SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-25-16, 04:19 PM   #91
Nikita
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 119
Uploads: 0

I remember playing many campaigns in RSR and everyone was different. If this is the focus of CW I agree: the campaign in RSR was superb. This is the main strength of CW: RSR with DW graphics althought without stations. Real sensors in background and real physics with the captain (You) playing tactical decitions.

I wonder if there will be neutral and ally units. In RSR was your sub against enemy units only in tactical map. In strategic map you could see planes and satellites (NATO and USSR)
Nikita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-16, 05:47 AM   #92
Foxendown
Bosun

Downloads: 79

Quote:
Nikita wrote: I wonder if there will be neutral and ally units. In RSR was your sub against enemy units only in tactical map. In strategic map you could see planes and satellites (NATO and USSR)
I think this encapsulates the issue I raised earlier, is the old RSR model as described in this thread (I've not played it) still valid? Looking at the sensor capabilities of the 688 Flt.1 the towed array has an extreme range of 70 nm, ELINT 500 nm, RWR 120 nm. If you are suicidal and surface to use radar, the range is 90 nm. It would be odd to me if you could never pick up friendly contacts in the 3d tactical view and that you are always the lone wolf and never working with other platforms. That suits a WWII scenario but a modern one....I'm not so sure. I would have thought you needed a back story whereby you are cut off far to the north hemmed in by Soviet forces on all sides-that would be credible.

Sorry not wishing to appear negative, this looks like a very exciting sim and I do understand the need for compromise and the art of the possible.
Foxendown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-16, 05:32 PM   #93
Nikita
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxendown View Post
I think this encapsulates the issue I raised earlier, is the old RSR model as described in this thread (I've not played it) still valid? Looking at the sensor capabilities of the 688 Flt.1 the towed array has an extreme range of 70 nm, ELINT 500 nm, RWR 120 nm. If you are suicidal and surface to use radar, the range is 90 nm. It would be odd to me if you could never pick up friendly contacts in the 3d tactical view and that you are always the lone wolf and never working with other platforms. That suits a WWII scenario but a modern one....I'm not so sure. I would have thought you needed a back story whereby you are cut off far to the north hemmed in by Soviet forces on all sides-that would be credible.

Sorry not wishing to appear negative, this looks like a very exciting sim and I do understand the need for compromise and the art of the possible.
I think the extreme range of sensors will be useless because the tactical map has a much smaller scope. I think CW will be RSR with actual graphics and new missions that didn't exist in RSR. But RSR was extremely fun (I played recently the original one), so I believe CW is in the correct way to make an atractive sim.
Nikita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-16, 12:06 PM   #94
biosthetique
Lieutenant

Downloads: 652

I don't know why everyone talk about "Red Storm Rising". "Cold Waters" (as per what have been presented to the public) reminds me of the game "SSN" which was based on a third person perspective, where the player was taking the Skipper tactical decisions during a conflict against China.

SSN was a game created by Tom Clancy gaming company. SSN was also a novel from Tom Clancy as was Red Storm Rising.

SSN got a review of 50 from "Unkle Neil" and was returned for refund as the "Tom Clancy SSN" review states.

I am still playing that game today on a Dos Box Win95 and in many instances (not all), it is great game. Not as great as "Dangerous Waters", but between playing "RSR" in a dos box and "SSN", I pick "SSN" everyday of the week.

To me, the future of "Cold Waters" seems very bright.
biosthetique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-16, 05:08 PM   #95
Julhelm
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 189

Cold Waters really takes the best features of RSR and SSN and blends them together. It plays much like SSN with the dynamic campaign and more in-depth systems simulation of RSR.

Where SSN only had rudimentary surface and airborne forces, Cold Waters features all the major types of surface warships and auxiliaries as used by the Red Banner Fleet in the 80's along with air ops and much better AI.
Julhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-16, 06:42 PM   #96
biosthetique
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julhelm View Post
Cold Waters really takes the best features of RSR and SSN and blends them together. It plays much like SSN with the dynamic campaign and more in-depth systems simulation of RSR.

Where SSN only had rudimentary surface and airborne forces, Cold Waters features all the major types of surface warships and auxiliaries as used by the Red Banner Fleet in the 80's along with air ops and much better AI.
I love games fusing the best of both worlds. This is when miracles materialized.
Old 11-16-16, 10:01 AM   #97
Niume
Sea Lord

Downloads: 499
Uploads: 2

Are there any news?

GLORY TO UKRAINE!

[ENG] SH 4 KSD II Ace Edition
Niume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-16, 06:46 PM   #98
Killerfish Games
Cold Waters Developer

Downloads: 0

We're making excellent progress.
Just finished the final user interface and are working on upgrading the ship graphics even further for PC.

We'll be posting some new screenshots and updates on development in the next few weeks.
Old 11-25-16, 06:04 PM   #99
cowman1009
Watch

Downloads: 45

Looking forward to the first gameplay review!
Old 12-26-16, 04:04 AM   #100
Hawk66
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 36

@Devs: Could you elaborate a little about the planned mod support ?

Does modding mean more or less access to the database or can actually be new content created, like altering of the campaign etc. via scripts/coding ?

Thanks.
Hawk66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-16, 10:36 PM   #101
Killerfish Games
Cold Waters Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk66 View Post
@Devs: Could you elaborate a little about the planned mod support ?

Does modding mean more or less access to the database or can actually be new content created, like altering of the campaign etc. via scripts/coding ?

Thanks.
Database edits and new content can be created.
We're making all the text data files accessible, so you can modify parameters of the ships, weapons, aircraft and sonar/sensor model. You simply put a modified text file into an "override" directory and it will use this file instead of the default. Some texture, audio and movie files can also be overridden this way.

Scripts or coding are not directly supported. However pretty much all the content of the campaign (including parameters defining unit/recon behaviour on the strategic map) is exposed allowing you to edit or even create an entire new campaign. We authored the official campaign using these same tools. New custom single missions can also be easily added.

All language is exposed too for translations and/or editing of all text content including mission briefings, event descriptions, unit descriptions, the entire user interface and message log statements.

Unfortunately new ship models and particle effects are not supported at this time.
Old 12-31-16, 04:26 PM   #102
Topo65
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 382

Any new screenshots, please?
Topo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-17, 10:54 AM   #103
Niume
Sea Lord

Downloads: 499
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacific Fleet View Post
We're making all the text data files accessible, so you can modify parameters of the ships, weapons, aircraft and sonar/sensor model. You simply put a modified text file into an "override" directory and it will use this file instead of the default. Some texture, audio and movie files can also be overridden this way.

Scripts or coding are not directly supported. However pretty much all the content of the campaign (including parameters defining unit/recon behaviour on the strategic map) is exposed allowing you to edit or even create an entire new campaign. We authored the official campaign using these same tools. New custom single missions can also be easily added.

All language is exposed too for translations and/or editing of all text content including mission briefings, event descriptions, unit descriptions, the entire user interface and message log statements.

Unfortunately new ship models and particle effects are not supported at this time.
I am happy to hear this.
It's important to make games moddable because talented modders (which we have them in subsim). Modders can extended games lifespan and quality.(Silent hunter III, Silent hunter IV,Hearts of Iron III Black ice mod)

Personally can't wait for the release?.
Are you planning to make this game full of DLC's. Or just make solid game? without expansions only updates?

GLORY TO UKRAINE!

[ENG] SH 4 KSD II Ace Edition
Niume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-17, 04:58 PM   #104
biosthetique
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacific Fleet View Post

Ok....That's cool!....

ETA PLEASE!

STANDING BY FOR THE ANSWER.
Old 01-12-17, 07:08 PM   #105
Killerfish Games
Cold Waters Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niume View Post
I am happy to hear this.
It's important to make games moddable because talented modders (which we have them in subsim). Modders can extended games lifespan and quality.(Silent hunter III, Silent hunter IV,Hearts of Iron III Black ice mod)

Personally can't wait for the release?.
Are you planning to make this game full of DLC's. Or just make solid game? without expansions only updates?
We totally agree. There are many more talented people out in the community than we have in house who can contribute to the game. Likely in ways we'd never imagine! So we're trying to open up the game as much as we can.

DLCs: we're not sure at this time. DLCs provide additional revenue, meaning additional resources to keep working in the game.

Release date: conservatively we'd estimate down to only months away. Perhaps out by mid-year.