SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-01-07, 04:19 PM   #1
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Downloads: 265
Uploads: 127
Default [REL] Radio Stations and Music Mods

I have created several radio mods for Silent Hunter 4, as well as separate music files, divided by year for the WWII era, or by decade for the "oldies." Most music file songs are in mp3 format, some in wav and/or ogg. They can be used with any radio station or the Gramophone.

Most files are in 256MB multi-part RAR format. You MUST download all the parts in order to extract properly!

Radio stations do not include music, only the appropriate news and/or entertainment programs. Except for the KGMB, KOTR, NHK, and Radio Vladivostok stations, they are subdivided by year for the music files. While you can control programs in the "Events" folder, you can't control the music. And hearing a song about Iwo Jima in 1942 is just ...wrong. Except for the KOTR station, only episodes from December 1941 through August 14th, 1945 are used. Not all episodes of a program may be available.

All radio stations include readmes. These contain installation instructions, more information, and the channel info you'll need to copy and paste into the "radio.ini" in order to hear the radio stations.

Files marked with an asterisk (*) are available for download here on Subsim.com's Downloads area, under SH4 Sound FX Mods.

Download from Mediafire:
Music: http://www.mediafire.com/?pgn1xoif7rbf7
Radio Stations: http://www.mediafire.com/?ykwl5sqfi4eyk

Here is what I have available:

Music Files

1940s Music

1940 Music - 3 files, 754 MB total. 359 songs from the year 1940.

1941 Music - 3 files, 743 MB total. 363 songs from the year 1941.

1942 Music - 3 files, 580 MB total. 268 songs from the year 1942.

1943 Music - 1 file, 378 MB total. 186 songs from the year 1943.

1944 Music - 3 files, 512 MB total. 259 songs from the year 1944.

1945 Music - 2 files, 505 MB total. 240 songs from the year 1945.

V-Discs - 9 files, 2.03 GB total. 1,202 songs from the wartime V-Disc program. All are in OGG format. Intended primarily for the Gramophone.

Other Music

1910s Music - 5 files, 1.01 GB total. 428 songs from the 1910s or earlier.

1920s Music - 5 files, 1 GB total. 584 songs from the 1920s.

1930s Music - 7 files, 1.68 GB total. 1062 songs from the 1930s.

NOTE: The 1910s, 1920s, and 1930s files do contain the same songs released by different artists in different years, but not the same year. There is only one version per year. If you use these songs in the Gramophone, I recommend you use my SH4 Randomizer, or the Gramophone Songrandomizer to avoid hearing the same song more than once in a row.

British Music* - 3 files, 622 MB total. 390 songs by British singers and/or bands from the WWII era or before.

Chinese Music - 8 files, 1.99 GB total. 437 traditional Chinese songs in MP3 format. Includes a readme file with more info, and info to create a separate radio station for these songs.

Country Music - 16 files, 3.89 GB total. 1850 songs from the WWII era or before. Songs are mostly in MP3 format, with a few in OGG format. Includes a readme file with more info, and info to create a separate radio station for these songs.

French Music* - 8 files, 1.92 GB total. 670 songs from the WWII era or before. Some songs are in English, but are by French artists or by artists who were most popular in France. There are some more Josephine Baker songs included, but no duplicates from the separate set of her also available. Songs are mostly in MP3 format, with a few in OGG format.

More French Music
- 3 files, 617 MB total. 241 songs from the WWII era or before, or possibly after. Some songs are in English, but are by French artists or by artists who were most popular in France. There are some more Josephine Baker songs included, but no duplicates from the other sets.

George Formby Songs*
- 1 file, 322 MB. 94 songs from the British novelty song singer. Note there are no duplicate songs from the British Music file above.

Hawaiian Music* - 4 files, 961 MB. 342 songs from the WWII era or before.

More Hawaiian Music* - 1 file, 458.89 MB. 148 songs from the WWII era or before.

Japanese Koto Music* - 1 file, 309 MB. 30 songs performed with the traditional Japanese Koto, which is a string instrument. Some songs also feature vocals, in Japanese of course.

More Japanese Music* - 1 file, 406 MB. 135 Japanese songs from the 1930s or earlier.

Josephine Baker Songs* - 1 file, 80.4 MB. 21 songs from the American born French superstar. 1/3 are in English, the rest are in french. All were recorded in France in the 1930s.

Russian Music* - 9 files, 2.17 GB total. 855 songs from the WWII era or before. All songs are in OGG format.

Radio Stations

KPO (NBC) radio station - 34 files, 8.33 GB total.

This will add the real life NBC radio station KPO in San Francisco. It includes NBC news broadcasts, some speeches, the Abbott and Costello, Amos and Andy, Battle Stations, Bob Hope, Edgar Bergen and Charlie McCarthy, Duffy's Tavern, Fibber McGee and Molly, The Great Gildersleeve, Jack Benny, Kraft Music Hall, Lum and Abner, Red Skelton, Spike Jones, This is War, and Words At War entertainment programs. Readme contains info to change the station to KFI, Los Angeles as that is the actual station program listings that were used.

KPO (NBC) Add-on - 7 files, 1.56 GB total.

This add-on greatly expands the D-Day news coverage, as well as correcting the time of some programs. It also adds new episodes of the following: 2 Duffy's Tavern, 2 Fibber McGee And Molly, 2 Lum and Abner, 2 This is War, 4 Abbott and Costello, 4 Edgar Bergen and Charlie McCarthy, 5 Bob Hope (also adds a longer version of the D-Day show), 5 Kraft Music Hall, and 12 Red Skelton to my KPO radio mod. It also adds the following new series: An American In England, Dear Adolf, Dinah Shore, Eddie Cantor, Old Gold Comedy Theater, Speaking Of Liberty.

Armed Forces Radio Service stations - 21 files, 5.13 GB total.

This is a set of up to 4 radio stations. These stations (Honolulu, Midway, Guam [from September 1944], and Wollongong, Australia) play programs produced by the Armed Forces Radio Service. Programs included are Command Performance, G.I. Jive, G.I. Journal, Mail Call, Melody Roundup, and One Night Stand. It does not include any news. The readme file includes alternate channel info to create one global range station, or two 4000 nautical mile range stations.

AFRS Add-on - 13 files, 3.19 GB total.

This will add 7 Command Performance, 9 G.I. Jive, 17 G.I. Journal, 6 Mail Call, and 57 One Night Stand episodes to my AFRS radio mod. It also adds the following new series: At Ease, Downbeat, Front Line Theatre, Jubilee, Mystery Playhouse, Sound Off, and Yank Bandstand.

KGMB Honolulu radio station* - 4 files, 882 MB total.

This will add the real life CBS radio station KGMB in Honolulu. This station plays news produced by the CBS network, as well as some speeches. This station is famous as the one both the Japanese and the American B-17 bombers used to home in on Honolulu on the morning of December 7th, 1941. It does not include any entertainment programs.

KGMB Honolulu Add-on* - 1 file, 117.79 MB.

This will add 1 new news bulletin, 1 Edward R. Murrow, and 25 World News Today episodes to my KGMB radio mod.

KNX (CBS) radio station - 9 files, 2.2 GB total.

This will add the real life CBS radio station KNX in Los Angeles. It includes CBS news broadcasts, some speeches, and the Burns and Allen, Danny Kaye, Fred Allen, Orson Welles' Radio Almanac, and This Is War entertainment programs.

KNX (CBS) Add-on - 2 files, 320.39 MB total.

This will add 1 new news bulletin, 1 Burns and Allen, 1 Edward R. Murrow, 2 This is War, 3 Fred Allen, and 25 World News Today episodes to my KNX radio mod. It also adds the following new series: An American In England, and Dinah Shore.

NHK Radio Tokyo* - 1 file, 67.7 MB.

This will add the real life Japanese radio station NHK in Tokyo. It includes a couple of speeches (in Japanese of course) and the few "Zero Hour" propaganda programs that can be found. The music segments of ZH are what became known as the "Tokyo Rose" broadcasts. Unfortunately, no programs are available before August, 1944. And those that are available are not very good quality. But they are authentic.

KHJ (MBS) Radio Station - 16 files, 3.98 GB.

This will add the real life Mutual Broadcasting System station KHJ in Los Angeles. It includes MBS news broadcasts, some speeches, the Adventures of Superman, The Lone Ranger, The Shadow, and This is War entertainment programs.

KHJ Add-on - 1 file, 282 MB.

This will add 2 This is War, 4 Adventures of Superman, and 29 The Lone Ranger episodes to my KHJ radio mod.

Wartime Public Service Announcements* - 1 file, 1.74 MB.

These are 9 American PSA's from WWII. Extract directly into the same folders as the music for your radio stations so they will play randomly while you are listening to the radio. For historical realism, these should not be used with any foreign stations, or my AFRS stations if you have them as they didn't play commercials and such. Includes readme file.

Wartime Public Service Announcements 2* - 1 file, 11.9 MB.

These are 23 American PSA's from WWII. Extract directly into the same folders as the music for your radio stations so they will play randomly while you are listening to the radio. For historical realism, these should not be used with any foreign stations, or my AFRS stations if you have them as they didn't play commercials and such. Includes readme file.

KOTR San Francisco Radio Station - 62 files, 15.3 GB.

This will add the fictional radio station KOTR in San Francisco to your SH4 radio. I created it for use as a way of playing programs from before the time frame of the game. Something like when network TV shows go into syndication after a few years on the air, but which radio programs back then never actually did. The programs included are: Amos & Andy, Baby Snooks, Bergen & McCarthy, Bob Hope, Burns & Allen, Calling All Cars, Eddie Cantor, Fibber McGee & Molly, Flash Gordon, Fred Allen, Great Gildersleeve, Green Hornet, Jack Benny, Jungle Jim, Leatherstocking Tales, Log Cabin Jamboree, Lone Ranger, Lum & Abner, Red Skelton, Ripley's Believe It Or Not, Superman, Tarzan, and The Shadow. It does not include any news.

Radio Vladivostok* - 1 file, 193 MB.

This will add a fictional radio station based in the Russian Pacific port city of Vladivostok to your SH4 radio. This station plays news and a few speeches, in Russian of course. For between program music you can use my Russian Music files.

KLVW San Francisco - 1 file, 677.54 MB.

This will add the fictional radio station KLVW in San Francisco to your SH4 radio. I created it for playing syndicated programs from the war years. The programs included are: Jungle Jim, March of Time (Pearl Harbor episode only), Office Of War Information Mileage Rationing Program (single program), Soldiers Of The Press. It does not include any news.

Last edited by fred8615; 01-27-15 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Removed SilentHuntermods links.
fred8615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-07, 06:15 PM   #2
Payoff
Captain

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

Wow. I think I need a bigger hard drive. I think I will just try bits & pieces. Cant get enough of these radio mods.

Thanks

Edit: Does the Honolulu station contain any Hawaiian music? Having a hard time filling up my Honolulu station.
"Hit Shokaku class carrier with three out of six torpedos. Recieved 105 depth charges during three hour period. Heard four terrific explosions in the direction of target, two and one half hours after attack. Believe that baby sank!" Lieutenant Commander Herman Kossler USS Cavalla
Payoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-07, 08:25 AM   #3
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payoff
Edit: Does the Honolulu station contain any Hawaiian music? Having a hard time filling up my Honolulu station.
No, it doesn't. I use bunkeratt's island music.rar (http://hosted.filefront.com/bunkerratt) file and a few Hawaiian themed songs from my music files. I've been looking, but haven't found anything more.
Old 08-03-07, 02:10 PM   #4
kylesplanet
Commodore

Downloads: 39

I have an external drive just waiting for this. I just love these radio mods. Downloading now. Thanks! :p
kylesplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-07, 07:17 AM   #5
Misfit138
Lieutenant

Downloads: 80

Thank you for sharing this awesome mod. I salute you

Although, haven't had the time to test this properly mainly because I've been downloading this package for more than few days already so I would also like to thank you for convincing me to upgrade my slow and crappy 512/512 into 8M/1M
Misfit138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-07, 09:01 AM   #6
fred8615
Saint of the seas

That was the thing that most concerned me. Some of them being so large, even people with broadband wouldn't want to download them. Happily, that doesn't appear to be a problem.

Thanks for the comments.
Old 08-08-07, 09:47 AM   #7
Misfit138
Lieutenant

Well, the size doesn't really matter if you're a radio junkie like me

But generally to anybody who decides to release these radio add-ons, how about making different versions from them? Like light, medium, heavy etc.

I'm sure there's people who like these radio mods but probable not with same extent as I do so some kind of cut down light version for them might be pretty cool
Old 08-08-07, 07:02 PM   #8
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Actually, for a brief moment while making these, I did think about doing that. But then the question became, what do I cut out? And I couldn't decide.

In a way though, I did do that. For those who want just news with their music, there's the KGMB station. For news and a little entertainment, the CBS station. For a little less news and a lot of entertainment, the NBC station. And finally, for just entertainment, and no news, the AFRS stations.

I love it when a plan comes together! :rotfl:
Old 08-08-07, 08:11 PM   #9
Misfit138
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred8615
Actually, for a brief moment while making these, I did think about doing that. But then the question became, what do I cut out? And I couldn't decide.
Yeah, I know. That's THE problem but another option might be just to make existing audio files shorter but it's hell of a job...

Anyways, great mod. It's 4:11 am here at the moment and been sailing and listening the news for about 5 hours now

Hmm, better start making coffee :p
Old 08-09-07, 12:34 AM   #10
Justink
Swabbie

Downloads: 108

Thank you for this mod! My crew and I love listening to The Great Gildersleeve.
Justink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-07, 08:11 AM   #11
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit138
Yeah, I know. That's THE problem but another option might be just to make existing audio files shorter but it's hell of a job...
Did you really mean "shorter?" Cause you can't really make them shorter without cutting out some of the program itself.

Now if you meant "smaller" by reducing the bitrate, I consciously chose not to do that. It lowers the quality.
Old 08-09-07, 08:27 AM   #12
Misfit138
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred8615
Did you really mean "shorter?" Cause you can't really make them shorter without cutting out some of the program itself..
Well, cutting out some parts of the programs wouldn't be so bad but then there's that another problem, which parts? :p

Some sort of light version of course requires leaving out all of the non-essential parts of the radio broadcast. The idea which I do not like but I'm a radio junkie

But lowering the bitrate is out of the question. There's no point in releasing a radio addon where the bitrate of the files has been lowered and thus the quality is so crappy that you can barely hear the news!
Old 08-16-07, 11:14 AM   #13
Reinhard Hardegen
Raiders of the Deep

Downloads: 255

I will have to get a new external drive, just to keep SH3 and SH4 on, but thanks for the links, I will download them just as soon as I get my new drive.
A quote from Donitz; “The reason that the American Navy does so well in wartime is that war is chaos, and the Americans practice chaos on a daily basis.” “For the lessons one fails to learn during peacetime, one pays a high price in war.”
Reinhard Hardegen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-07, 04:51 PM   #14
alexoscar
Gunner

Downloads: 72

Thank you very much! I love the forty's music.

Regards.
alexoscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-07, 01:45 PM   #15
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Thanks for your work on this

RDP

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags