SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-03-23, 09:21 AM   #1
MenOfWar
Swabbie

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 0
Icon1 Torpedo depth solution when firing it

Hey all, I have a question about torpedo depths in SH4. When you set the firing solution, you can set the offset angle, speed, type of trigger and the depth of the torpedo. What is that depth based on?

Example: I am in periscope depth, around 50 feet deep. I have a target with a draft of 20 feet. I set my torpedo depth to 15 feet. The torpedo misses the target because it goes under the draft. Why does this happen?

Thank you for the help in advance

MODS: TMO v2.5

Last edited by MenOfWar; 02-03-23 at 11:05 AM.
MenOfWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-23, 10:21 AM   #2
1Patriotofmany
XO

Downloads: 92

Heavy seas? How is your difficulty set? We had depth problems with our torps for quite a while as the Germans did too. Depth is below surface.
1Patriotofmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-23, 10:25 AM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

The Mark 14 torpedoes had issues all through the war, but especially before the fall of 1943

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_14_torpedo

is one of many sites on the issue. The more difficult you have your settings in the the game menu, the worse the problem, especially in TMO.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-23, 11:09 AM   #4
MenOfWar
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Patriotofmany View Post
Heavy seas? How is your difficulty set? We had depth problems with our torps for quite a while as the Germans did too. Depth is below surface.
Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
The Mark 14 torpedoes had issues all through the war, but especially before the fall of 1943

is one of many sites on the issue. The more difficult you have your settings in the the game menu, the worse the problem, especially in TMO.
Very calm seas situation. Oh I'm playing in Hard, so it's not something wrong I am doing, it's just the torpedo being faulty. Can this be prevented if I use a lower depth? Or is there always a risk of this happening?

By design, setting a 15 depth on a torp should hit a 15+ draft ship on calm seas correct? If heavier seas, set a lower depth setting to prevent it from missing cos of the waves?

And to confirm, good assumption: currently have the Mark 14s and enjoying all the faulty things around them (which I thought was most limited to duds and exploding before reaching the target when using the magnetic trigger)
Old 02-03-23, 11:14 AM   #5
MenOfWar
Swabbie

Quote:

Reading through this, "Fife concluded the torpedoes ran an average 11 ft (3.4 m) deeper than the depth at which they were set." Is this true for the game as well or is it random? Wondering then if I should just set depth 0 all the time to make sure these hit :O (EDIT: Which is actually what they did IRL, awesome. Love these little things that TMO introduces to the game)
Old 02-03-23, 06:26 PM   #6
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

The stock game has that also, just not as pervasive or intrusive... - Anytime you turn on the "duds" feature, it will involve the running deep, possibly circling back at your boat, and the failure to detonate as well as premature explosions. TMO just ups the game and adds more and different chances, including the angle of impact for the pistol. Hit at 90, and you stand a very high chance for a dud.

Lockwood was actually the first to test the torpedo depth by having a boat shoot at a fishing net. BurOrd discounted his findings, because they weren't done "scientifically"... - either way, it was a travesty and should never have happened. Sending fellows into harms way with a failure ridden weapon...

There were some skippers that did indeed set their torps to run shallower, but then you had commanders like Cristie that put out explicit orders to NOT ALTER the torpedo or its settings... Of course, he had been directly involved in the magnetic exploder...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-23, 08:48 PM   #7
1Patriotofmany
XO

Downloads: 92

Quote:
The stock game has that also, just not as pervasive or intrusive... - Anytime you turn on the "duds" feature, it will involve the running deep, possibly circling back at your boat, and the failure to detonate as well as premature explosions. TMO just ups the game and adds more and different chances, including the angle of impact for the pistol. Hit at 90, and you stand a very high chance for a dud.

Lockwood was actually the first to test the torpedo depth by having a boat shoot at a fishing net. BurOrd discounted his findings, because they weren't done "scientifically"... - either way, it was a travesty and should never have happened. Sending fellows into harms way with a failure ridden weapon...

There were some skippers that did indeed set their torps to run shallower, but then you had commanders like Cristie that put out explicit orders to NOT ALTER the torpedo or its settings... Of course, he had been directly involved in the magnetic exploder...
He also had torps dropped tested from a crane and found the pistol was defective finally and rectified the situation. I can't imagine the frustration of the captains having a perfect setup to find 3/4 or more of their torps running deeper or duds or having circulars like the Tang.
1Patriotofmany is offline   Reply With Quote