SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-03-21, 12:23 PM   #1
l02turner
Soundman

Downloads: 167
Uploads: 0
Default Mods Application?

BTW - What do the acronyms in the Prefix (above) mean? I just picked one...
#1 I was reading about the various downloads available under Legacy Downloads and some say for SH5 or SHIII - would any of these work on a CD version of WOTP SH4? One I was considering was the Grey Wolves mod. and TMO.
#2 Question - Should I set up a different JSGME for the different mods - 1 for TMO, another for RSRD? Can I rename the JGSME so I will know which is which? (In the past, after loading 1 mod, if I tried to add another it would pop a warning.)
#3 Q - In the Legacy Download, under the SH4 heading is a long list of add'l mods - I'm not sure if they are in addition to the SH4 Download or part of the download?
#4 Q - Again under Legacy Downloads, SH4 - I have a CD version in addition to STEAM membership - Does the Legacy download replace my CD version or will all the mods work as well using my CD vers?
Sorry for all the questions - (which begs another question) - should questions be limited to 1 per post? Which is preferred?
Ahoy
l02turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-21, 09:27 AM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

There is a post on SubSim somewhere under "FAQ & Rules" about the three-letter acronyms, with TEC meaning that the post has technical information, WIP for Work In Progress, REL for Release, and a few others.

GWX will only install on a clean SH3 v1.2b install. TMO only works on SH4, but depending upon which version of TMO you use, it might be for v1.4 of the game, or v1.5, so you must pay attention to that. Similarly, TWoS will only install on a v1.2 or SH5. With GWX and TWoS, they will detect your game's executable file version, and will exit with an error if you have made a mistake. Using JSGME for a mod install just copies files from the MODS folder to the Data folder, and will not warn you if the mod is improper for the game's version.

As for JSGME, what I do is put a copy in each of my SH4 copy folders. The executable generates a unique ini file in each folder, and in the MODS folder, such that each copy then can be run independently and not interfere with other mod sets. Sort of like using MultiSH4 for the JSGME mod list. Other folks use one JSGME, which is entirely possible to do, but you do have to be mindful of where you are on the computer. It's been too long since I read the JSGME manual to say much about that method, other than it is possible to do.

The "Legacy Downloads" are not sorted like the regular section (there aren't as many mods there anyway), so you do have to pay close attention to what you are downloading from there. They are "in addition to" the regular section.

Depending upon what you download, it may or may not work with your SH4 version. You'll just have to read the documentation online, or with the mod after you download it. You definitely do not want to use most mods for v1.4 of the game on a v1.5 install, and vice versa, since there are different file sets in the two installs, as well as the mods.

Edit: Concerning the pre-fixes used, the posting in the FAQ section is rather bland:
What are thread prefixes?

Thread Prefixes can be used to further identify your thread as containing a particular content in the forum. If your administrator has enabled these, you will see a box before the title box which contains a menu with the available prefixes for you to choose from.
So that is from the vBulletin install, not SubSim, which is the "administrator". Perhaps one of the moderators has more on that. You have to create a new topic to see them, and those listed above are the only ones used on SubSim. "Technically" speaking (sorry, bad pun ), the TEC pre-fix should only be use if you have technical content for others to use, such as a tutorial on campaign mission writing, which could then use a header pre-fix like: "[TEC] Create A Campaign File Set" or some such. You do not have to use the pre-fixes when starting a new topic.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 07-05-21 at 10:40 AM. Reason: The pre-fix info...
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
legacy, multiple jsgme, rsrd, tmo