SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-03-21, 10:37 AM   #16
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
A board game I had as a kid and enjoyed was an American Heritage by Milton Bradley game titled Broadside and it was based on the naval actions of the War of 1812; there was a good sized board with a grid system and a set of blue (US) and red (UK) ships with removable masts that were used to navigate along the grid lines; the object was to position your ship, in alternating moves, in such a manner as to 'fire' a broadside at the your opponent, causing them to lose a mast; each fleet had ten ships, ranging from full-masted men-of-war to single masted schooners; you played until one of the fleets was fully dis-masted; one of the interesting strategic aspects is it allowed for maneuvers like 'crossing the T' allowing you to fire a broadside at your opponent while crossing their bow, costing them a mast and costing you nothing and the presence of shore batteries that could also dis-mast you if you wandered to close to land ; I used to play that game for hours with a neighbor kid back in the early '60s...

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1508/broadside

<O>
I played that one and this also before Red Baron came along:

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-21, 12:27 PM   #17
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

My friends it's a real shame we live so far from each other.

I could imagine us having a blast of a Saturday evening playing one of these board game while eating pizza/other type of fastfood and drinking beer/other type of liquid.

Oh so much fun we could have

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-21, 05:35 PM   #18
FireDragon76
Bosun

Downloads: 111

Spending some of my youth in England, I do remember miniatures there- every small city had a shop or two that sold them. I never understood how the English managed to play any games with them as the average English house wasn't very big at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk View Post
Risk and Stratego.

That's more my speed. I was very good at playing Stratego years ago. It's a very fun little game that rewards a good memory.

I played some Avalon Hill Platoon back in the early 90's. I actually liked how simple the rules were. It was relatively fast for a board wargame. I also occasionally played Richtoffen's War with my uncle, but he did not like to lose and the game had some random elements where it made it easy to slaughter your opponent quickly (critical hit kills your pilot? too bad).

I also played B-17 Queen of the Skies, a solitaire game also from Avalon Hill. More of a bomber damage simulator, a sort of Snakes and Ladders for grognards, but still a way to pass the time during a period where computer games weren't so engrossing.

Last edited by FireDragon76; 06-09-21 at 05:47 PM.
FireDragon76 is offline   Reply With Quote