office and start a new patrol. Can i get him back after this new patrol?
Subsimfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-20, 05:14 PM   #14
fireftr18
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsimfans View Post
Hi

I have a question about the dismissed crew that i can't find the answer anywhere.

If i dismissed a crew at the office and start a new patrol. Can i get him back after this new patrol?
Short answer is no.
Once you dismiss a crew member, the file is erased. The game may later on create a new crew member with the same name, and possibly similar skill level.
I think.
Old 10-18-20, 05:53 PM   #15
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireftr18 View Post
Short answer is no.
Once you dismiss a crew member, the file is erased. The game may later on create a new crew member with the same name, and possibly similar skill level.
I think.
fireftr18 is correct.
once a crewman is dismissed he cannot be recalled.
and yes, you may see new, available crew appear with the same name as the dismissed crewman but that is only because there is a limited number of names available.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote