SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-11-22, 06:39 AM   #1
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 0
Default New desktop advice

As the tittle says, need advice for a new desktop PC.

It is not that mine, even with almost 10 years (upgraded a few years ago) does not do for my use and the games that I play - SH3, 4 and U-boat. But the mods (newer ones) and the latter do push the machine.

And importantly, I want silence. or a very quite PC. My is still from an noisy era.
I though of a gaming one, besides games, i do tend to do some photo editing sometimes and something to last as long as my current one.

Any thoughts of PC already assemble? Or it is still prefer to buy and diy?

My PC is mostly ASUS pieces (Board, GPU), First generation intel I5 (do not know how are the current AMDs).
Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-22, 06:48 AM   #2
blackswan40
LSH-2022 Liaison Officer

Downloads: 588
Uploads: 30

Hi Rhodes check this post out Sir

If you can build your own pc i would go down that road so you build the PC with the parts your want or if not go to a local computer shop and get them to build it for you i would stay away from prebuilt systems due to the fact they will cut corners somewhere on the componants

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...41&postcount=3

Last edited by blackswan40; 02-11-22 at 07:09 AM.
blackswan40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-22, 04:00 PM   #3
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Well i would also like your opinions on a new desktop, if you build it yourself. I'm not entirely out of touch but which mainboard, which HDD, which graphic card and so on in 2022. For gaming of course; such a PC will do all else (like InDesign or Solidworks) easily then.

Right now i would go for a Gigabyte board, 32 Gb of Ram , a 500 Gb SDD for OS and IL2, SH3/5, and a big HDD.
Not sure on VR and so on

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-22, 04:22 PM   #4
blackswan40
LSH-2022 Liaison Officer

fist things first do your spade work pick your parts for your new PC build then look at reviews of all your parts on youtube to seperate the wheat from the chaff so to speak then find the parts at the best price a extra days searching can save you $$$ plenty moolar bigtime

re desktops what ever your budget is eg $2000-$2500 then spend $1000-$1250 on your GPU then $300-$400 on M/B if you get a M/B with four dimm slots you can get 2x16 ram dimms then later when the times right you can get two more 16gig dimms 1TB ssd/nvme drive that plugs into M/B $200-$250 $200-$250 on 32 gig of ram $175 $200 on psu
$180 $225 water cooler

$200 on a good case with plentry of airflow

if you can aford $2000/$2500 dont buy all the other stuff first then only spend $200 on a GPU as an after thought the GPU should at least a third or a half of your total build cost

Also all the componants should compliment each other so there is no bottleneck on your build
no good having a nvidia 3090 then only having 8 gig of ram and 250gig hd

as my Radion Tiachi RX 6800 TX tiachi 16GIG Gpu £1150
if i would have put a Nvidia 3050 Gpu in my build i could have saved a £1000 buying a cheaper M/B ram case cooler ect and got the same performance of me putting that nvidia 3050 gpu in my build

Last edited by blackswan40; 02-11-22 at 04:57 PM.
Old 02-12-22, 05:28 AM   #5
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackswan40 View Post
Hi Rhodes check this post out Sir

If you can build your own pc i would go down that road so you build the PC with the parts your want or if not go to a local computer shop and get them to build it for you i would stay away from prebuilt systems due to the fact they will cut corners somewhere on the componants

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...41&postcount=3

Thank you.

Yes, I have been researching a bit and I notice that. "Oh, this rig seems nice, new generation cpu and etc. The m/b is one of the chepeast..." Or a fiine board, previous gen cpu, but then a ancient gpu, or almost no ram, etc.
Old 02-12-22, 09:38 AM   #6
Commander Wallace
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 360

I think Blackswan and Catfish gave sound advice. I have seen computers that were factory setups and run well on games. I think for gamers like you, Blackswan and others that are more discriminating, a custom build is probably the better way to go. You can probably get a better deal if you purchase your components from the same place and bundle higher end components like the motherboard, video card, etc...

As Blackswan said, airflow is important and serious gamers have had water cooling in their rigs as well. I would only add that if you go with a custom build, make sure the board supports newer processors and lots of memory.

I remember that others, I'm thinking Gary ( GT182 ) from Subsim, built or bought something that was an AMD Ryzen 8 core 16 thread CPU board. Today, the Ryzen is a 16 core 32 thread.

https://www.amazon.com/amd-16-core-p...core+processor

I don't think that has much application on games as programed games can't use multiple core as far as I know. Games can only use 1 signal path and in some cases, the CPU's that run many core like the Ryzen don't perform as well in games as a CPU with a lower core count but run at a faster speed. The Ryzen's may be better as I have never seen them run or read any reviews on them.

The other thing to consider is availability. With the current bottlenecks with shipping and trucking shortages and strikes fueling inflation, prices are being driven up.

Good luck with everything. Let us know how it works out as I'm sure many others are contemplating the same build and would like to know what you chose and how it worked out.

Last edited by Commander Wallace; 02-12-22 at 11:15 AM.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-22, 03:17 PM   #7
stoppro
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 493

I just finished building this one in my sig.No problems getting anything.
Old 03-24-22, 06:15 AM   #8
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Here is mine new PC:

Intel Core i7-12700KF 12-Core 2.7GHz c/ Turbo 5.0GHz 25MB Skt1700
WATER COOLER CPU ARCTIC LIQUID FREEZER II 360
Motherboard ATX Asus ROG Strix B660-F Gaming WiFi
MEMÓRIA RAM ADATA 2x 16GB DDR5 4800
NC-3ARGBX2 Jonsbo Cooler NC-3 2x ARGB-RAM Silver
SNVS/1000G Disco SSD M.2 2280 Kingston NV1 1TB 3D
DISCO HDD SEAGATE BARRACUDA 1TB 7200RPM 3.5''
EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 KO Ultra Gaming 6GB GDDR6
Extended-ATX Cooler Master MasterBox MB520 ARGB Black
EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G5 650W 80 Plus Gold Full Modular

Windows 11... I did ask for the 10 pro, but do to the new CPUs, to get full use of them, it had to be the eleven. So far, i am not unlinking the OS.

Very quite pc, so I am glad and if it last half of my old one (10 years now) I am glad.
Old 03-24-22, 06:26 AM   #9
blackswan40
LSH-2022 Liaison Officer

Hi Rhodes very nice PC Sir
Old 03-24-22, 10:13 AM   #10
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackswan40 View Post
Hi Rhodes very nice PC Sir
Thank you Sir!
Old 03-24-22, 05:45 PM   #11
Commander Wallace
Silent Hunter

Very nice computer Rhodes. It's way better than mine but then again, My computer has caveman drawings on it. Near as I can tell, Neanderthal period.

Old 03-24-22, 06:13 PM   #12
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
Very nice computer Rhodes. It's way better than mine but then again, My computer has caveman drawings on it. Near as I can tell, Neanderthal period.

With the speed of the development of computers, a computer bought today will be classified as Neanderthal after 6 month or so.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-22, 05:24 PM   #13
Commander Wallace
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
With the speed of the development of computers, a computer bought today will be classified as Neanderthal after 6 month or so.

Markus

No, it will be classified as outdated but, you are right. My computers are from the Neanderthal period. I wanted to use voice activation on them but the program hasn't been written yet that understands grunts. But, hope springs eternal.

Last edited by Commander Wallace; 03-26-22 at 09:18 PM.
Old 03-30-22, 06:01 AM   #14
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

^ lol yep my pc is now 11 years old, with 3.8 Ghz clock and 16 Gb of ram, it was a rocket back then. Now with Win 10 it is still decent (ahem), but condensators and such usually break after some time, so looking for a new one.
Good gaming PCs have a horrendous price now

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-22, 06:08 AM   #15
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
^ lol yep my pc is now 11 years old, with 3.8 Ghz clock and 16 Gb of ram, it was a rocket back then. Now with Win 10 it is still decent (ahem), but condensators and such usually break after some time, so looking for a new one.
Good gaming PCs have a horrendous price now
Catfish if you can do it yourself or you know someone with a huge skills in building a computer from scratch.

Then I recommend you build your own using no-name stuff. It will be cheaper than buying a new fully equip with all the stuff needed.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote