SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-18-21, 12:03 PM   #16
fireftr18
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Patriotofmany View Post
Yes that's a great idea! But ever since I backtracked and even updated FOTRSU without deleting the save file like we're supposed to it's been running nonstop no problems. Weird glitches. Thanks Mike BTW, I appreciate your posts!
Glad you got it sorted. Mods can cause some weird or sometimes funny glitches.

Old 07-18-21, 05:12 PM   #17
1Patriotofmany
Commander

Downloads: 92

HAHAHA I spoke too soon without knocking on wood. Guess I'll delete the save file after all.
1Patriotofmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-21, 05:26 PM   #18
1Patriotofmany
Commander

Since following the directions with a clean install, haven't had an issue. (Knocking on my head)
Old 08-10-21, 10:36 AM   #19
1Patriotofmany
Commander

Spoke too soon. Still having corrupt saves. This really makes playing the game a PITA. You get some good sinkings then you have to start again before you sank them. ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Why waste my time!
Old 08-11-21, 02:24 AM   #20
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Just to be certain, do you have LAA or the 4Gig Patch properly applied to the SH4.exe file? Also, don't shell-out to Windows while playing. Someone in the SH3 threads mentions being able to Pause the game, and use the <Windows><D> key in Windows 10 to get to the desktop and then do things, but I tried it on the Win7 machine downstairs and it still trashes the game. I have the screen on this computer "Windowed", and it does much better. Lastly, don't add and subtract mods, unless you're certain they are safe to do so. As to what is considered "safe"... If you use high TC, that can also cause issues, as can not waiting after you click the "Save" button before exiting. Saving when there is not much going on is safest, and I have Saved before while in the middle of a convoy and not had trouble later, but other times... Lastly, if you are still doing FotRSU v1.46 and earlier, if you encounter an IJN AI Sub, that can cause corrupted data that can result in the player's submarine gauges hanging at 12 O'Clock high, which is bad data, and could contribute to bad Save data. You could try the "[url-https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Vou5HqsViiQKX9Gw8sfOSiujMnBHKDiq?usp=sharing]FotRSU Preview[/url]" file, but put the "Preview EnlistedFix" on top of it. But, unfortunately, bad Saves have been a constant with the game. Better than SH3 was in that regard, but definitely not perfect.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-21, 08:20 AM   #21
1Patriotofmany
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Just to be certain, do you have LAA or the 4Gig Patch properly applied to the SH4.exe file? Also, don't shell-out to Windows while playing. Someone in the SH3 threads mentions being able to Pause the game, and use the <Windows><D> key in Windows 10 to get to the desktop and then do things, but I tried it on the Win7 machine downstairs and it still trashes the game. I have the screen on this computer "Windowed", and it does much better. Lastly, don't add and subtract mods, unless you're certain they are safe to do so. As to what is considered "safe"... If you use high TC, that can also cause issues, as can not waiting after you click the "Save" button before exiting. Saving when there is not much going on is safest, and I have Saved before while in the middle of a convoy and not had trouble later, but other times... Lastly, if you are still doing FotRSU v1.46 and earlier, if you encounter an IJN AI Sub, that can cause corrupted data that can result in the player's submarine gauges hanging at 12 O'Clock high, which is bad data, and could contribute to bad Save data. You could try the "[url-https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Vou5HqsViiQKX9Gw8sfOSiujMnBHKDiq?usp=sharing]FotRSU Preview[/url]" file, but put the "Preview EnlistedFix" on top of it. But, unfortunately, bad Saves have been a constant with the game. Better than SH3 was in that regard, but definitely not perfect.
I have the LBA installed, latest Fotrsu, started all over with the install, still it's random. Seems to occur more often after I get a new sub in port. Yeah, I know vanilla did this to me also. Just voicing my frustrations, Got two large IJN Navy ships in these saves, highly irritating. I tend to save and resume for a bit before leaving the game, and yes I never shell out anymore, not even to check and trade stock and options Maybe I'll give it a full minute or 2 when saving before doing a resume or exit game. How long in the game after a high TC run do you suggest waiting? Thanks again for the help!
Old 08-11-21, 12:30 PM   #22
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

If I think about it, I bring TC down to 1x, do a slow count to 3, then Save. Typing in a new unique name, clicking on the Save button twice (once for "focus", and once for "execution"), and then count to 3 again, then either continue or exit. Usually speaking, no "pause" is really necessary, but there are those instances where it is. The only way to find out if it was necessary, is to have a failed Load... that is not cool.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-21, 03:46 PM   #23
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

radar Re: saving after high TC...

What I do is a gradual step down from high TC (which I edit the main.cfg to only allow it to rack out to 256 & no higher. ) down to 1 TC... wait 3 minutes or so to 5. After that I then note the date & time (which I use in making My saves so that it's not exactly carbon copy.)

example:

P-1 M1-A 15/06/42 21:30 hrs

Breaking that down...

P-1 = Patrol am doing.

M1-A = current skipper, I use the next letter at the end to denote different named skippers. M1-A is J. T. 'Mad' Mardigan. Full name, James Tiberius Mardigan.. an homage to J. T. Kirk, a well known skipper in their own right.. at least space wise.

15/06/42 = In game date done as I recall the navy did back then... if I have My info right.. Day, followed by month, then year &...

Finally,
21:30 hrs ... time stamping, military style... that's 9:30 p.m. for land lubbers & non military folk...

After I enter in the pertinent data, I hit save... twice, once to clear the cursor out of the naming bar & the 2nd to save.

After saving, I'll go back to interior view in the sub then make for the bridge to just enjoy the view for... about 5 minutes before exiting.

I always do My saves when I know it's night & always vary up the time as I don't have to worry about the date... that rolls on. In addition, to also knowing I'm surfaced... only other things I make sure of, is no ships around & 70+ nm away from land (as is possible, that is... I generally try to avoid saving near land if at all feasible. )

That's just the way I do My saves & has worked great & have not had any issues with saves not loading when I go to get back in to skippering My sub.

Any way...

Hope this info helps...

M. M.

Old 08-15-21, 11:56 AM   #24
1Patriotofmany
Commander

Okay I've been waiting one minute or longer between the time I click save and resume, and one minute or longer for every step to exiting the game, haven't had a corrupt save even with ships close by and underwater. Knocking on wood(my head) because every time I think it's solved it's not Seems delaying during the save and resume or save and exit game steps is working.