SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-25-20, 11:03 PM   #1
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0
Default New Monitor - Can I make FOTRSU Fit?

I have been running a monitor with a native resolution of 1920x1440 at 60Hz and a comparable setting in the game's graphics Options. Everything appears appropriate in terms of scale and distortion (almost none).

However, yesterday Santa graced me with a 35" ASUS Tuf that has a native resolution of 3440x1440 (60Hz). I have been working all day to find an in-game resolution and/or Display Settings for the monitor to allow a natural display of the game screens. The closest I could come was to set the game resolution to 1600x800 at 59Hz. Even that has a pretty significant distortion in the horizontal (or maybe it's the vertical - I'm so confused at this point!

Is there anyone out there who has a modern monitor with the same or similar settings who has found a setting either in the Display Settings or the Graphics Option (or both) that will let me see a non-distorted view (or really close to it) and most important, use the full width of the monitor?

I've downloaded the v1.39 for FOTRSU but I don't want to start it until I can get a better (non-distorted) view that uses the whole screen, if that is even possible.

Thanks for your help!

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-20, 12:40 AM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Is there a choice for 2560x1080? I kind of doubt it, since your monitor is 21:9 ratio... but maybe a 16:9 ratio in a Window?...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-20, 02:33 PM   #3
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Is there a choice for 2560x1080? I kind of doubt it, since your monitor is 21:9 ratio... but maybe a 16:9 ratio in a Window?...
I decided not to fight it. I left the Monitor in its native resolution 3440x1440 (where I have the display set to 150% for text, apps, etc. so I can read them) and set the game graphics to 2580x1440. The print is a bit small, and it does not go edge to edge, but it sure is pretty!

I have also tried setting the monitor to 2560x1440 and the game graphics to 2580 which is also not bad. I just hate to have to have the monitor run at less than the optimum resolution for everything else, which is why I set it back to 3440x1440.

Maybe someday we will have a new WWII US Sub game that lets us totally customize all the settings, or at least add new settings that keep up with the technology. But that's dreaming, of course. How could a Dev make money packing in all that detail?

Anyway, thanks for your response.

I've started a new career with v1.39. So far, so good! Man, there sure are a lot of patrol boats up near the South end of Formosa in the strait!

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-20, 02:51 PM   #4
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

I'll look at the Patrol Boats around there, but depending upon the time period, yes, you could encounter quite a few, especially as they fan out for a task force departing... - may-haps someone will get into doing an "ultra-wide screen" display for SH4, ala the wide screen mods for SH3?... lol

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote