SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > UBOAT
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-13-19, 11:11 AM   #1
TDK1044
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 0
Default Interesting to see the love/hate nature of the posts

It's interesting to see the love/hate posts regarding U Boat. Those who were looking for SH6 don't much care for it, and those looking for something very different are liking what they see in this early version of the game.

My own view is that because this game has been designed to be incredibly moddable, it will be possible to end up with a game that offers a nice balance of atmospheric immersion and crew management. I think it will take about four to six months to get there, but I think it will be worth the wait.
TDK1044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-19, 02:36 PM   #2
bmaxa
Swabbie

Downloads: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDK1044 View Post
It's interesting to see the love/hate posts regarding U Boat. Those who were looking for SH6 don't much care for it, and those looking for something very different are liking what they see in this early version of the game.

My own view is that because this game has been designed to be incredibly moddable, it will be possible to end up with a game that offers a nice balance of atmospheric immersion and crew management. I think it will take about four to six months to get there, but I think it will be worth the wait.

What I wait most are type IX and Type XXI submarines :P
Devs said that XXI will be there for sure even if it would not be historical...
bmaxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-19, 03:46 PM   #3
zuff
Watch

Downloads: 91

From the 40 or so hours I've put in I see this easily filling the role of SH6 once the bugs are ironed out and more story content is added.

When the mod tools are releasing I believe we are going to see some amazing work from the community.
zuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-19, 06:25 PM   #4
divemonkie
Medic

Downloads: 1031

I've only had about 90 min of play, but I can see with a hand full of tools how this community will turn it into sh6 only better!
divemonkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-19, 05:53 PM   #5
SubV
Planesman

Downloads: 182
Uploads: 4

I don't hate Uboot, this is just not my cup of tea. I'm not a big fan of arcade games (based on Unity/.NET) with lots of micromanagement.
SubV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-19, 09:24 PM   #6
bmaxa
Swabbie

Downloads: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubV View Post
I don't hate Uboot, this is just not my cup of tea. I'm not a big fan of arcade games (based on Unity/.NET) with lots of micromanagement.

Well, you can play both third and first person. I don't see how it is different then SH5.
Regarding Unity/.NET I can't see connection between two.
bmaxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-19, 10:35 PM   #7
Chock
Sea Lord

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDK1044 View Post

Needs a bit of work to iron out some GUI glitches, but it's not bad so far.
Old 05-15-19, 11:57 AM   #8
jimbob
Ensign

Downloads: 365
Uploads: 6

Im kinda liking it. Interesting to see where it goes from here.
The full release was said to be next year so there's some time to fix bugs etc.

And even now, we can edit those xlxs files + there's a console to ease the grind, and SDK coming up later.

Modding excel files is somewhat useless now since updates comes daily.
Atleast in the unstable branch that I've been playing.

Good times ahead if the game gets to be stable.
I'm pretty sure it will heavily modded.

Very interesting times indeed.
jimbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-19, 02:10 AM   #9
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 11

Its really funny to still see people using the term 'arcade' to describe a game in 2019,
and its such an inaccurate description of Uboat - I can only assume those who call it that haven't actually played it yet.
Over at steam the constant complaints about the game are the total opposite, e.g there is too much to think about, it need to be easier, more accessible & intuitive etc... just like.... (drum roll) Silent Hunter!
And its true Silent hunter was not a very complicated game to get into, it was like half sim half sink em up. My boy could get the hang of the basics after an hour when he was 7.
You can call that 'arcade' but I'd call it good game design. because 'more difficult' doesn't mean its better.

I can think of quite a lot of flaws with U-boat, but 'arcade' is not one of them. if anything the opposite is true.

Last edited by JU_88; 05-16-19 at 03:38 AM.
JU_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-19, 06:42 AM   #10
Julhelm
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 189

Well they just throw around 'arcade' as a derogatory term to differentiate it from 'sims' that 'serious business'. Because to these guys realism = procedures. The more intricate the procedures, the more realistic it is and therefore the better it is. Silly metrics like accessibility and potential sales do not concern them.
Julhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-19, 06:43 AM   #11
LordInquisitor
Swabbie

Downloads: 0

Silent Hunter was very moddable you could go from arcade to sim and various other factors. UBOAT while harder lacks that modularity. it will have in future but for now your somewhat stuck with default settings not everyone likes.

I must say that i like actual dynamic campaign, in which apparently you can set how much impact player can have on war, and can actually impact Supply situation in britain to limited degree for example. While it wont be possible to win the war it will be possible to lenghten it and im fairly sure there will be mods going full Wolfenstein. + Game has Support for Campaign and not just Sandbox meaning you might have various tasks such as sink particular ship etc, Which might make it interesting. And i like the HQ feature allowing you to use experienced officers from your ship in HQ to for example Speed up Setting Uboat Pens in Lorient.

So imho this is gonna be succesor. Its just currently its in Silent Hunter V at release state.
LordInquisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-19, 07:10 AM   #12
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 490
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julhelm View Post
Well they just throw around 'arcade' as a derogatory term to differentiate it from 'sims' that 'serious business'. Because to these guys realism = procedures. The more intricate the procedures, the more realistic it is and therefore the better it is. Silly metrics like accessibility and potential sales do not concern them.
Yours and JU88's comments are very good. Many people believe hard, difficult, etc., equals realistic, so that in the end, things are actually made unrealistic by such actions.
Making a game hard and difficult doesn't automatically make a game realistic. It just means it's hard and difficult.
Old 05-16-19, 11:41 AM   #13
CybrSlydr
Lieutenant

Downloads: 13

I'd love to know what these "arcade" people consider unrealistic about the game. Pretty sim to me!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 05-16-19, 01:32 PM   #14
Julhelm
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 189

Quote:
Originally Posted by CybrSlydr View Post
I'd love to know what these "arcade" people consider unrealistic about the game. Pretty sim to me!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Because what they consider a baseline sim amounts to SAM simulator in a uboat.
Julhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-19, 05:23 PM   #15
Nordmann
Commodore

Downloads: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by CybrSlydr View Post
They're frustrated that it isn't a straight up clone of the Silent Hunter series, instead of being grateful that someone took a risk on a genre most won't touch with a ten foot barge pole.

I think at this point they're not fans of submarine games, so much as they're fans of one particular submarine game, which they believe is the only type of submarine game which should exist. Which begs the question, why not just play the game you enjoy?