SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-03-20, 01:24 PM   #1
rudewarrior
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 165
Uploads: 2
Default Procedure for eliminating the shakedown patrol when using SH3Cmdr.

So, if you play with a mod that allows you to leave port prior to the war (I play GWX), and you use SH3 Commander, there is an unfortunate side effect. You will have a shakedown patrol that is 4-5 days long that counts towards your patrols and gives your crewmen experience. This has always bothered me, and through a series of experiments, I have managed to write a procedure for eliminating this patrol. This will allow you to start a career prior to the war, e.g. 19 Aug 1939, and have that patrol be the first one counted for career purposes.

There is a possibility that you can abbreviate this procedure and conduct it immediately after starting your second patrol (the one after the shakedown). However, since it is understood that it is better with SH3 in general to mess with save games and such while in port, ideally this procedure is written with the understanding that you are editing this save game after you have completed your second patrol (the one after the shakedown) and are in port.

Also, good text file editing software (I recommend Notepad++) is your friend.

Go into your save game under /data/cfg/careers and conduct the following procedure:

1. Delete folder "0."

2. Rename folder "1" to folder "0."

3. This step may be unnecessary. All I am doing is correcting the crew career dispositions for the particular save games. Unless you actually load one of these save games, I don't think you have to take this step, but I include it for completeness. Go into your newly named folder 0. Open each file with the name crew_config_<save game name>.cfg. Remember, this only applies to shakedown crew members ONLY. Change all lines of Patrols=1 to Patrols=0. Change all lines of Experience=501.000000 to one less at Experience=500.000000. Do the same for entries of 401, 301, 201, 151, 101, 51, 21, and 1. You have now eliminated the "experience" gained from the shakedown patrol.

4. Go back out to the main career folder, and delete Log_0.cfg.

5. Rename Log_1.cfg to Log_0.cfg.

6. Delete Crew_Career_00.cfg and Crew_Career_0.cfg.

7. Rename the following files:
Crew_Career_10.cfg -> Crew_Career_00.cfg
Crew_Career_1.cfg -> Crew_Career_0.cfg
Crew_Career_20.cfg -> Crew_Career_10.cfg

8. Open Crew_Career_00.cfg and do the exact same thing as conducted in step 3 above (for shakedown crew members ONLY).

9. Open Crew_Career_0.cfg and Crew_Career_10.cfg and do the same thing as conducted in step 3 above, but with a couple of slight differences. First, instead of doing Patrols=1 -> Patrols=0, do Patrols=2 -> Patrols=1. You also have to change the experience lines as well; however, if you sunk any ships, it is likely that your crew members have picked up more than one point of experience, as they get a default of one per patrol. I'm not absolutely sure, but I think that crewman can gain different experience per mission. Either way, we will operate on that assumption. The way to quickly check is in your Sh3Cmdr interface. Click on "Click for available actions...," and then click on "Manage your crew..." From there you can look at each crew member and see how much experience he has gained. In my most recent patrol, they had all gained 6 points from the last two missions (including the shakedown patrol), so my highest ranking officer sat at an experience of 506. So I had to change Experience=506.000000 to Experience=505.000000 for his entry. Do the same for all the other entries reducing all of their Experience values by 1 (Again, for shakedown crew members ONLY) You can adapt the method from step 3 above to help facilitate this.

10.Open Careers_0.cfg. Under [INIT] Change Careers=2 -> Careers=1. Completely eliminate the first career listing. This means the block of entries beginning with [CAREER 000] and all entries after up to and including the line Hydrophones_Receivers=. Change the remaining career listings such that they are all one less e.g. [CAREER 001] -> [CAREER 000]

11. Open Patrols_0.cfg and do the same thing except the listings end at ChangedRank= and the headings will look like [PATROL 000] instead.

12. Open Patrols.cfg and do the same thing that you did for Patrols_0.cfg. In addition, under [PATROL 000], change PatrolNumber=1 to PatrolNumber=0.

13. Open Careers.cfg and do the same thing as you did in step 10, but then you will do some extra work. Make sure that the [INIT] block remains after the your first career listing, i.e. it is after the block headed by [CAREER 000]. For some reason the [INIT] block is in a different location in this file. Change the following lines:
CareerNumber=1 -> CareerNumber=0
Patrols=2 -> Patrols=1
NbPatrolsInFlotilla0=2 -> NbPatrolsInFlotilla0=1
Then delete the entry in PortName=. Finally, the first entry in this file has a slightly different sequence. Take all lines from AttackPeriscope=0.000000 to Hydrophones_Receivers=0.000000, inclusive, and cut and paste them immediately after [CAREER 000] and before the next line CareerNumber=0.

Congratulations! You have gone from this:

to this:

I will also post this in the SH3 Cmdr thread, but I thought it warranted its own thread.

Cheers!
rudewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-20, 03:01 PM   #2
FUBAR295
Krusty Krab

Downloads: 428
Uploads: 0

Rudewarrior,

Very nice. Will try it out.

Good hunting,
FUBAR295

FUBAR295 is offline   Reply With Quote