SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

View Poll Results: Who do you think will win the 2020 US Presidential Election?
Mighty Trumpster 30 54.55%
Good ol' Joe 20 36.36%
Ross Perot 5 9.09%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-13-20, 07:45 PM   #16
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistead View Post
I don't think anyone expects Joe to finish his term, so his VP needs to be great, but I suspect he will go with a far left woman. Studies showed last time independents and people generally tired of far left PC culture and Dems needed more than an activist platform, but they've moved even further than the left. Trump should have the advantage IMO, but he usually blows that with his tweets. I think the debates will play a role, but I still think Trump will win. The Dems will go down as throwing it away again with a far left culture cancelling radical activist platform.

Depends on whether or not demographic change catches up with it or not. Demographically the US society is changing, from white and conservative to non-white and leftier, there is little that can be done about that. Even then Republicans for this reason sooner or later will "leftify" themselves in order to remain attractive enough to be able to win elections, juts like the Democrats today are already much leftier than they were under let's say Carter. The angry old white people are loosing in numbers against other ethnic-demographic groups, and with them shrinks a voter keygroup of the Reps. Migration to the US today now is mainly from Asia, Latin America, not so much from Europe anymore. China, Mexico, India, Cuba, are the biggest migration groups now, I think.
Old 07-14-20, 01:37 AM   #17
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Choices for winner:

Trump

Biden

Perot

... what?... no Putin...?...

<O>
Old 07-14-20, 02:09 AM   #18
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

No one will hold the holy POTUS accountable for mismanagement and deaths of course.
When i look at Fox news America will get what it deserves.
Maybe Bolsonaro, he seems as fit for the job as Trump.

If they organise the election via online voting, and someone manages to hack it and set Donald Duck on the voting list, i know who would win.

Seriously, is there no one else than Trump or Biden, in the whole US.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Old 07-14-20, 05:45 PM   #19
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Depends on whether or not demographic change catches up with it or not. Demographically the US society is changing, from white and conservative to non-white and leftier, there is little that can be done about that.

Personally I think it's racist to assume that the color of peoples skin determines their general political leanings but don't let that stop you.
Old 07-14-20, 10:46 PM   #20
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

Quote:
Depends on whether or not demographic change catches up with it or not. Demographically the US society is changing, from white and conservative to non-white and leftier, there is little that can be done about that. Even then Republicans for this reason sooner or later will "leftify" themselves in order to remain attractive enough to be able to win elections, juts like the Democrats today are already much leftier than they were under let's say Carter. The angry old white people are loosing in numbers against other ethnic-demographic groups, and with them shrinks a voter keygroup of the Reps. Migration to the US today now is mainly from Asia, Latin America, not so much from Europe anymore. China, Mexico, India, Cuba, are the biggest migration groups now, I think.
Will be interesting, but keep in mind when Obama left office Dems governed less than they had in a 100 years, so while the GOP isn't controlled by the far religious right as it once was, it still does pretty good politically. As usual, mid terms usually flop. I think the far left activist platform is dooming liberals with independents and will so again...even with Trump being as he is.

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Old 07-15-20, 01:28 PM   #21
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

November 3rd 2020 is not just a National Election for the POTUS, but it is also for the entire House of Representatives (every two years) and the entire US Senate (voting is every four yrears) at the same time.

Talk about a chance to drain the swamp ... This is it
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Old 07-15-20, 02:07 PM   #22
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
November 3rd 2020 is not just a National Election for the POTUS, but it is also for the entire House of Representatives (every two years) and the entire US Senate (voting is every four yrears) at the same time.
Sorry but not quite correct. In 2020 only 33 class 2 Senate seats are up for re-election as well as two special elections for John McCain and Johnny Isakson's seats. That's 35 out of 100.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

Old 07-15-20, 07:19 PM   #23
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Yeah a third of the Senate seats in the congress comes up for election every two years. Whats more the 6 year terms of a states two senators are staggered so that both of them aren't running for reelection at the same time.
Old 07-15-20, 08:48 PM   #24
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by u crank View Post
Sorry but not quite correct. In 2020 only 33 class 2 Senate seats are up for re-election as well as two special elections for John McCain and Johnny Isakson's seats. That's 35 out of 100.
So sorry but the entire House is up for re-election, right?
or achievement

Old 07-16-20, 04:50 AM   #25
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Yes, every two years.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

Old 07-17-20, 06:29 PM   #26
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/17/p...ate/index.html

Quote:
"Trump is extremely unlikely to win if the polls continue to look the way they do now. And if these numbers represent a new normal, we need to account for the possibility that this election won't be particularly close, and that new states may come into play. In other words, if the national picture remains bleak for Trump, then the slippage he's seen from earlier this year wouldn't just be limited to a handful of swing states."

In short: All the signs are there that this could be a landslide up and down the ballot for Democrats. Yes, things could change between now and November 3. But, given Trump's obstinacy in refusing to admit his errors in dealing with the coronavirus and the current spikes in some of the most populous states in the country, such a turnaround seems very, very unlikely at the moment.
With every week passing and with every new appearance by Trump I am now getting more convinced that his days are counted.
Old 07-17-20, 06:42 PM   #27
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/17/p...ate/index.html

With every week passing and with every new appearance by Trump I am now getting more convinced that his days are counted.

Quoting CNN like it has anything to do with reality.
Old 07-20-20, 05:44 AM   #28
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Unfortunately because of the lack of government support for the Covid-19 virus it doesn't look good for The Don.

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Old 07-20-20, 09:37 AM   #29
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
Unfortunately because of the lack of government support for the Covid-19 virus it doesn't look good for The Don.
Still 3 1/2 months left for Biden to make a mistake ... the debates should be a turning point for Trump or even a skeleton in Obama's closet should do it
or achievement

Old 07-20-20, 12:28 PM   #30
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
Still 3 1/2 months left for Biden to make a mistake ... the debates should be a turning point for Trump or even a skeleton in Obama's closet should do it

All Biden has to do is push some of Trump's emotional buttons and sit down. Trump will melt-down on live TV.