SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-26-13, 09:47 AM   #1
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 132
Uploads: 0
Default [REL] Real volumetric clouds&fog!! (and is almost done!)

Update 29/10/13
Version 2.2 is up!

From the readme:

Quote:
==========================================
29/10/2013
Sh3 volumetric clouds&fog by Rubini v2.2

News/modifications on this v2.2:

- This version is a mix: it have almost the same from v1.0 added with compact clouds here and there. Also the overall color was bit more white, more like real clouds. Note that I didnīt achieve to have that real life grey nuances of real clouds because we havenīt shaders to play with. But the result seems good.

- The clouds&fog are now more random, I mean sometines they are on, sometimes they are off, with a good smoth transition between these states.

- New near (but high in your head) clouds that crossing the sky.

- More "white&soft" textures

- A lot of tweaks here and there

- This version comes with 3 scene.sim files, choose and rename acordingly:

1. scene.sim (default) with continuous central clouds&fog, the wheather is fogged almost the time. IMO, this fit better the overall feeling of the mod.

2. scene.rnd_CC optional version with a non continuous central clouds&fog, the environment is less fogged and more clean almost the time.

3. scene.no_CC optional version without central clouds&fog, environment is clean all the time, just clouds here and there.

Installation:

This v2.2 comes with the same test mission from version 1.
To install, just enable it with JSGME.

Last comments & Limitations:

- We have not clouds like in sh5 and we have not correct clouds specifically for each wheather state.

- This version have more "random" clouds, but this effect needs some time to appears in all its glory because the particles have different times that will be more and more evident as the time pass into the game (particles are only generated until certain amount of Time Compress. Above this value they will be reseted again and again.)

- I looked a lot for the clouds on the sky last past days and i saw how random, big and beautiful are our real sky&clouds! And sometimes i found skies exactly "like" the one you have now with this mod!!!

- This mod is complemented with the stock sh3 clouds sky. The idea is that the small and/or far way clouds are already into the game with its own textures&sky dome. This mod suplies some more big and near clouds, take this in mind.

- The overall result can vary because this is very much environment dependant: I mean colors, sea state, sky textures, sky dome&fog size, etc. So, please, note that this is adpated to my own self adjusted environment. Probably some adjusts will be needed for specific environment mods.

- This is a WIP and your feedback is very welcome!

Cheers!

Rubini.

================================================== ==================
================================================== ==================

Old v1.0 readme (read it also please!)
14/10/2013
Sh3 volumetric clouds&fog by Rubini v1.0
What this mod do?
- as the name said, it adds volumetric clouds&fog to the sh3 environment.

How it works?
- it uses particles generators attached to the sky node to generate a "fog" which at some distance is seen as clouds. This first release is about a "foggy" environment only. No real 3d "clean" clouds yet - soon in the next release... . But it is already, IMHO, very, very impressive...

How to install?
- this mod uses the scene.sim file. In this file I also added the "moon light mod" (see below how to disable this one if you donīt want it). Itīs packed with two versions, the "stock" one is an almost continuous fog/clouds generation, and the other one is a more random and "light" version (means less fog/clouds in general). Before install, choose your version, rename the files accordingly and install using JSGME.

- I provided a test mission "1_Vol_fog_test.mis" with a noFog, noClouds sh3 env, at day light with some planes (just go ahead for few minutes and the planes will find you). Take a look at various views: bridge view, object view, free view; try to zoom in/out, go far, go high... take a roll around. You've never had a 3D sensation in the Sh3 world like this!!(can I also suggest that you usethese mods: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=202910 and http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=159136 ?)

** Note that some big mods could have changed the planes class that are in this single mission and then it can ctd. If you have this problem, please try another SM to test it. Anyhow, I tried to use a very basic plane - TBSSwordfish, with basic layout that can comes with rockets with you have them).

Last words:
- this mod donīt affect the sensors neighter the optics view, itīs really an eye candy type of thing only. Also it is reseted if you pause the game for some time. Another thing to note is that it needs 1 or 2 minutes to really generate the first round of clouds.

- the particles have limitations and sometimes are very hard to work with. So isnīt possible to make clouds like in Sh5. Neither in shape, quantitity or dynamics. The Sh3 engine is old and limited. Take this in mind.

- the mod is suitable only for 16km environment for now (in truth, to make it 8km compatible is just a matter to adjust the clouds generators distances). And I canīt test it in all 16km variations. So, expect some necessary adjustment for specific environments, main about color and opacity. Eventually distance of the rendered clouds/fog too. Iīm at disposal for env modders to help in make it.

- the mod is all or nothing. I mean, the fog/clouds will always be generating/dying/rebirthing. Note that they will almost not be noted in medium/heavy fog&rain. Also is always possible to enable or disable this mod middle patrol. No save game problems, no ctds. Itīs universal, compatible with any sh3 (16km) install.

- this first release fits very well for no clouds/partial clouds, with or without light fog (perhaps even medium fog). Other wheather states need more clouds/fog and also nearer clouds/fog. I already have made these variations too, but we havenīt a way to make it changes automatically, unless by hardcode fix. A last idea for the future is to have some variations to be enabled randomically using Sh3 Commander. Isnīt the best solution, but is better than nothing.

- the next version will have "real 3d compact clouds". Letīs wait for feedbacks on this version first.

Credits and Aknowledgements:
- skwas for S3D, a real playground for SH modders!
- Testpilot, Flakmonkey and Makman94 to help me with cloud textures,
- Lara, my lovely daughter, for helping me with my bad english... :P

Good Hunt!
Rubini.
================================================== =============

**Spoiler**

Can I customize this mod?

- Yes. Just open the scene.sim file with s3d and look for:

1. In each cloud node, look for "FastParticle" propertie, then in "GlobalScale" look for "Opacity". Raise it to have more intense fog/clouds, lower it to have less intense fog/clouds. Obviously we have a lot of other things that can be changed&adjusted, but this one is the "easiest" one, mainly for the "Central_clouds" node. ("Central_clouds" node is, perhaps, the only one that deserves to be adjusted in this version).

2. If you donīt want the "moon light mod", look for "Light - MoonLight" node and make itīs "Parent id" equal to "0" (zero).

Link version 1.0:
Version 1.0

Link version 2.2:
Version 2.2

I forget to add/say: to have something like the pics below I also suggest that you use this tiny mod:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=159136
(some big mods like NYGM already have it i think)

Old first post, pics&movies:
(i reduced the amount of pics to maintain this first post more readable)

Update 02/10/13

Beta candidate is ready! I decided by a foggy discrete env that can be used with any sh3 wheater/env (well, it is not visible at sh3 heavy fog, see below comments on this situation). This discrete foggy env can be enable and forget, it will be always there in complement of stock sh3 "clouds" and wheather, works very well.

Below two new videos showing it "in action". It was a clouds clear&no fog wheather. Even at this extreme, the foggy effect merge very well. I guess that in real life the high seas is always (or almost the time) a bit foggy by the wind, waves spray, evaporation, etc. This was the idea here, and also the best that i could make to accomodate the mod limitations and sh3 odds.

Notice the planes, look at the high foogy (not real clouds indeed); the planes and the sky are much more immersive now.

Here:

(try to see it in HD)

ETA in few days ahead, i will go again on my 36 hours work turn tomorrow, so we need to wait a bit.
The heavy fog wheater will have a different file that can be enabled in such situation by the player (or just ignore it).
=================================================

Hy guys,

Today I wakeup very early in the morning, 5:30hrs, my youngest son Gabriel went in a trip with his friends at scholl ... then after he goes inside the bus and all "goodbyes and kisses" I look for a place to drink a cup of coffe and was thinking about an old desire, an idea to have real clouds in Sh3. Could be this possible?

I turn on my PC at 7:30, my mouse is broken but with an effort and the correctly way it startup sh3 and S3D. At 10:30 I becomes to smile! More and more! Now at 11:30 I start this thread with the below pics! Soon in a PC near you!

The effect is totally customizable, we can have low fog, high clouds, etc, they have wind movement, are very "natural". I made all these pics using only one texture that is far from the ideal to make clouds.

Please, if someone have good skills with textures (3 or 4 are enough) help me (help all us here) to finish this mod. They must be in simple sh3 format (tga with transparency) more or less 2048x2048 or 1024x1024. I tried some at the net but I just found this one.

The mod is very simple, it is only one file again, and compatible with any sh3 installation, because itīs not in conflict with anything.

Ahoy!!

Rubini.

Update 28/9/13:

Heavy clouds/heavy fog video:

(notice that the compressed video donīt show all fog grey nuances in all itīs glory. See it at HD resolution for best view. )

Partial cloud/light fog video:

(notice the clouds slow random movements and the clouds discrete reflections and ambient oclusion by sun light).

Last edited by Rubini; 10-30-13 at 12:00 AM.
Rubini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-13, 10:04 AM   #2
Myxale
Admiral

Downloads: 70

Wow. Dude are you even mortal?

Amazing

Myxale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-13, 11:12 AM   #3
sublynx
Sea Lord

Location: In the conning tower of my VIIC scanning the sea through the periscope
Downloads: 173
Uploads: 7

First the underwater particles and then moon light and now this

I think Onkel Neal should raise You to a status of Subsim demigod
sublynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-13, 12:06 PM   #4
brett25
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 570

really cool, Rubini!
brett25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-13, 12:14 PM   #5
makman94
Hellas

Downloads: 182
Uploads: 7

does my eyes telling me the thruth, Rubini ?

Mediafire page:http://www.mediafire.com/folder/da50.../Makman94_Mods

Last edited by makman94; 09-26-13 at 12:27 PM.
makman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-13, 12:33 PM   #6
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Thanks guys!
Iīm just a very stuburn guy with curiosity.

Anyhow, spent last few hours trying to refine some odd behaviours and itīs going ok but not perfect as the majority of mods. Crossing fingers to achieve to make it yet better.

I will start a 36hrs work turn in an hour, so, no modding work for almost 2 days ahead.!.

See you later!
Old 09-26-13, 12:49 PM   #7
VONHARRIS
Konteradmiral

Downloads: 300

Rubini , this is awesome.
People , like yourself - modders - are those who keep the game alive for us - players!

I can't thank you enough!
Looking forward to using this one!
VONHARRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-13, 01:11 PM   #8
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Amazing what talent can squeeze out of the old SH3 engine

Better than talent, it's pure genius. YOU
Old 09-26-13, 03:03 PM   #9
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3211

Awesome, Rubini!!!

There are some nice clouds textures in www.flightsim.com or www.avsim.com, for Flight Simulator X, and are free download. I think these textures could be adapted to SH3 formats.

Many thanks and best regards!

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-13, 04:30 PM   #10
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
Awesome, Rubini!!!

There are some nice clouds textures in www.flightsim.com or www.avsim.com, for Flight Simulator X, and are free download. I think these textures could be adapted to SH3 formats.

Many thanks and best regards!

Fitzcarraldo
Thanks again mates!

@Fitzcarraldo: avsim and others FS related foruns were the first place that I looked for clouds textures. But FS format donīt have transparency and are small ones. We need medium/big ones (1024x1024 or 2048x2048 for example) with good alpha channels. Isnīt dificultty but needs some time to find (or build) ones. So, if someone have them or make one let me know.
Old 09-27-13, 12:01 AM   #11
jaxa
The Old Man

Downloads: 413

Rubini, your mod looks very good but story about creating it shows us genius during work
Your head is full of ideas and fortunately for us they become real addons for SH3.
Thanks for your superb work mate
jaxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-13, 03:20 AM   #12
Testpilot
Torpedoman

Downloads: 107

Hi Rubini nice work. Here are some simple Clouds maybe for Sh3 (1024x1024). If you like ... i upload them.

Last edited by Testpilot; 09-27-13 at 03:34 AM.
Testpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-13, 04:22 AM   #13
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

This has amazing potential Rubini...wishing you fair winds and following seas

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-13, 06:03 AM   #14
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Testpilot View Post
Hi Rubini nice work. Here are some simple Clouds maybe for Sh3 (1024x1024). If you like ... i upload them.
@Testpilot
Hi mate,
Yes, of course they are ok. They just must be individual clouds. Please send the link here or by pm.

@ Update on the mod:

At first, i am at RL work yet for the next 24hrs and i am typing from my cel phone.
Yesterday i had some hours at night and have made some more progress. At current state i noticed some bugs/limitations:

1. The clouds are particles and have the same behaviour from smokes on sh3. The more noticiable is that they vanish when you look to them very close.
Old 09-27-13, 06:20 AM   #15
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Continuing... (#%&* cel)

2. The clouds are generate in a e area more or less 8 km around you ( even using 18 km env). Its very ok for 8km but a bit odd for 16 km. obviously this is only. noticiable at high altitudes or using object view for distant contacts.

3. No fps drops! And i have only a middle end machine ( i5 8gb gtx560 1 gb)

4. By particles system limitation they are "reseted" from save load games or if you leave the area (object view) for long time.But they are generated again in few seconds. For normal game perspective it will work ok.

5. They dont alter sensors in anyway. Are really an eye candy immersion type of thing only.

6. My next step will be try to overpass these exposed limitations by adding more particles controllers ( for now its only one with only one texture), varing the places on 3d space to generate them, more d textures and layers. Also will try to attach them to others places like cameras or others tricks.

7. They can have reflexion but as the clouds are "white" they end in. making the entire env to much clear mainly at night. Needs a work/solution here.

Last edited by Rubini; 09-27-13 at 06:40 AM.
Rubini is offline   Reply With Quote