Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-07-20, 07:53 AM   #1
sonicninja
Watch Officer

Downloads: 936
Uploads: 0
Default Bear F harassing P3

Hi Shipmates, found some extra entertainment on DW/RA last night which was fun and unexpected.

I created a mission with the P3 in the GIUK Gap where I was flying an ASW barrier and trying to track a fast moving Alfa through a trench heading south to intercept a RN SSBN. (Resolution)

I had various other assets involved such as RN Frigates, Destroyers, Nimrod, Russian AGI and plenty of Civilian traffic.

I also added a stand alone Bear F which was to come down from the North and head West of the Faroes then South to fly a circuit off the coast of Ireland and then back up to the North.

I set this as a Peace Time mission as I prefer to create relatively realistic missions from my experience in the Royal Navy.

Anyway, everything was going as per plan, triggers were being met, Radio Messages coming in as planned with other assets alerting me of taskings then it happened:-

I picked up the Bear F on ESM to my left, looked out of the window and there he was about 2 miles off my port quarter, I wasn't expecting him anywhere near me as per his objective which was well South.

The Bear proceeded to come close in right up my stern then pass over me and continued to hassle me while i'm trying to monitor my grams, in the end I had to dive down to 300ft reduce speed to 160kts where he struggled with the slow speed and had to keep over passing me.

This continued for a while until an RAF Tornado GR1 which was on barrier patrol chased him off.

Considering I hadn't planned this event in the mission editor it really was an awesome event, i was getting frustrated with the Bear as it was putting me off my main task but great stuff, and not a single shot was fired.

Just thought I would share this event anyway.

I think one of the best factors of DW/RA is the mission planning aspect, if there's any addition events like this that happen out of the blue i am more than happy to experience them.

I mainly play with 1980-2000 assets as i'm more familiar with them than the more modern units, incidentally the Bear F in this mission is also controllable so I may try it from the other side and hassle the P3 and see what happens.
sonicninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-20, 09:28 AM   #2
tAKticool47
Bosun

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

That's awesome and hilarious lol.

Dangerous Waters has so many hilarious quirks that it's both fun and infuriating at the same time. If they would just make a 2020 version of it, it'd probably take over the world (in the area of games of modern militaristic nature etc.)

I have a story that I typed on here a year or two ago, kind of like yours, not really but funny nonetheless. I was having some fun testing some stuff out and I had set up a half-aced "Amphibious Ready Group" of an American Wasp-class LHD, I believe the Harpers Ferry-class LSD, and since there aren't any American LPDs in the game , I think I used an an UK LPD. I also attached an FFG-7 to play myself, and a DDG-51 to at least TRY to make it fair for my side (knowing the Russians would mercilessly missile us to death.)

and about 100miles South (this was based on the East Coast USA, so the ARG was off the Coast departing the Norfolk area) was a Russian SAG and one or two Russian subs - one a little North of the SAG and one much closer to the ARG.

The Battle ensued, I don't remember if I had in-flight aircraft from the Wasp or it launched it's own etc. Eventually the UK LPD decided to launch some of it's Sea King helos all on it's own, nothing to do with me. I guess they're ASW helos and they probably decided to go do some sub-hunting on their own. Eventually the Russians kill the LPD with missiles.

The two UK Sea Kings then proceed to head back to the ARG area, and as they have no more home to land on, they go into a holding pattern around the Wasp. It's hilarious and awesome- a classic circular holding pattern, and one moves into a landing pattern while the other continues to circle. It then proceeds to land perfectly, and then in an instant, right when I'm like, "Wow that was cool!" it blows up on deck. WTF?!

Right on cue, the second helo moves from the holding pattern into a landing pattern, exact same thing, comes in for a landing, lands perfectly, stops, instantly blows up.

Sucks. lol.

They also must inject some rules-breaking AI ability. The other day, I damaged a Chinese Han-class SSN to 86% !!! With a light torpedo I believe ... and then fired off a second to finish it off, the light torpedo was RIGHT ON IT, and suddenly the Han goes to 45 knots. Right. A 1st-gen nuke sub, damaged to near sinking (86%!!!) and is now running faster than any submarine in history. Obviously the Chinese Captain Tupalev ordered 105 on the reactor.

If only they'd make a modern Dangerous Waters with modern capabilities (and platforms etc.) it'd be awesome. To me, I just don't see the appeal to things like CMANO or Cold Waters ... CMANO doesn't look like there's much TO it, more like watching a war movie on a graphing calculator, and Cold Waters is more of a video game to me, woohoo look at mee, shootemup with torpedoes!

Anyway, I digress.
tAKticool47 is offline   Reply With Quote