SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-23-23, 07:17 AM   #1
quickening58
Watch

Downloads: 18
Uploads: 0
Default Base issues....

Frustrating as hell......
V1.5 with FotRS 1.8 along with sticky camera and no flag mini-mods

4 Patrols with Gato out of Pearl and then Brisbane. Transferred to Balao at Brisbane end of 4th Patrol. Did Balao 5th Patrol out of Brisbane (May/April 43), returned to same, NOT ABLE to end patrol (85% Hull damage) figured I somehow was transferred by HQ, to Fremantle (without checking base flag/anchor status) and ran all the way to Fremantle. Same issue. THEN I saw the homebase anchor at Brisbane.....stupid me,right? Anyway....returned to Brisbane and still have same issue. Can't end patrol !! (only able to replenish)
At present, idling around inside Brisbane harbor admiring the view. Frustrated....going to hit the rack and let the XO figure it out.

Any ideas on this?
quickening58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-23, 08:57 AM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Yes. You took delivery of the Balao before it is "Active" on the Roster. A big, bad, bug from the Stock game that refuses to cooperate. Date restrictions mean nothing to the game, and it will "reward" the player whose score is too high with a new command up to 3 months too early. If you have a Save game from prior to taking the Balao, that is your only option, other than starting over. Do NOT take a Balao before 1943-05-21 (May 21) in FotRSU, which is still too early in "real life". Stock game is 1943-02-04, which is a commissioning date, not an actual patrol date, which would be late August 1943 out of Brisbane, and Septermber 1943 out of Pearl...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-23, 01:13 PM   #3
quickening58
Watch

Thanks PB.....as I laid awake last night, was thinking it might be something along those lines. Another thing to put in the SH4 file
To bad.....it was a good patrol, even with 1/3 duds. Thanks again PB
Old 02-24-23, 07:36 AM   #4
propbeanie

You're welcome. I wish there was a way around the issue. We're going to try a slightly different approach with the next release, but thus far, testing has been more than a bit of a bother... I might try an experiment later today, and see if I can change the boat and all associated info related to it in the Save folder, and see how badly it CTDs, or perhaps runs after doing that... If I'm successful, we can potentially "recover" your progress, or someone else's in the future. Don't hold your breath though... (btw, that's a "blue-in-the-face" breath-holding meme... lol)

Old 02-26-23, 04:05 AM   #5
quickening58
Watch

Not holding my breath Crew mutinied, over the idiot Cap and his idiot sight seeing cruise back and forth between Fremantle and Brisbane. Am moving on to a new Balao boat....late 44.
Another lesson in the book -LOL

ps. In the back of my mind, I kinda knew late spring 43 was a little early for a Balao, but passed it off as gameplay. Small potatoes....except the basing issue

Last edited by quickening58; 02-26-23 at 04:57 AM.
Old 02-26-23, 11:09 AM   #6
propbeanie

I just wish that the game did not use commissioning dates for the active dates of the boats. That could be the crux of the problem. So the Balao was commissioned on 4 Feb, 1943, but it wasn't until late July 1943 that it arrived in theatre. The Stock game uses that 4 Feb date as the active date, and it will then assign the boat as early as November of 1942 in stock, as a "reward" (HAH!!!). In FotRSU, we pushed that "active" date back further, to May, and the game will still assign the boat up to 3 months earlier... We even put missions in the game so you no longer CTD when that happens, ~but~ it will not assign you the Flotilla, because the boat is not "active"... sigh "Eetsah catch-ah twenty-two-ah"... rassin rother $%&# game...

Old 02-26-23, 12:49 PM   #7
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
I just wish that the game did not use commissioning dates for the active dates of the boats. That could be the crux of the problem. So the Balao was commissioned on 4 Feb, 1943, but it wasn't until late July 1943 that it arrived in theatre. The Stock game uses that 4 Feb date as the active date, and it will then assign the boat as early as November of 1942 in stock, as a "reward" (HAH!!!). In FotRSU, we pushed that "active" date back further, to May, and the game will still assign the boat up to 3 months earlier... We even put missions in the game so you no longer CTD when that happens, ~but~ it will not assign you the Flotilla, because the boat is not "active"... sigh "Eetsah catch-ah twenty-two-ah"... rassin rother $%&# game...
....and so, it is the early assignment as a reward for high performance that is causing the problem?

...because we can manipulate dates in the Roster and Sea files but we cannot prevent the game from early assignment.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-23, 06:37 PM   #8
propbeanie

Yes. I don't know what the threshold for the requirements - four patrols?? Patrol Rating?? Last Patrol score?? Total renown?? All of the above? Perhaps a points system, based on all of the above, that any combination can push you over?? dunno. The part I don't understand, is even when the game sets those dates, it still does the same thing... Just another example of the game running over dates...