SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-06-12, 03:34 PM   #1
blynch106
Swabbie

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0
Default Adding / Moving / Replacing deck and flak guns on Silent Hunter 3

I know there has been discussion about this topic before. I am inquiring from anyone with experience and proven methods of adding, moving, or replacing deck and flak guns on uboats for silent hunter 3. Reading through different threads and posts from ETR3(SS)'s tutorial on how to add gun mounts on silent hunter 4, Von Keldunk's work on the 37mm Flak on the type IID, and various posts by Privateer and KLCarroll, I have been piecing together a way to accomplish this. I have used S3D and notepad to modify a uboat's .dat, .sim, .zon, .dsd, and .cam files, and been making corresponding changes to the uboat's .eqp file and basic.cfg but can't seem to get things to work. I've played around with a few things but keep getting a CTD when starting a mission. So I don't know what to do. ETR3(SS)'s tutorial is focused on SH4 which doesn't use basic.cfg to modify subs. My project is to change the Type IID's forward 20mm gun mount to a 37mm gun mount (A0 to S0) and have the game function seemlessly with the changes. I know it's already been done by Von Keldunk, but I'd like to know how he did it as that would shed light on other SH3 gun modding projects. So if anyone has had success on this matter for SH3 and can post an example of a step-by-step how-to tutorial I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you for your consideration. R/S, Sgt Lynch.
blynch106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-12, 03:58 PM   #2
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynch106 View Post
I know it's already been done by Von Keldunk.
Who is that?
Old 05-06-12, 04:17 PM   #3
blynch106
Swabbie

Here is the link to the thread I'm referring to. Apparently Von Keldunk created a flak ship for KLCarroll that worked.

http://174.123.69.202/~subsimc/radio...d.php?p=845900

It was followed by by this:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom//sho...d.php?t=136422
Old 05-06-12, 04:52 PM   #4
bigboywooly
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 35

You can always DL the IIDF and check the files he changed

http://www.gamefront.com/files/21665...ID2FlakShip.7z

And indeed his IXB gunship for vanilla SH3

http://www.gamefront.com/files/21665...lla_Sh3_1V2.7z

My mediafire page http://www.mediafire.com/?11eoq19bq9r41
bigboywooly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-12, 05:53 PM   #5
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Ah, I remember now.
You forgot the Captain part of his name so I couldn't find him.
Old 05-07-12, 08:38 AM   #6
blynch106
Swabbie

Thanks for those links. I'll DL those and should be able to figure it out.
Old 05-07-12, 01:21 PM   #7
bigboywooly
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 35

if you use something like Winmerge you can compare the mod files and original side by side and changes will be highlighted so you know exactly what has been altered and how

My mediafire page http://www.mediafire.com/?11eoq19bq9r41
bigboywooly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-12, 09:26 PM   #8
blynch106
Swabbie

Ok, after looking at those files and playing around with a few things, ive mostly got it figured out. It mainly has to do with the basic.cfg file and modifications to the uboats .dat, .sim, and .cam files. the conning barracks file mainly has to do with the representation of those weapons on the crew management screen and the purchase screen. But i still have a couple issues that werent addressed in those files. So heres what i did, i replicated the creation of a type IID uboat with a forward heavy flak and a rear light flak on the sub base (plus having an additional light flak when using the IID's upgraded conning tower). The problem im having is getting the crew to man the guns when i give the order. it works fine when using the upgraded conning tower with the additional light flak, except that i have to manually place crew into the heavy flak from the crew management screen. but for the version without the tower upgrade, even manually placing the crew in those slots doesnt fill the gunner seats. the light flak gets occupied by 2 crew members somehow (one manning the gun, the other standing right in the middle of it with his arms and legs in a wierd position) and i can only get one crew member to actually man the heavy flak. any advice on what file controls crew member placement? also i cant figure out how to get the purchase screen to work right in the menu choices for swapping out different types of heavy flak upgrades.
Old 05-17-12, 10:03 AM   #9
blynch106
Swabbie

i know there have been issues with this for other people before after reading through previous threads. the problem is identical to the issue of using a ix/1 conning tower on an ixc and ixd2 and modding the files to utilize a heavy flak. it is evident that with certain uboats, the 1st and 2nd crew slots on the flak compartment are set for A0 mounts. so with my configuration there must be a way to modify the 2nd flak crew slot to accept a crewman for an S0 mount or either or. has anyone looked into the uboat crew configuration files as a possibility?
Old 05-20-12, 08:59 PM   #10
blynch106
Swabbie

The only thing i could do was create another crew slot in the flak compartment, thus bringing the number from 3 to 4. i did this by adding an A02 entry in addition to the already present A01 and S01 entries. Crew slots 3 and 4 are set for the S01 mount. crew slot 1 is for the A01 mount. crew slot 2 is just a spacer since there isnt a second light flak gun. i dont necessarily like it, and the crew will only man the light flak automatically when i give the order, but if this is the only way i guess it will have to do, unless anyone knows any better.
Old 05-22-12, 12:40 AM   #11
mercucio_09
Watch

Downloads: 236

There are 2 interesting tutorials:
- How to find and tweak a ship gun
- How to tweak the shell of a give ship gun
Here:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom//sho...d.php?t=157326
mercucio_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-12, 09:55 AM   #12
blynch106
Swabbie

bump
Old 03-10-23, 05:52 PM   #13
Tigerzhunters
Frogman

Downloads: 96

Idk im try that to type 7b its work fine But Its spawned inside The Conning And Its say not enough crew to activated any idea?
Tigerzhunters is offline   Reply With Quote