SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-17-09, 09:36 PM   #46
UberTorpedo
Planesman

Downloads: 78
Uploads: 0
Ooh ooh, Very COOL!

EXECELLENTE!

I recommend everyone try this mission. Watching it in rolling seas is exquisite.
Go for it racerboy

cheers

UberTorpedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-09, 09:50 PM   #47
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberTorpedo
EXECELLENTE!

I recommend everyone try this mission. Watching it in rolling seas is exquisite.
Go for it racerboy
I'm glad to know it works on someone else's rig other than mine. That makes me feel good. Now I just have to figure out how to make it cast those shadows onto other objects

On a lighter note I was able to duplicate this onto the 20mm Single UFlak. This tells me my thinking from some posts back is correct when I took the 88mm apart! I didn't do all of the 20mm just a quick part to see if it would work.

The more I look at how this is done and the more I think about it, Privateer must have hard-coded these guns to the ships to make it cast shadows onto the ship (other than using the cfg# nodes). Hmm, something I'll have to try to see if it even works.

Last edited by TheDarkWraith; 02-17-09 at 10:51 PM.
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-09, 11:20 PM   #48
rascal101
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 200

This potential mod seems to be going very well, I notice the shadows for the gun but what about the crew - can this also be modded too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberTorpedo
EXECELLENTE!

Go for it racerboy
I'm glad to know it works on someone else's rig other than mine. That makes me feel good. Now I just have to figure out how to make it cast those shadows onto other objects

On a lighter note I was able to duplicate this onto the 20mm Single UFlak. This tells me my thinking from some posts back is correct when I took the 88mm apart! I didn't do all of the 20mm just a quick part to see if it would work.

The more I look at how this is done and the more I think about it, Privateer must have hard-coded these guns to the ships to make it cast shadows onto the ship (other than using the cfg# nodes). Hmm, something I'll have to try to see if it even works.
rascal101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-09, 07:16 AM   #49
Kar
Seaman

Downloads: 1
Default Absolutely stunning !

This mod brings at least 100% more atmosphere to the game !!
I wish that this will be applied on whole sub and crew.

Last edited by Kar; 02-18-09 at 10:12 AM.
Kar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-09, 11:44 AM   #50
Weiss Pinguin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 101

Personally I wouldn't mind if it was just on the ship, or maybe just the crew. Too many objects and I fear my machine will have a brainfart when I try this mod.
Old 02-19-09, 04:33 AM   #51
Anvart
Admiral

Downloads: 122
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvart
RB, your pics ... "Много шума из ничего" ...
Speech about shadow, not illumination ...
Hey Anvart, I have no clue what you said let alone do I really care. But let me pose this question to you....why not work with me on this? I know you're good with hex editing as I am. Oh, and this should put your whatever you said above to rest....

By replacing the light source from ambient to sunlight I was able to have the object cast shadows onto itself. Now I just have to have it project those shadows onto other objects.....
OK. Now i see ...
I do not see necessity of my participation in this work (SH3 and SH4 are not interesting for me for a long time) ...
You will make all well and correctly, i think ...
Good luck.

Moses said: "Don't create yourself an idol"...

Last edited by Anvart; 02-19-09 at 05:13 AM.
Anvart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-09, 04:44 AM   #52
Anvart
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaeger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Gruber
Brillianty stuff RacerBoy and a big thumbs up to your open attitude, its a refreshing thing to have.

Say NO to fuddy duddy modders, say YES to Glasnost!

absolutely correct. i hope privateer will read this and enjoy the process for the best result. more brains working on the same prob can find more ways...
I do not think so ...
Huge pleasure and cafe for
modder to make all own head and hands ...

Old 02-19-09, 05:01 AM   #53
Anvart
Admiral

Quote:
observation #4: the node the DynamicShadow light source is attached to DOES NOT need an SHD_ node attached to it.
The shadow model (as well as reflective model) is the simplified model ... and it is necessary that FPS did not decrease strongly ...

Old 02-19-09, 05:46 AM   #54
Anvart
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboywooly
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFRT-WHUFC
Just wondering if there was any news on the progress of the shadows?

thanks
Rick
Privateer had a major system failure which meant complete reinstall
I sympathise with him ...
One month ago i too have casually removed my folder "..\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005" both all my projects and executed codes by theme SH 3...4 "íàêðûëèñü ìåäíûì òàçîì" (russian slang) ...

Old 02-19-09, 07:47 AM   #55
Awful Smutje
Machinist's Mate

Location: Germany, about 200km upwards the Weser from bunker "Valentin"
Downloads: 0

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFRT-WHUFC
Just wondering if there was any news on the progress of the shadows?

thanks
Rick
Privateer had a major system failure which meant complete reinstall
I sympathise with him ...
One month ago i too have casually removed my folder "..\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005" both all my projects and executed codes by theme SH 3...4 "íàêðûëèñü ìåäíûì òàçîì" (russian slang) ...
I don't know, if there is something like this for Vista, but you can use Microsoft's "TweakUI" of the "Powertoys for Windows XP" to move your "My Documents" folder to another partition. After a system crash and reinstall of Windows, just reinstall powertoys and change the "My Documents" folder to the directory on the other partition. This saved many hairs on my head...
Old 02-19-09, 10:00 AM   #56
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Brillianty stuff RacerBoy and a big thumbs up to your open attitude, its a refreshing thing to have.

absolutely correct. i hope privateer will read this and enjoy the process for the best result. more brains working on the same prob can find more ways...
I do not think so ...
Huge pleasure and cafe for
modder to make all own head and hands ...
Anvart,

What you are referring to is 'god complex' or 'the peter principle'. I work with those kind of people day after day and they piss me off to no end. I either try to constantly put them in their place or make their life a living hell.
Yes, there is a certain recognition and personal pride that comes with being the first to discover something. But when you let that go to your head then you have issues.
I made a discovery, I shared it with everyone in hopes someone will see something I've missed or overlooked. I'd get more pleasure seeing a discovery grow and being used by others than just trying to figure it out myself. So Anvart anything you can find on this please share. This would bring much more immersion to the game. And who knows, maybe we can find a way to cast shadows onto the water......wouldn't that be cool?
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-09, 10:08 AM   #57
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946

Quote:
Yes, there is a certain recognition and personal pride that comes with being the first to discover something. But when you let that go to your head then you have issues.
I made a discovery, I shared it with everyone in hopes someone will see something I've missed or overlooked. I'd get more pleasure seeing a discovery grow and being used by others than just trying to figure it out myself. So Anvart anything you can find on this please share. This would bring much more immersion to the game. And who knows, maybe we can find a way to cast shadows onto the water......wouldn't that be cool?
Nice words there RB

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-09, 11:22 AM   #58
bigboywooly
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 35

Quote:
Quote:

He might read it but wont respond
Dont think Privateer is a member here any more

My mediafire page http://www.mediafire.com/?11eoq19bq9r41
bigboywooly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-09, 12:58 PM   #59
A6Intruder
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 22
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

He might read it but wont respond
Dont think Privateer is a member here any more
I could not belive that!! Why? Did i miss something? I hope he will return like Racerboy did. PLEASE There are not enough talented modders of his skill here.
Best regards
A6Intruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-09, 01:06 PM   #60
flakmonkey
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 78

This could add a whole new level of immersion, just imagine stalking a convoy at sunset, long shadows stretching out over the sea, this could be verrrry cool indeed.

Sadly i couldnt download RBs little test file so i opted for my own little quick and dirty option (just pasting the original sh3controllers file into my 1.4b/gwx3 installation), its got me all exited to see just what folks who know what theyre doing can acheive with this, keep up the excellent work