SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-27-23, 07:46 AM   #16
Red Devil
The Old Man

Downloads: 258
Uploads: 0

Update: I now have BOTH disk and steam versions in my pc. Each on different drives but sharing the saves. As mentioned above the disk saves do not work with the steam, or vice versa which is not a problem. JSGME also has two installs both with manually loaded mods, and neither conflict. So I have 2 x SH4 desktop icons and 2 x JSGME icons. I can play either at any time, so will leave them alone for now and sit back, relieved, and enjoy. All my SH4 Mods are kept in their own folder and I select from here to both JSGME. Thanks you to the experts for your advice and help
>
Darkness is only the absence of Light; Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge ©

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Red Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-23, 08:12 AM   #17
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
Update: I now have BOTH disk and steam versions in my pc. Each on different drives but sharing the saves. As mentioned above the disk saves do not work with the steam, or vice versa which is not a problem. JSGME also has two installs both with manually loaded mods, and neither conflict. So I have 2 x SH4 desktop icons and 2 x JSGME icons. I can play either at any time, so will leave them alone for now and sit back, relieved, and enjoy. All my SH4 Mods are kept in their own folder and I select from here to both JSGME. Thanks you to the experts for your advice and help
Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
... However, in your second quote there, you cannot use old Save files (or share them between modded games). The ones for the disk version of the game point to specific locations on your original install, and when you are using the Steam version, you have a different folder structure. Instant load failure when attempting any of those Saves. Everything must be EXACTLY the same. You can have both version on the same computer, no problem, but they must each have their own Save folders. So download MultiSH4 and put it in each of the game folders. Run it (especially in the "new" Steam version), and enter a new 3-character Save folder name, such as TMO if you're going to run TMO, or FRS for FotRSU, or whatever you like, such as 001 or whatever. That will keep the Save folder structures between the two versions of the game away from each other.
That is a link to MultiSH4 above. You really shouldn't share that Save folder (SH4). You might not notice issues right now with sharing the SH4 save folder, but eventually, there will be something that gets trashed, and you'll lose the whole shmear. If you wanted, you could leave the one Save folder as-is, set at SH4, but I would run MultiSH4 in at least one of the modded installs, and change the Save folder with it to something "meaningful" with 3 different characters. The "FileManager.dll" file in the game folder does have to be write-enabled before MultiSH4 will "take". As with the SH4.exe file, you right-click on the file in the game folder, choose Properties, and on the General tab which is opens to, clear the "Read-only" attribute if necessary. If the little tick box is empty, you are good to go. Run MultiSH4 and make the folder name like "RdD" or whatever.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-23, 08:49 AM   #18
Red Devil
The Old Man

OK Prop -and done. both save folders now empty and graphics changed to LARGE (fixed graphics and resolution).
>
Darkness is only the absence of Light; Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge ©

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk

Last edited by Red Devil; 02-27-23 at 11:22 AM.
Old 02-28-23, 06:30 AM   #19
PurpleCow
A-ganger

Downloads: 16

If you purchase SH4 via Steam do you still need to authenticate with Ubisoft when playing the game?
PurpleCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-23, 09:01 AM   #20
Red Devil
The Old Man

No, I didnt.

Something wrong with SH4 steam, little things not right, a couple of crashes to desktop.
>

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk

Last edited by Red Devil; 02-28-23 at 12:39 PM.
Old 02-28-23, 08:35 PM   #21
Red Devil
The Old Man

I have had to remove SH4 Steam, crashes, sound problems (buzzing in speakers) and maps going weird (not changing after removal from JSGME, reboot, and install new map. All the time, with two sep saves, the disc based SH4 carried on normally.

Amen, for now
>

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Old 02-28-23, 10:38 PM   #22
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Did you use MultiSH4 in the Steam game folder, and set the Save folder to something different from your disk install? It almost sounds like either your mod was trashed by windows (what is the path to your Steam Library folder on that K: drive? Just "Steam Library \Silent Hunter... " ?? No "Program Files", correct? You might also have had a "Steam verify of game files", where Steam changed the modded game back to Stock on you, which would not be compatible with a previous Save in a modded game... If both installs (disk & Steam) are using the same Save folder (C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4), then that is the trouble. You cannot do that.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-23, 08:31 AM   #23
1Patriotofmany
Commander

Downloads: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleCow View Post
If you purchase SH4 via Steam do you still need to authenticate with Ubisoft when playing the game?
No you don't.
1Patriotofmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-23, 10:34 AM   #24
Red Devil
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Did you use MultiSH4 in the Steam game folder, and set the Save folder to something different from your disk install? It almost sounds like either your mod was trashed by windows (what is the path to your Steam Library folder on that K: drive? Just "Steam Library \Silent Hunter... " ?? No "Program Files", correct? You might also have had a "Steam verify of game files", where Steam changed the modded game back to Stock on you, which would not be compatible with a previous Save in a modded game... If both installs (disk & Steam) are using the same Save folder (C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4), then that is the trouble. You cannot do that.
yes mate, and exactly as you told me. I had two empty saves, 001 and 002. No connection twixt disc game and steam game, both had two new subs operating out of Manila 1941. I tried removing pacific sound mod and rebooted to see if the buzz would stop, it didn't. I even tried to reinstall Steam game after deleting it and all folders and rebooted, but buzzing still there, but not on any other steam software. I took it out and tried again, this time no mods - still buzzed. The disk game is running perfectly. Loads of other games in pc, big and small, none have this noise. Everything else on K is fine, incl other steam games in K:\\games\. I spent too long on this problem, so will give it a rest for a couple of days.

path: K:\\steam library\steam apps\common\silent etc

disk ver:

C:\\games\\silent\
>

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Old 03-01-23, 11:01 AM   #25
1Patriotofmany
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
I bought SH4 a while back on steam, it just sits there in the library. The main query is will JSGME work with it
Yes it will.
Old 03-01-23, 11:03 AM   #26
1Patriotofmany
Commander

Did you remember to delete the SH4 folder by hand in your "my documents" folder before trying anything?
Old 03-01-23, 11:36 AM   #27
Red Devil
The Old Man

yes. I'll give it another go in a day or two.
>

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Old 04-16-23, 07:00 AM   #28
Krisenvorsorgezentrum
Swabbie

Downloads: 17
Icon14

Found this:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/15200...6115122985182/
Krisenvorsorgezentrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-23, 08:07 AM   #29
Otto Harkaman
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 31

^ Thanks

I didn't have a problem getting the program to run. first time fresh install from steam. But I am amazed following the directions on the SH4 Steam forum how the level of detail has increased and I think the animations in the menus weren't working before either.

Otto Harkaman is offline   Reply With Quote