SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-09-20, 09:35 AM   #46
Amiral Crapaud
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikimcbee View Post
Which kind of Japanese subs will be in the game? (If there are any)

Pt-Boats?

S-Boats?

Oh we will simulate them of course. They're very important party poopers for US carriers all along 1942. Expect a few major types to feature, especially these of any type involved in failed or successful attacks on US carriers during that time.

PT Boats are planned too, and so are S-Boats (and by that we mean S class US subs, of course).

Cheers
Amiral Crapaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-20, 10:41 PM   #47
Amiral Crapaud
Electrician's Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikimcbee View Post
S-Boats?

Regarding this last request,

Say hi to our little friend
Old 05-15-20, 01:49 AM   #48
finchOU
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiral Crapaud View Post
Hi there!

Well
Nagumo's decisions were not so much based on over-confidence than actual events hampering the proper executions of the orders - and random events allowing the events to flow like they did.

Had the Chikuma scout found TF-16 like it should have had it flown properly its course, Nagumo would have received a spotting report before he got to re-order a second strike on Midway. It just snowballed from there. But as long as objective #2 (neutralize Midway as a base) is the first objective because objective #1 (sink any enemy carrier) is disabled by the absence of any sighting report, you can't blame him - and you can't blame the AI - for acting on what is then actual knowledge.

Miracle at Midway is a nice narrative but it is unfortunately largely weakened as a reference by the digging that has been made since then (especially by the iconic Shattered Sword you probably have heard about). Sorry if I am to disappoint you on this, but I sincerely recommend to read Lundstrom Black Shoe Carrier Admiral as a good example of what result we're trying to achieve. And yes, "wet decks" are part of the whole affair, otherwise where's the challenge
Thanks for the reply. I was getting the Overconfidence angle from a couple things. Nagumo's decision to turn towards the American units and close the distance directly took away a tactical range advantage his aircraft had over the Americans. A turn back North east would have bought critical time in a moment when the pre battle assumptions were just turned on their head. My other point was that the Japanese could have sent twice as many scouts out earlier to cover their flanks and avoid the whole disaster. If you are holding back half your force in reserve to strike enemy carriers anyway....you might as well use some of those assets for a pre dawn launch recon. Meaning they get to the end of their patrol bearing at first light.

I'll have to check those other books. Thank you so much for making this game.
finchOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-20, 10:48 AM   #49
Amiral Crapaud
Electrician's Mate

haha you're welcome!
Just don't hate me if we don't implement double-phased search patterns for the Japanese side on day 1 - honestly, Shattered Sword sort of debuked that myth too. Expecting the IJN to implement something that wasn't even a thing in the doctrine is a bit cruel. But we'll get there soon enough

Anyway - if anybody wants to know more about the game, Magz just did a small piece on us. Very nice content, if you ask me!

Cheers ^^
Old 05-22-20, 04:15 PM   #50
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 343
Icon14

As noted, "Battle of Midway" and many other books that came out postwar were based on incomplete or erroneous Japanese sources. The myth that IJN carriers had their decks loaded with attack planes and were about to launch a strike when the SBDs showed up is just that, a myth. "Shattered Sword" is a must read for anyone interested in WW2 carrier warfare. That said, the USN was lucky, the SBDs showed up at the perfect time, but then "luck" has made the difference in many battles...

Glad to see the Devs have done their research, the more I read up on this game, the more I look forward to it.
Old 05-25-20, 06:54 PM   #51
dsawan
Torpedoman

Downloads: 66

will there be a non-steam version too?
dsawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-20, 08:27 PM   #52
Amiral Crapaud
Electrician's Mate

Thank you for the support guys
As for a non-steam version, it's more of a publisher decision. We will start to talk about that when we'll have a game on our hands

In other news,

They say, better late than never. Well, now you get two dev updates for the price of one, so... good deal, I'd say!

https://drydockdreams.games/2020/05/31/a-new-dawn/

Our April-May entry for Task Force Admiral is here for you to enjoy. Cheers!

Old 06-03-20, 07:43 AM   #53
feld
Loader

Downloads: 22

You guys appear to be making one of my dream games and resurrecting my favorite company!

The thing that most excited me is that your team seems to understand that limited information and that "historical" games that give me modern blue force tracking and a tightly integrated common operational picture ...well...aren't "historical" in a very important way. I applaud the game design philosophy on your website wholeheartedly!

Already at the top of my Steam wishlist...this is an instant buy for me just because you're TRYING to do it!

V/R
field
feld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-20, 11:59 AM   #54
Amiral Crapaud
Electrician's Mate

Thanks my good man! It's always very appreciated to know that our work is, well... Appreciated
We'll do our best to do right by you, you can be sure of that. Thanks for your support and your trust all along the way!

In other news: we're getting close to our final result for dogfight logic. Here's our latest attempts at dogfight AI, ballistics & damage models

Just gotta teach them a few maneuvers, and the whole ballet will be in motion
Old 08-14-20, 12:54 PM   #55
Amiral Crapaud
Electrician's Mate

Hello there boys!

A new, smallish updates for those bored at the office today

https://store.steampowered.com/newsh...55783160563685

Enjoy the read - and stay safe, always, wherever you are

Cheers!
Old 10-27-20, 10:37 AM   #56
Amiral Crapaud
Electrician's Mate

Great, Happy Navy Day to all veteran and active servicemen and servicewomen of the Subsim community! From the Task Force Admiral team, with love!

Please take care and stay safe!
Old 11-22-20, 09:25 AM   #57
Amiral Crapaud
Electrician's Mate

Hello there
A new meaty update for all those who follow us!
New planes, new AI, new environment, you name it. Hopefully you will find this interesting enough to spare a few minutes on this one beautiful Sunday ^^

https://drydockdreams.games/2020/11/20/legends-fall/

All of you please take care and stay safe!

Old 02-07-21, 07:58 AM   #58
Amiral Crapaud
Electrician's Mate

Hello Everyone!

If you're not too tired of the PTO this week just yet, we have something more for you
Our latest Dev Diary is here!

Please feel free to come over there pay us a visit - and leave a like if you fancy what you read, it helps a lot for discoverability indeed. Just click on the pic below:

Cheers and everybody take good care!
Old 04-11-21, 12:14 AM   #59
Amiral Crapaud
Electrician's Mate

Hello there chaps!

We haven't been idle over the last few weeks, posting smaller updates left and right. A bigger one is incoming, but in the meantime here is some relevant contents from recent updates, including some bits of animated gameplay options for a change.

We're prototyping our menu & our soundtrack, care to tell us if you feel like the mood is adequate considering the topic? The footage is kinda old so no worries this will be changed and made more relevant, but it was picked based on the sort of feeling we wanted to convey more than anything. Hope it does the trick

And some extra 3D models posted during our March updates too:

As of late we've been posting a lot of 3D stuff, but it doesn't mean we've been inactive under the hood - quite the opposite actually. Although from the standpoint of aesthetics most remains to be done (it's somewhat there, just not cute enough to be showed according to our artists...), we have been very busy with the gameplay functions themselves.

One of the important features of Task Force Admiral are notably our advanced formation system, which will recognize two main types of formations - simple formations, and compound formations - which will be customizable and manageable to an extent that hasn't been done before in any game about the topic. This GIF from the formation editor within the mission editor proper gives you an idea of how easy and intuitive it is to move your ships around in a larger, multi-division task group. This destroyer division is being formed into a line formation, a bent line formation, a loose/customized formation, an arc formation, an echelon right and an echelon left formation using a few clicks.

This is not only necessary from a tactical standpoint, it is also the best way to ensure that we will be able to recreate meticulously historical task groups by placing ships where they ought to be when the information is available. The in-game configuration screen uses the same system, with an actual grid placed on your navigation table instead of a paper maneuvering board. Paired with the fleet defense interface that allows you to customize threat arcs and defensive air operations (Combat Air Patrols & Inner Patrols, mainly), the common interface allows you to remain familiar with the tools you use in both modes in order to achieve maximum efficiency.

Hope the wall of text didn't scare you! Feel free to comment, just bear in mind that it is very bare-bone. Don't worry, it gets only prettier from here

In other news, Yamato had a small tribute a few days ago too - I know some of you in here probably are fans of the Missy, so allow me to post a few good views of the Lady while I am at it

Old 04-17-22, 01:47 PM   #60
Oubaas
中国水兵

Downloads: 65
Icon14

Retired, real-life Navy here. It's looking quite interesting. Added to my Steam Wishlist. I'm in, whenever it gets released.

Oubaas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
indie, indie game, task force admiral