SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > Wolfpack
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-12-19, 12:40 PM   #1
Lancezh
Seaman

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0
Default Physical Raobf and Attack Disk now available, also usable for Wolfpack

After a long iteration and some problems that needed solving i'm finally ready with ma Raobf that you can use for Wolfpack as well. You've probably already seen my thread in the general forum and i apologize for the spam, i'm not sure how to delete threads, either way, here's

The RaobF Disk:

The Attack Disk:

You can look at them in detail here
https://www.etsy.com/shop/wellplayedch

I will also make a tutorial for them and provide some files for those who want to print those fantastic tools for themselves out of paper with these graphics. All in due time though, i hope to get it done in the next couple days.

Last edited by Lancezh; 04-12-19 at 01:38 PM.
Lancezh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-19, 06:03 PM   #2
rolandslaw
Bosun

Downloads: 66
Default The Attack Wheel

Just received the very nice Attack Wheel... Great job.

i am going to add backing to allow me to pick it up without the three wheels coming out of position. That is what I did in mine... that I can not find:<)

In mine... since the three rings were all of thick gloss white paper. or thicker material ........ the paper was cut around the outer edge of each ring... the paper within the ring was not cut away. Then All I did was place the rings in correct position on top of each other... and pin through center.... each ring was able to be moved independent of the others while being held upright..... the markings on the rings are printed on the high gloss thick paper....

In your design... the above needs to be modified to .... tomorrow I am going over the office supply and c if I can find the thick backing I will need....

Roland / CyStryker
rolandslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-19, 05:56 AM   #3
Elphaba
Neptune's daughter

Downloads: 164

Are you going to combine both onto one 'disc' that can be picked up and held whilst being used? i.e. RAOBF on one side, AD on the other?
Elphaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-19, 01:41 PM   #4
tofoftofof
Swabbie

Downloads: 120

Do please share the files you created! Particularly for the RAOBF, since noone else has made a printable / laserable one.

Shipping from Switzerland seems silly when there's a laser cutter in a fablab just down the street from me.
tofoftofof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-19, 06:31 PM   #5
rolandslaw
Bosun

Downloads: 66
Default two sided disk

That is well beyond my capacity to create a two sided disk out of thick paper stock. I am going over to a print shop Friday morning with color pdfs of the Whizs wheel and the attack disk.... still looking for my printouts of the FAOBF..... if I find it I will post it...
CyStryker
rolandslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-19, 09:41 AM   #6
blackswan40
LSH-2022 Liaison Officer

Downloads: 589
Uploads: 30

RaobF Disc Arrived this Morning a bit of a different Design than the Original one posted on the forum but excellent Quality very happy

Gees Mom where do the batteries go just kidding

any tutorials would be appreciated on the RaobF Disc I like the idea of using the same/similar Attack Discs real Submariners used in WWII

Thankyou Lancezh great piece of Kit and spare pegs too as we say in Yorkshire Jobs a good'un!

Last edited by blackswan40; 04-26-19 at 10:05 AM.
blackswan40 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-19, 11:00 AM   #7
skip
Helmsman

Downloads: 379

Hi all

Some question with regards to the RAOBF wheel.

Will the wheel work for SH3, SH4 and SH5 or does it depend on the certain mods that ensure that the tick makes on the periscope view correspond with the scale on the RAOBF.

With regards to sharpness and clarity which one ( maple or acrylic ) is the better. I ask because I was thinking of purchasing the Acrylic version but I was concerned that with use over time scuffs and scratches would develop on the underside because of the contact with the mdf backing board and this would be seen because it is clear. Would some kind of velvet backing on the mdf board help to stop this do you think.

Thanks
skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-19, 12:07 PM   #8
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

The size scale is based on that of Wolfpack, which are in centi-radians. Which basically means a slope of 1 meter height, by 100 meter distance is used as the unit. It would depend on the mod which scale they follow. Better ask the creator of the mod if it is (mili-)radian based, or if it is sized in terms of degrees. The former is the most common way. Otherwise you would have to make reference calculations of ships in a friendly harbor with known mastheight or length at a known distance to a dock or something. Or true map positions with map-updates enabled.

I have an acrylic version of the attack disk (course solver) wheel with a wooden back plate. The laser printed side is on the top. So mine will not immediately wear off due to rotating. But the backside might reduce the contrast to the underground if wear develops. Unfortunately I am unable to say something about wear as I have not used it much because of lack of play time the past months. A velvet or some other soft cloth would seem to be a good idea if this develops. MY RAOBF is of MDF so can't relate to that either.
Old 08-06-19, 12:54 PM   #9
skip
Helmsman

Thanks for the quick reply, could you post a link to the wolfpack mod so I could read up on it.

Many thanks.

Also to the designer of these tools if you could find a way to make the german ones ie Zeit Disk and the Angriffsscheibe I would definitely throw my wallet at owning them in the same build quality
Old 08-06-19, 01:20 PM   #10
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

It's not a mod. It's a game, and this thread is in the forum section for it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/490920/Wolfpack/
Old 08-06-19, 03:03 PM   #11
skip
Helmsman

Pices the acrylic attack disk you mentioned is it one of the versions on sale here, if so could you perhaps answer a few questions with regards to its ease of use and construction.

1. How is it built and does it hold together well with the pin

2. Do the discs move easily and hold their set position well

cheers