Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-13-19, 06:51 PM   #2476
DicheBach
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 14
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadlee720 View Post
Just started playing SH5 and wanted to know if there is a fix to the number torpedos it takes to kill a small ship.
Generally one should be enough for at least up to 7000 tons, but conceivably up to 15,000 depending on crew size and damage control capacity. You just gotta "hit it good!" meaning, low enough that flooding is good, and close enough that the explosion actually makes a hole (larger is better). Causing immediate damage to things like engines (which ostensibly provide power for things like pumps) is bonus, and hitting explody things like fuel or ammo ++bonus!

I don't know how the game handles damage control. But in terms of real life: in the absence of a large and well-trained crew and a vessel that is built for extravagant damage control (e.g., an carrier or battleship or large cruiser) one torpedo that is "a good hit" should be able to kill just about anything. If it doesn't then it "wasn't a good hit."

Recommendations: only shoot at things at 1500 m or less (<=1000 is even better).
Always try to shoot within 10 or 15% of the bottom of the ships draft. (shooting under and relying on the magneto thing never works for me). Keep in mind, the lower you shoot, the more chance for a undershoot (and a complete miss if you are using the pistol detonator and not the magnetic) which means complete miss.
Aim toward the rear third more than the middle or front.
Old 09-14-19, 05:31 AM   #2477
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi DB
Alternative option.
One Ship, One Torpedo v1.00 > Enable JSGME
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-19, 06:28 AM   #2478
pinner2010
Planesman

Downloads: 2368
Default TWOS problem.

just a quick question.
I appreciate that TWOS takes up to 5 mins to load, however, it takes my game 20/25 mins to load.
I have 8GB of ram on board. Appreciate any help.

Many thanks.

The objective of every dedicated Captain must be to anticipate problems and move swiftly to eradicate them.
However, it's somewhat difficult to remember that your initial objective was to drain the swamp, when you are up to your ass in alligators!.
pinner2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-19, 07:33 AM   #2479
THEBERBSTER

Hi Graham
Have you checked to see what is running in the background?
It is also worth checking your anti-virus and making the SH5.exe an exception.

Better to post here with TWOS problems.
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=238315
Peter
Old 09-21-19, 08:28 AM   #2480
pinner2010
Planesman

Downloads: 2368

Helo Admiral.
All mods installed are TWOS accepted mods.
Nothing but TWOS mods, please be assured.

TWoS Campaign Start_VIIB_UFlaK
TWoS Campaign Advance Verifier Testing
TWoS DeckGun Friendly Waves
TWoS FX_Reduc. Fires and Expl._Incr. Flooding via Zones
TWoS Glass Covered GUI Dials
TWoS Harbors Chimney Smoke
TWoS Map Contact Colors
TWoS Neutrals Illuminated Only_Until [Date]
TWoS SM Interior_Food Stocks
TWoS UI cmd_Auto Target ID
TWOS restore captain's icon 5 by JCWolf
Unscratched Optics for Large Optics v1.4
Binoculars with bearing by Torpedo v1
Chart Colour Scheme 4
Clock by Shmal
Critical hits v 1.2
DeckKannon
GramophoneShuffler
one ship, one torpedo v1.00
sobers 7A_B deck crew moved for Shaefer SH5

The objective of every dedicated Captain must be to anticipate problems and move swiftly to eradicate them.
However, it's somewhat difficult to remember that your initial objective was to drain the swamp, when you are up to your ass in alligators!.
pinner2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-19, 08:20 AM   #2481
TheBadCaptainOfAU-Boot
Swabbie

Default My game doesn't open.

It just opens showing the ubisoft logo on 1/4 of the screen and then disappears. After that i can only find it on task manager and nothing else.
TheBadCaptainOfAU-Boot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-19, 09:45 AM   #2482
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

BYTYSA!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-19, 10:47 AM   #2483
THEBERBSTER

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > BYTYSA
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
SH3 – 4 - 5 Tutorials > Downloads > Other Useful Information > See Links in My Signature Below

Old 09-30-19, 10:53 AM   #2484
THEBERBSTER

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > TheBadCaptainOfAU-Boot
SH3 – 4 - 5 Tutorials > Downloads > Other Useful Information > See Links in My Signature Below
Update SH5 From v1.0.5.0 To v1.2.0 Immediately After Installing > Pictorial

Do NOT install in the Program Files (x86) directory

Last edited by THEBERBSTER; 10-01-19 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Do install should be do not install
Old 10-01-19, 07:37 AM   #2485
TheBadCaptainOfAU-Boot
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER View Post
A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > TheBadCaptainOfAU-Boot
Update SH5 From v1.0.5.0 To v1.2.0 Immediately After Installing > Pictorial

Do install in the Program Files (x86) directory
''The setup has detected that no version of silent Hunter 5 is installed.'' Does this not work for steam users?
Old 10-01-19, 09:58 AM   #2486
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Your Steam version is most likely already at the proper version. Look in the Steam install folder, "SteamApps / Common / Silent Hunter 5" folder, right-click on the "sh5.exe" file, left-click on "Properties" from that menu, then click on the "Details" tab. You should see a line "Product version 1,2,0,0". Hopefully, you did not install into a Program Files folder, but rather something of your own naming choice, outside of the Program Files folders?...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-19, 10:05 AM   #2487
TheBadCaptainOfAU-Boot
Swabbie

Default True

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Your Steam version is most likely already at the proper version. Look in the Steam install folder, "SteamApps / Common / Silent Hunter 5" folder, right-click on the "sh5.exe" file, left-click on "Properties" from that menu, then click on the "Details" tab. You should see a line "Product version 1,2,0,0". Hopefully, you did not install into a Program Files folder, but rather something of your own naming choice, outside of the Program Files folders?...
Yes, it's already 1.2... But is there a way to fix the fact that it just doesn't open anywhere other than can be seen in the task manager after showing a ubisoft logo animation on 1/4 of my screen?
Old 10-01-19, 10:28 AM   #2488
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

The "splash" screen will be about 1/4 of your monitor's space, but the game itself should open full-screen after going through the loading preliminaries. With a Steam game, it is best to start the game from the Steam menu, whether you start the Steam app itself and use the menu there, or you use the Windows Start menu and start it there. If you start it from the SH5.exe file in the game folder, it will attempt to start through UPlay, which does not function correctly in a Steam install. Steam wants to do its license check on your game...

What is the "native" resolution of your display monitor? Windows will show that as "recommended" in the display properties for screen resolution. You want to set Windows to that resolution. Then once inside the game, on the main menu is an Options choiice, and on it, a Graphic Settings tab where the game's resolution can be set, if it's not correct... If your game is minimizing to the Task Bar and not "opening" all of the way, then the questions are "did you install the DirectX v9.0c and Media Codecs from the game install menu?" and "which folder is your game installed in on your hard drive?"

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-19, 06:56 AM   #2489
TheBadCaptainOfAU-Boot
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
The "splash" screen will be about 1/4 of your monitor's space, but the game itself should open full-screen after going through the loading preliminaries. With a Steam game, it is best to start the game from the Steam menu, whether you start the Steam app itself and use the menu there, or you use the Windows Start menu and start it there. If you start it from the SH5.exe file in the game folder, it will attempt to start through UPlay, which does not function correctly in a Steam install. Steam wants to do its license check on your game...

What is the "native" resolution of your display monitor? Windows will show that as "recommended" in the display properties for screen resolution. You want to set Windows to that resolution. Then once inside the game, on the main menu is an Options choiice, and on it, a Graphic Settings tab where the game's resolution can be set, if it's not correct... If your game is minimizing to the Task Bar and not "opening" all of the way, then the questions are "did you install the DirectX v9.0c and Media Codecs from the game install menu?" and "which folder is your game installed in on your hard drive?"
I've installed everything i need not in the Program files folder. It doesnt even show in the task bar, but only the task manager.
Old 10-04-19, 08:27 AM   #2490
cpt.kaos
Nub

Downloads: 33
Default silent hunter 5 crashes when talking to an officer

Just took the plunge being an sh111 die heard and got me sh5 from steam my problem is game crashes when talkig to an officer has this problem been talked about have looked through some threads on subsim any bits of advice would be welcome thanks for your time
cpt.kaos is offline   Reply With Quote