SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-11-22, 02:44 PM   #1
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130
Uploads: 0

Default Better Internet connection

In the next several days my connection will jump to over 1 Gbps.
That will cost me around $110 a month.
I'm at 256 Mbps right now at about $60 a month.
So 5 times more speed at just double the cost.

In the next several months a second connection comes on line to increase that!
I've got all the equipment to blend the 2 and several Servers ready to go on line for purposes only I know at this time.

I'm also checking to see what the cost of a 20 Gbps feed would cost.

What speeds and costs of said feed do you pay?
Old 01-12-22, 04:23 AM   #2
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

1 Gbps would be around 100 Euros/month in our rural area. We have booked a 200 mbps line for appx. 30 Euros/month but it is an older contract and i will change. New ones are 500 mbps for 25 Euros. All tarriffs (you can book from a hundred Mbps to 1 Gbps) include certain streaming services and german land line telephone with three numbers, with free mobile calls if wanted
It is said that they can provide faster connections, but not yet though.

All came with new glass fibre network some three years ago, first year was free of charge when you switched from copper, and the house connection installation was free – was the icing on the cake since we are 40 meters from the street.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.

Last edited by Catfish; 01-12-22 at 04:34 AM.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-22, 02:12 PM   #3
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

I currently get 100-110 Mbit/s and a ping of 13 ms. The offer by Telekom is else comparable to what Catfish described. I pay 45 Euros per month, no data volume limitation.

since I got to these data speeds, I honestly see no need to get any faster (and costly), because right now I get instant reaction and website loading in my browser and could stream videos smooth and instantly. Any more speed I simply cannot make use of. I may see a difference in downloading huge-multi-GB file packages, but the usual patches of that size that come in are a thing of seconds right now, at best a minute if they are really huge, and how often is this beign done? Not very often.

Thats why I stick with my current contract. I may get four to six times the speed with a superior connection at only twice the cost, that sounds cheap, yes - but consideirng that I have no sue for this additional speed gain makes it indeed just a doubling of costs for no additional practical gain for me. Its like with driving a family car with 160 PS and a Lambo with 650 PS - in town it just ames no difference, you cannot make use of the additional 490 PS, and even if you get a smile price on the Lambo and pay 50% less it still is a waste of money for you. So, more speed I would only buy if it does not cost me more.

Reliability of connections and telephone VoIP is more relevant. And these have become worse with recent years, not better. Significantly worse. Not to mention that telephones both VoIP and mobile, would not work anymore in emergencies like the old copper cable networks often did with their independent power supply: even during blackouts, when lights did not work anymore, telephones still often worked.
Also, there are many maintenance downtimes in telephone VoIP and internet (its the same in the end) ovber here, the place these down hours (usually 10-60 minutes, but sometimes longer) into the wee early hours of the morning between 1 and 4 a.m., yes, but if there is a household with elder people and a medical emergency, it could make the difference between life an death. Also, I now face as many interruptions of cable telephone calls over the day as last time I used to see when I was a small boy in the 70s.Especially in summer, things (=internet) break down over here quite frequently.

No, with all good will: not everything has become better with our communication. Some things have gone back to standards seen 40 years ago. And redundancy of communication networks back then was even superior. Today, there are many options, yes: but they all root on just one basic structure nowadays. If that basic root of communications fail, then all these many shiny wonderfull playful options fail, too. There is no more redundancy worth the name. Not in my book at least.
Old 01-13-22, 12:23 PM   #4
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

I can see your not needing a faster connect.
I'd have to say I'm not an average user of the 'Net.

When I compare cost of services like MediaFire and other hosting services?
Then compare cost of Hosting on my own servers with a faster connection?
The price equals out and in some cases is cheaper for me.
It also gives me COMPLETE control where I avoid loss of Data Control like Photobucket did so many in the past.
I also run business software that I'd otherwise pay for!
My Servers are past systems re-used so I'm not increasing my out of pocket expenses.

Keeping everything 'In House' also allows me encryption that can't be hosted elsewhere. No need for you to know why I need that type security.

Another BIG advantage for me is the ability to restrict access by several means.
I can block/allow by IP address, Browser Id, Password, etc.

Last edited by Jeff-Groves; 01-13-22 at 02:47 PM.
Jeff-Groves is offline   Reply With Quote