Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-07-21, 02:11 AM   #16
Sean C
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
I was gifted a Swiss Army knife by a co-worker nearly 20 years ago ...

That's awesome!

Just yesterday I was talking to a co-worker about a customer who remembered a small act of kindness he had done for her. I immediately remembered her, because she told me about it herself.

Now, I'm sure most of you know that a lot of "feedback" is negative, so the positive stuff stands out. Anyway, my co-worker said that whenever he runs into her, she stops and takes time to talk to him and ask how he is doing ... as if they are old friends.

Never underestimate the effect an act of kindness can have.
Old 04-07-21, 02:41 AM   #17
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
I was gifted a Swiss Army knife by a co-worker nearly 20 years ago; I had saved him from an embarrassing situation when he [...] anything in return and that, even if someone doesn't immediately express thanks, it doesn't mean they don't feel gratitude all the same; the knife is one of my most prized possessions...
Ha, that little beuaty almolst ende dup in my collecitonback then, too. Yes, its a clever little thing with those bits included. And it is still available, at least over here.
Old 04-07-21, 08:53 AM   #18
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean C View Post
That's awesome!

Just yesterday I was talking to a co-worker about a customer who remembered a small act of kindness he had done for her. I immediately remembered her, because she told me about it herself.

Now, I'm sure most of you know that a lot of "feedback" is negative, so the positive stuff stands out. Anyway, my co-worker said that whenever he runs into her, she stops and takes time to talk to him and ask how he is doing ... as if they are old friends.

Never underestimate the effect an act of kindness can have.

A lot of the things a person does out of kindness or a sense of wanting to help someone who is in a predicament often goes without notice or thanks, but the notice or thanks should not be the motive for our actions; sometimes you just kind of hope that the person you helped will, perhaps, remember what was done for them should they, in turn, come across someone else needing their assistance and be moved to extending their hand in aid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Ha, that little beuaty almolst ende dup in my collecitonback then, too. Yes, its a clever little thing with those bits included. And it is still available, at least over here.

I still use it often and used it, on the job, until health forced me into retirement; one of the downsides was/is, since 9/11, the degree of security at so many of the buildings and businesses I dealt with tightened up so over the years that it became a bit bothersome passing the tool (which is how I viewed it) through metal detector, searches, etc.; I even had a difficulty with one person in an office I worked in who was raising an alarm because they alleged what I had was a "dangerous weapon"; cooler, and higher ranking, heads prevailed, particularly after I calmly enumerated a slew of potential other "dangerous weapons" I could have used to harm the complainant in their own cubicle, although that person did give me very wide berth after my enumeration...

<O>
Old 04-07-21, 04:29 PM   #19
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

I finally received my Locksmith. It had to be shipped from Switzerland. Size-wise, it is identical to the Trekker in length and height (back spring to blade back). Since the Trekker is a three layer SAK and the Locksmith is a four layer SAK, the locksmith is a tiny bit wider. But the width is not that noticeable as both knives are rather large.

The Trekker is about 18mm wide and the Locksmith is about 21mm wide.

Carrying the Locksmith is not much different than carrying the Trekker. I feel that the Trekker is already too large to just put in a pocket.

I use a suspension clip so that the knife is hanging from the edge of the pocket and does not touch the bottom of my pocket. I just moved my suspension clip to the Locksmith and it carries just as easily or as uneasy as the Trekker.

The two knives are the same with two differences.

The Locksmith comes with an extra "blade" which is the dual sided file and the metal saw on the edge. I have to say that both files (one cross cut and one single cut) as well as the metal saw are quite aggressive. The file/metal saw on the Locksmith is considerably more aggressive than the file/metal saw on my Leatherman Wave + . I think that if I ever need to use either file or metal saw that it will be more than sufficient for any task that I would use a SAK/multi-tool for.

The second difference is a lot more contentious.

In life it is important to recognize that there are some issues that simply can not be compromised on. No I am not talking about pro life/pro choice, nor am I talking about the existence of god. What I am talking about is far more controversial and contentious than any of those

Serrated blade vs straight blade. There, I said it

Few issues will bring out the ire in knife enthusiasts especially SAK fanatics than this.

Serrated blades have advantages for cutting fibrous material such as rope and heavy multi layer cardboard. Another advantage is maintaining cutting ability longer when a blade needs re-sharpening

Straight blades have advantages over most other cutting tasks as well as being easier to sharpen when needed.

The Trekker, at least the model I have, has a hybrid blade. From the tip, 2/3rds is serrated and the last 1/3 is straight. I have always liked this as it gives the best of both worlds.

The Locksmith comes with a straight blade. This will take some getting used to. Fortunately, SAK blades are easy to sharpen and hone. You can even use the head of the tooth pick to help measure the 20 degree angle that Victorinox uses.

So far, I have not had a need, nor opportunity to use the wood saw or the metal saw on my Locksmith, but my first impressions are

1. The Trekker is still a very nice knife with the tools that come in very handy. I carried the Trekker for years and it is a good knife. In no way was I dissatisfied with the Trekker. I actually prefer the hybrid blade of the Trekker.

2. The Locksmith has the extra metal files and saw but still maintains a compact package. I am happy that I got it. I will have to see how I manage switching to the other side and start using a SAK with a straight blade.

Bottom line, you can't go wrong with either.

For me, I like having the extra files and saw for only about 3mm more in width.

And it does not have a corkscrew.

Which is the second most contentious issue in the universe - Phillips screwdriver vs corkscrew

I feel this will be the last SAK I buy until I buy the next one.

Last edited by Platapus; 04-08-21 at 04:43 PM.
Platapus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-21, 05:52 PM   #20
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375

i have had several over the years with me they don't hold up too good but thinking about it they was wal-mart el cheapos so they was probly junk to begin with
Old 04-07-21, 06:16 PM   #21
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

There are a lot of SAK knockoffs out on the market, so it is possible to sometimes be sold an inferior clone; SAKs are known for high durability, but they are not impervious to misuse or ill-use; mine is still in pretty good shape after nearly 20 years ans, aside from having to replace the little nick-knacks, like the toothpick (which I use for anything but picking teeth) and such, the knife is still sturdy and will probably serve until Victorinox starts selling the 'Space-X Orbital SAK'...

<O>
Old 04-08-21, 04:44 PM   #22
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

I have a Chinese knock off that I picked up who knows where/when. It stays in a small bag in my car just in case.

I have it, so I might as well keep it.
Old 01-06-22, 11:51 AM   #23
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

brandonmane!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-22, 01:10 PM   #24
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

I have several Victorinox's but my favorite has always been a Wenger.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-22, 07:53 PM   #25
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default 1 ft. wide & $7,000: WENGER #16999

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
I have several Victorinox's but my favorite has always been a Wenger.
You're gonna need a bigger pocket!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-22, 06:54 PM   #26
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

You're just trying to get me to say that my Wenger is smaller.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is online   Reply With Quote