Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-02-19, 11:28 AM   #1
kolc
Watch

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0
Default DW Options causes crash

Finally got the game to work on WIN10...bought from Steam...but if I click Options it crashes....does any one know how to resolve this issue? Playable otherwise just can't adjust options...
kolc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-19, 03:01 PM   #2
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

When you click options then the MS Speech applet boots up automatically. It might be that this task switching kills the game. Or something is going wrong with the Speech engine itself. That is the direction I would investigate first.
Old 06-02-19, 07:19 PM   #3
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 56

With the speech option, the game might crash to the desktop but you should be able to click on the shortcut and get back into the options screen.

For options like screen rez, you'll probably need to edit dangerouswaters.ini to make any changes. Just open the .ini file in notepad (and only in notepad) and make the changes you want, then save. The options are listed under [graphics] and should be self-explanatory but if you're unsure just ask.

ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-19, 11:51 AM   #4
kolc
Watch

Thank you both. Problem solved. Much appreciated.
Old 06-03-19, 12:00 PM   #5
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

What was the solution?
Old 06-03-19, 05:21 PM   #6
kolc
Watch

I just followed through with the set up of the Voice app and now I can access options.
Old 06-04-19, 01:25 AM   #7
Pirate
Lieutenant

Downloads: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolc View Post
I just followed through with the set up of the Voice app and now I can access options.
So, truth be told, it didn't crash, it just switched to desktop!
Old 06-04-19, 07:11 AM   #8
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

Yes, but that usually results in Dangerous Waters crashing haha so it indirectly crashes it. That's part of the reason I run it in a window (using DxWnd).

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-19, 07:11 AM   #9
kolc
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
So, truth be told, it didn't crash, it just switched to desktop!

Perhaps...truth be told...now I can select options and still play the game without having to restart my computer....
Old 06-04-19, 11:32 AM   #10
Pirate
Lieutenant

Downloads: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSchazly View Post
Yes, but that usually results in Dangerous Waters crashing haha so it indirectly crashes it. That's part of the reason I run it in a window (using DxWnd).
It has been my experience since the 5 years I've been playing DW in win8 and win10 that the speech recognition wizard always forces DW back to the desktop, but then I simply click on the DW icon in the taskbar and it switches back to the game where it left off - no crashing whatsoever.
This has been like I said 5 years, first in win8 and later in win10, across 3 different laptops.
BTW I always use Kolmat's dll wrapper with DW fullscreen and (win8/win10 with no scaling).

Now going into options and trying to switch resolution via options in game, that yes, always crashes DW.
Solution is to change resolution via config file (dangerouswaters.ini)
Old 06-04-19, 12:05 PM   #11
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
It has been my experience since the 5 years I've been playing DW in win8 and win10 that the speech recognition wizard always forces DW back to the desktop, but then I simply click on the DW icon in the taskbar and it switches back to the game where it left off - no crashing whatsoever.
This has been like I said 5 years, first in win8 and later in win10, across 3 different laptops.
BTW I always use Kolmat's dll wrapper with DW fullscreen and (win8/win10 with no scaling).

Now going into options and trying to switch resolution via options in game, that yes, always crashes DW.
Solution is to change resolution via config file (dangerouswaters.ini)

That's fair. In my experience, DW can have hissy fits with alt+tabbing, so why risk it? I like running in a window for other reasons, too, like easily accessing the frequency sheet or the internet.

My videos:
Old 06-06-19, 07:35 AM   #12
kolc
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSchazly View Post
That's fair. In my experience, DW can have hissy fits with alt+tabbing, so why risk it? I like running in a window for other reasons, too, like easily accessing the frequency sheet or the internet.

BTW...your videos are helpful...did you do one covering use of torpedoes with the MH60? I saw the strike missile one. I am assuming the procedure is similar but my torps keep missing...I figure I am either not firing it correctly or I haven't sufficiently identified the target for it to acquire properly...but don't know...
Old 06-09-19, 09:56 AM   #13
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolc View Post
BTW...your videos are helpful...did you do one covering use of torpedoes with the MH60? I saw the strike missile one. I am assuming the procedure is similar but my torps keep missing...I figure I am either not firing it correctly or I haven't sufficiently identified the target for it to acquire properly...but don't know...

Thank you! I'm glad they helped. I never did make that air-dropped torpedoes video. I will say that air-dropped torpedoes require much more accuracy in their placement than submarine-based torpedoes. The lightweight torpedo seeker heads are not as powerful, so you really need to know the position of the submarine you're dropping against. You should be doing final localization with a DICASS (active) sonobuoy. You could maybe use the dipping sonar but at least with the DICASS you can move around to get into a better position for dropping. I always preferred trying to come up from behind the submarine with a torpedo set to SNAKE as I seemed to have difficulties using CIRCLE, but I don't have as much experience air-dropping torpedoes. If you're using RA, I think the lightweight torpedo seeker heads are even weaker, but I don't know for certain.

My videos: