SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-06-20, 02:28 PM   #1
subdizzle
Swabbie

Downloads: 50
Uploads: 0
Default Is there a way to text-edit myself a new sub?

I know basically after you get a certain amount of renown every third mission or so you're offered a new sub. But Im doing very well with the S-18, but its nearly 1943 and im only being offered salmon classes. Which dont fit any radar. (Even my ****ty WW1 era submarine now has surface search radar). I could keep going but im worried this is some kind of bug where you can only jump from S18 to Salmon. Id like a Tambor at least lol. All of these are prewar subs!

Is there a way to text edit myself into something better? Thanks.
subdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-20, 05:10 PM   #2
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdizzle View Post
I know basically after you get a certain amount of renown every third mission or so you're offered a new sub. But Im doing very well with the S-18, but its nearly 1943 and im only being offered salmon classes. Which dont fit any radar. (Even my ****ty WW1 era submarine now has surface search radar). I could keep going but im worried this is some kind of bug where you can only jump from S18 to Salmon. Id like a Tambor at least lol. All of these are prewar subs!

Is there a way to text edit myself into something better? Thanks.
no, not in the way you are being "upgraded" within the game. the game does not allow the user to select the upgrade. in fact, you cant even see the boat you are being upgraded to until you decide to accept the upgrade. IMHO, that s-s-s-sucks.

if you want to drive a certain type of boat, start a new career and jockey the dates vs bases to see which boats are available at what point in time at which base.

here's a thought...
are you adept at using Notepad to edit SH4 text files? i'll wait for your answer before i proceed.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-20, 08:56 PM   #3
StealthRabbit
Silent Captain

Downloads: 288

I have some interest in this as well. Kind-of sort of... maybe.

I am playing SH-IV with TMO and RSRD-Campaign and a couple of other minor mods.

I recently had an idea where I would start a campaign from the beginning in a Tambor or Gar class boat, and then just play as I normally would. Then when I am offered the command of a new sub I will just stop playing that campaign and start a new one in the sub class of my choosing, which would be a Gato class. This would solve 2 problems, but unfortunately create a new one.

First - It would solve the deck gun crew slots dispersing since this would be a brand new campaign, and not an "upgrade" from a sub with an aft deck gun to another one with a forward deck gun.

B - I would be getting a brand new crew with my brand new boat. I am almost 100% sure that when a Captain gets orders to take command of a new sub his whole crew doesn't follow along with him. Wouldn't that be a logistical nightmare if they did?

The new problem it would create is that any medals and promotions that I had received while in command of the first boat would not follow along with me to the next one.

So I am wondering if there is a way to kind of 'cut and paste' in a captain from one boat to another. And when I say 'cut and paste' I mean that in a figurative way, and not in a literal one, unless it would literally work literally. In that case cool..... literally.

I apologize if I have broken any SUBSIM message board etiquette rules here by intruding in on subdizzle question. I just saw the header and read the post and thought that it was similar to something i was thinking about, so I figured I would do this rather then start a whole new thread.

As always I would be very thankful for any info you or anyone could give me.
Old 08-07-20, 08:37 AM   #4
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I have some interest in this as well. Kind-of sort of... maybe.
I am playing SH-IV with TMO and RSRD-Campaign and a couple of other minor mods.

I recently had an idea where I would start a campaign from the beginning in a Tambor or Gar class boat, and then just play as I normally would. Then when I am offered the command of a new sub I will just stop playing that campaign and start a new one in the sub class of my choosing, which would be a Gato class. This would solve 2 problems, but unfortunately create a new one.

So I am wondering if there is a way to kind of 'cut and paste' in a captain from one boat to another. And when I say 'cut and paste' I mean that in a figurative way, and not in a literal one, unless it would literally work literally. In that case cool..... literally.
i think there is "fix" but it is somewhat klugy. technical term.

the fix i was think about suggesting to subdizzle will resolve your issue also, but it requires that you feel confident enough to use a text editor like Notepad to edit some SH4 files. do you have that skill & confidence? if yes, reply here and i will make my suggestion.

LAA enabled
Old 08-07-20, 01:25 PM   #5
StealthRabbit
Silent Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
i think there is "fix" but it is somewhat klugy. technical term.

the fix i was think about suggesting to subdizzle will resolve your issue also, but it requires that you feel confident enough to use a text editor like Notepad to edit some SH4 files. do you have that skill & confidence? if yes, reply here and i will make my suggestion.

I do have a bit of experience editing with note pad. Whenever I start a new campaign as soon as I set it up I will close the game and then go to the CareerTrack.upc file in the data\cfg\SaveGames\0000000a folder and give myself 9999999 in renown so I can recruit who ever whenever, and get whatever boat upgrade I want as soon as it is available. I also have been poking around the ActiveUserPlayerUnits.upc file in the same folder to try and figure out how to raise my crews abilities in Leadership, Mechanical, Guns, Electrical and Watch, so that when I cycle out crew members to simulate what happens on a real boat, the skill levels of the new crew members I replace them with will slowly increase as they spend more time on the boat and get more experience. I have had very little success with this though as some of the skill ratings of the officers and chiefs in the ActiveUserPlayerUnits.upc are not the same as what they show in the game. I would be very thankful if you have any tips or insight on why that is and how to edit them correctly.

I just remembered that I also used Note Pad to edit the affects that fatigue have on the crew. I only did this once and it was like a year and a half ago, I can't remember what I did exactly, but I did it no problem.

I also have just recently started to use Silent 3ditor v 0.9.9 to change the error rate of the gyros on torpedoes. Because I don't set up my own torpedo solutions every solution is a perfect one. So to simulate human error I use the AutoTarg Mod by TorpX. However I found that the error rate he has set was a little to much for me so I decided to try and edit the Torpedoes_US.sim file in \SH4\Data\Library myself using a Torpedoes_US.sim file that was already Moded as a template. That took a looooong time to figure out how to use, and consisted mostly of me staring at the screen opening and closing parts of the "tree" until it started to make seance. At one point my wife asked me if I was ok because apparently I had just been sitting staring at the screen motionless with my mouth open and a puzzled look on my face for something like 20 minutes straight. I told her I was using osmosis to learn how to use Silent 3editor.

I wouldn't call myself a Moder. I'm more like and adjuster, or tweaker, or when I adjust something that causes CTD I'm a ruiner.

I would greatly appreciate any knowledge you could share and the time it would take to do so.

-StealthRabbit

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 08-07-20 at 03:16 PM.
StealthRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-20, 03:21 PM   #6
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
I do have a bit of experience editing with note pad.
I would be very thankful if you have any tips or insight on why that is and how to edit them correctly.

I wouldn't call myself a Moder. I'm more like and adjuster, or tweaker, or when I adjust something that causes CTD I'm a ruiner.

I would greatly appreciate any knowledge you could share and the time it would take to do so.
-StealthRabbit
ok, let's re-state the objective, go through some background, and then resolve the problem.

1. you are not happy with the boat you receive as an upgrade from SH4 for doing well.

2. boats are categorized by "class" in SH4. depending on the modset, there can be 4 to 10 classes. the lowest is the S-boat as class zero(0) and the highest is the Tench in FOTRSU as a ten(10). when you are eligible for an upgrade, SH4 looks for an available boat with a higher class than one you are driving and assigns that to you. "available" means available as of the date of the upgrade. for example, if you are being upgraded in 1942, a Balao is NOT available, therefore your upgrade will be some other boat class. the key to the solution (#3 below) will be to manipulate the available classes of boats such that you get the one you want.

3. the solution to your issue is to make sure that the only boat available for your upgrade is the boat you want to drive. this will take some planning on your part as you must set this up BEFORE you go on patrol after which you expect to be upgraded. remember: no changes to files while you are on patrol...this can only lead you to the Sea of CTD, from which there is no return. so, the solution is to know what the respective boat classes are and when they are available. i think you said you were playing TMO-RSRD. Class Zero contains S-Boat, Porpoise, and Narwhal. Class One contains Salmon and Sargo. Class Two contains Tambor, Gar, Gato. and Class Three contains Balao and Tench. Interval is controlled by Flotillas.UPC and other places. I recommend reading those values but not changing them. UpgradeClass is stored in the \data\Submarine\Boatname\Boatname.UPC file. it is one of the first eight or ten lines. if you are driving a class zero boat and want to be upgraded to a certain class one boat, then make the other class one boats equal class zero in their respective folders. in this way, the only eligible boat will be the one you want. DO NOT FORGET the date availability factor.

one other important point: i strongly suggest that you implement this solution by creating a mod-folder-structure within the JGSME framework and then apply the change as a mod rather than editing the "live" \Data\Submarine files.

good luck!

LAA enabled
Old 08-07-20, 10:23 PM   #7
StealthRabbit
Silent Captain

I have to apologize.

I hijacked this thread from subdizzle because I thought he asked a question similar to something I wanted to know, and then I think you may have gotten us confused or something. My fault. I should have started my own thread. It's not like there is a limit to how many threads can exist in here.

What I want to do is take my current rank and all my medals, and I guess my tonnage, and start a new campaign in a new boat. With the new boat I would be getting a new crew, which is more realistic, and I would not have to deal with the disappearing deck gun crew slots when going from a Tambor or Gar to a Gato.

To put it as simple as possible, I want to start a campaign in a Gar and play until I am offered a new boat. When that happens I would just stop playing that Gar campaign, but I would take that 'Captain' (my current rank and any medals I received) and I would somehow transfer 'him' into a new campaign in a Gato that I would start as close as possible to the date that I was offered a new boat in the Gar campaign.

I don't see any other way to get around the disappearing gun crew slots when going from a Tambor or Gar to a Gato in TMO. If there is a way around the vanishing gun crew slots I have no knowledge of it.

I see what you where showing me in that last post. Even though it is not immediately applicable to this situation it is still something new I have learned and that's a good thing, so thank you. I appreciate everyone's time and effort in answering the endless number of questions that happen here.

So again, I apologize to you and subdizzle for hijacking his question and confusing things.

-StealthRabbit
Old 08-07-20, 11:25 PM   #8
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
I would not have to deal with the disappearing deck gun crew slots when going from a Tambor or Gar to a Gato.

I don't see any other way to get around the disappearing gun crew slots when going from a Tambor or Gar to a Gato in TMO. If there is a way around the vanishing gun crew slots I have no knowledge of it.

-StealthRabbit
au contraire, Mr. Rabbit.
there is a fix for missing gun crews.
you didn't ask the right question.

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloa...=5641&act=down

LAA enabled
Old 08-09-20, 12:24 AM   #9
StealthRabbit
Silent Captain

Quote:
au contraire, Mr. Rabbit.
there is a fix for missing gun crews.
you didn't ask the right question.

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloa...=5641&act=down

The only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

Somehow a while ago I got it in my head that there was no fix for this and so every decision after that pertaining to what sub I would start a new campaign/career in was a result of this incorrect assumption.

Just out of depraved curiosity, to your knowledge how long has this been a fix known to the general SUBSIM community, roughly?

And while I'm at it.

Do you know of any other MOD that let's you start before Dec 07, 1942 besides RSRDC_TMO_Pre Pearl Harbor Career Start which I already have and like, even though it only starts a week before 07 on Dec 01, 1942. Is there one out there that starts like a month or 6 weeks before Dec 07? That would be enough time to get at least a full patrol in doing recon and/or getting photos of ships. Then with radio messages from base the tension could be ratcheted up with news of Jap ship movements and attempts at diplomacy not going anywhere.

I think that started out as a question, and then turned into a specific request of a MOD for someone to make. If you know of ANY mod that starts before Peal Harbor being bombed let me know, I would very much appreciate it.

Once again, thank you for the deck gun crew fix. I WILL use it on the next campaign I start.

-StealthRabbit

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 08-11-20 at 03:06 AM.
StealthRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-20, 02:34 PM   #10
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
The only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

Just out of depraved curiosity, to your knowledge how long has this been a fix known to the general SUBSIM community, roughly?
beats me. i only documented what i saw in posts.
Quote:
Do you know of any other MOD that let's you start before Dec 07, 1942 besides RSRDC_TMO_Pre Pearl Harbor Career Start which I already have and like, even though it only starts a week before 07 on Dec 01, 1942. If there is one out there that starts like a month or 6 weeks before Dec 07? That would be enough time to get at least a full patrol in doing recon and/or getting photos of ships. Then with radio messages from base the tension could be ratcheted up with news of Jap ship movements and attempts at diplomacy not going anywhere.
-StealthRabbit
no, not to my knowledge.
doing what you are suggesting is probably not difficult, just tedious. a modder would have be sure they mod all of the related start-of-career files in order to start before 12/7/41...including enemy spawn files.

good luck!

LAA enabled
Old 08-09-20, 07:05 PM   #11
StealthRabbit
Silent Captain

Quote:
beats me. i only documented what i saw in posts.

no, not to my knowledge.
doing what you are suggesting is probably not difficult, just tedious. a modder would have be sure they mod all of the related start-of-career files in order to start before 12/7/41...including enemy spawn files.

good luck!

And luck is what I would need. I have thought about getting into Moding in a more serious way, rather then just 'adjusting' other peoples Mods to my flavor. I can use Not Pad no problem, and I have just started to scratch the surface of the capabilities of Silent 3ditor. I guess the only thing left to do is make that commitment and take that first gigantic step off the Moders cliff of Fun/Overwhelming/Disaster.

I think it's really great that so many people are still this involved in a WWII U.S. sub game that came out 13 years ago. I know that allot, or most of them came over from SH3 and then probably SH2 and SH1 before that, but still, I am not aware of any other game that has this many people this deeply involved in a game that is well over a decade old. It's pretty cool.

Thanks again.

-StealthRabbit