SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-26-23, 04:59 AM   #1
melis
Watch

Downloads: 196
Uploads: 0
Default Determination of the values of those responsible for repairs

Hello to you all after a long break. I decided to convince myself once again to Silnet Hunter 4, and I'm surprised that it's so late. A lot of time this title has been lying idle with me. Well, but to the shore: Can someone point out to me which parameters affect the speed of repair by the crew, the speed of flooding the compartments? Are these parameters found in the upc files of the boat? Basically, the changes made for the RepairCoef values, have no effect, as does manipulating the DamageDescription values where there are ponade values, for a small leak, a larger leak and a hole

Last edited by melis; 02-26-23 at 05:13 AM.
melis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-23, 10:28 AM   #2
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by melis View Post
Hello to you all after a long break. I decided to convince myself once again to Silnet Hunter 4, and I'm surprised that it's so late. A lot of time this title has been lying idle with me. Well, but to the shore: Can someone point out to me which parameters affect the speed of repair by the crew,
Skill level of the crewmembers in that compartment or DC, the number of skilled bodies that can work on the repair, and, of course, the severity of the repair. Another thing that you can do during the repair cycle that may speed up repair work is to drag-and-drop the damaged equipment to the top of the repair queue. you do this in the equipment screen where the damaged equipment appears in red and the list appears below all of the equipment.

Quote:
the speed of flooding the compartments? Are these parameters found in the upc files of the boat?
Some yes, some no. UPC has damage parameters but also zones.cfg has some damage parameters that relate to flooding.

Quote:
Basically, the changes made for the RepairCoef values, have no effect, as does manipulating the DamageDescription values where there are ponade values, for a small leak, a larger leak and a hole
cannot figure out what "ponade" means, prob a typo.
i have an explanation of the damage parms in the UPC file and if i can find it i'll post it again. in the meantime, there are a few (several?) factors in each of the damage lines that will affect not only the extent of damage but also define the repair task. BTW, the text in those lines is meaningless. :-)

hope this helps.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-23, 10:36 AM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

You have the figures for the most part - I think. The 'leaks' are descriptions, but the numbers surrounding the text affect various aspects. There was a posting somewhere on SubSim here, where a person has what each of the numbers do, but I couldn't find it just now... One thing to remember about editing stuff like that in any of the SH games, is that the game actually runs off of the Save folder, so if you are editing game files, or have made a mini-mod for the edits (a much better idea), then you would have to start a new career or a Single Mission to see the changes take affect. Another thing to remember about SH4 and its "co-efficients" and other numbering schemes, is that one set of numbers might have a range of 0-99, another might be 1-10, and others would be 0-1, in increments of hundredths. Some carry no decimal places, other carry 2, and still others carry 6. It can be very frustrating wrasseling with the game in that regard...

Edit: The Gameplay Settings you use in the game also affect the damage you take and the repair times...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 02-26-23 at 10:52 AM.
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-23, 07:15 AM   #4
melis
Watch

Downloads: 196
Uploads: 0

Thank you very much guys for your interest. Indeed, I noticed that the changes do not apply in game saves, and when starting a new game, and other levels of gameplay (training missions, single missions, campaigns) interpret the settings differently. My games with this, led to the fact that I had a flooded torpedo compartment and after surfacing, ran out of oxygen even though the ship was floating on the surface.
melis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-23, 08:03 AM   #5
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Oddities can happen after editing, though the failure of the boat to clear the CO2 and refresh the O2 is usually a "shelling-out to Windows while the game is running" problem. Even if Windows does the interrupting for you, by interrupting of the game with a background process, such as the AV scanner or anything "systray" related, it can potentially mess things up. If after you surface, your O2 does not restore, then Save the game, exit the game, re-start it, and then load that Save game, and it should "fix" the issue. Note the "exit the game"... If that sequence does not re-set the CO2, then your edits might be out-of-bounds for the variable(s). The game has been known to react to such in some rather strange ways...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote