SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-01-07, 10:51 AM   #211
Puster Bill
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilray
The missing binoculars bug has occurred every time the bridge station is selected during the five Naval Academy missions and the Happy Times single mission. I'll try the reinstall.

Thanks
I don't think that will help. I have the same bug, and I think it is related to the video card you are using. Also, see if the crew uniforms are in strange psychedelic colors.

It doesn't affect gameplay. I've just gotten used to it (through 2 stock SHIII installs, patched to 1.4b, and GWX).
Old 06-04-07, 08:44 PM   #212
Devilray
Nub

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puster Bill
Quote:
The missing binoculars bug has occurred every time the bridge station is selected during the five Naval Academy missions and the Happy Times single mission. I'll try the reinstall.

Thanks
I don't think that will help. I have the same bug, and I think it is related to the video card you are using. Also, see if the crew uniforms are in strange psychedelic colors.

It doesn't affect gameplay. I've just gotten used to it (through 2 stock SHIII installs, patched to 1.4b, and GWX).
I too have a crew in psychedelic colors. I thought maybe they were just a green crew who hadn't gotten their sea legs yet. Must be the video card.
Devilray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-07, 03:44 PM   #213
Kaleun Klink
Seaman

Downloads: 1

Quote:
I too have a crew in psychedelic colors. I thought maybe they were just a green crew who hadn't gotten their sea legs yet. Must be the video card.
I can confirm that tie-dyed uniforms (and psychedelic colors on the periscope when it breaks the surface) is a video card issue.

For immersion's sake (because I haven't gotten around to installing a new video card yet), I chalk it up to funny mushrooms in the sub's provisions...

Current games: UBOAT ... Victory at Sea Pacific ...

Ye olde games: SH3 + GWX3 Gold ... SH4 plain vanilla ... Steam and Iron ... Jutland ... War Plan Pacific ...

...and many board games!
Kaleun Klink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-07, 12:12 PM   #214
danurve
The Old Man

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Kyster
Don't know who's in charge, so I'll post here...

When opening the Silent Hunter III Community Manual I get "tons" of errors like

Notice: Only variable references should be returned by reference in /var/www/html/shiii/includes/SkinTemplate.php on line 136

But nothing wrong with content! Very nice work!
Replying to an older post, but as noted on page 1 of this thread the Community Manual is back on-line; SilentHunterIII Community Manual.
She needs a few updates as our game keeps rolling, some of the work has begun.
Old 07-24-07, 11:42 PM   #215
DirtyACE
Engineer

Downloads: 28

Hi everyone,

I am completely new to this game. I don't have any experience with SH as this is the first sub game I have ever played. Just got it a few days ago and am still only on the Naval Academy part. I'm currently trying to pass the Torpedo training and exam. This forum and especially this thread have been extremely helpful and I thank all the great people that are a part of this community. Now I have some questions:

1. I'm eager to try the GWX mod but am confused. I went to the link underneath the sig of one of the members to download the mod but found a list of different files with GWX in their name fields. Are all these for the mod, like different parts or do I just need to download one of them?

2. This is related to GWX as well. I already created a profile for myself within the game but haven't started an actual career yet, still in Navy Academy. After I have installed GWX, will I be able to continue with my current profile with the new changes and additions of the mod or will I have to make a new one?

3. I have already downloaded the SH3Comdr27 mod and the Sh3Gen_v082 mod. Are these the most current versions? Also, should these two be installed after GWX or before? I know they're supposed to be stand-alone mods but I just want to make sure that what I'm doing is correct.

4. Here's the current list of essential mods that are recommended:
- GWX
- SH3Comdr2
- Sh3Gen_v082

Do I have all of them covered or are there other mods that you would recommend for a newbie?
DirtyACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-07, 08:11 AM   #216
robj250
Sea Lord

Location: Port Hardy, BC, Canada 75 yo with M.S. & C.O.P.D. & heart problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyACE
Hi everyone,

I am completely new to this game. I don't have any experience with SH as this is the first sub game I have ever played. Just got it a few days ago and am still only on the Naval Academy part. I'm currently trying to pass the Torpedo training and exam. This forum and especially this thread have been extremely helpful and I thank all the great people that are a part of this community. Now I have some questions:

1. I'm eager to try the GWX mod but am confused. I went to the link underneath the sig of one of the members to download the mod but found a list of different files with GWX in their name fields. Are all these for the mod, like different parts or do I just need to download one of them?

2. This is related to GWX as well. I already created a profile for myself within the game but haven't started an actual career yet, still in Navy Academy. After I have installed GWX, will I be able to continue with my current profile with the new changes and additions of the mod or will I have to make a new one?

3. I have already downloaded the SH3Comdr27 mod and the Sh3Gen_v082 mod. Are these the most current versions? Also, should these two be installed after GWX or before? I know they're supposed to be stand-alone mods but I just want to make sure that what I'm doing is correct.

4. Here's the current list of essential mods that are recommended:
- GWX
- SH3Comdr2
- Sh3Gen_v082

Do I have all of them covered or are there other mods that you would recommend for a newbie?
Welcome Dirty Ace.

Regarding question 1. There are five file with the GWX name. You have to download them into a separate folder. Now wait and read the rest first before installing it.

You mention that you have just started in Silent Hunter 3 and are presently going through the training. I fully support your finishing the Acadamey training and then play a few game to get the feel of things before installing GWX. Your present profile will be okay and can be used with GWX.

If you intend to install GWX after you finish your naval academy, DO NOT add any mods except JSGME.

GWX MUST be installed in a CLEAN SH3, in other words, not mods installed installed except for JSGME.

The reason I suggest that you get the feel for the game using just SH3, is that you fill find a total difference in GWX, much harder, but lots of fun.

Yes you may use your current career; BUT, what you must do first, before installing GWX, is to rename the folder in My Documents that is called Silent Hunter. The reason you must do this is, if you wish to use your current career, you must rename the file, I suggest Silent Hunter_org because when you install GWX, it will create the folder Silent Hunter in MY Documents. Now simply copy what is in the fold you renamed, and open the folder that GWX made, and paste. The reason I suggest this, is because you will have a copy of your original start.

Now I'm not absolutely sure about the new folder, perhaps K.L. or Mel will respond and clarify this.

With respect to question 3. The two files you mentioned can be installed before you install GWX, but I'm not sure of the version numbers, so do not use them until you have tried a few games using the plain Silent Hunter 3. BTW, did you upgrade SH3 with the 1.4 upgrade? You must have that installed before you can go any further.

Now I'm sure other will follow with additional instructions, as I'm quite old and have a "feeble" mind, can't remember things correctly about the initial install, because it was so long ago.

You might want to wait for GWX 1.4, but I'm not sure of the release date.

Welcome aboard and HAPPY HUNTING!

Rob
robj250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-07, 08:21 AM   #217
danlisa
Navy Seal

Downloads: 45
Uploads: 1

@ Dirtyace

Welcome.

Install instructions (which may help)

1. Uninstall SH3 via Windows' "Add/Remove programs"
2. Open Windows Explorer and:
- *delete* the folder where you had installed SH3
- *delete* the \My Documents\SH3 folder
3. Reinstall SH3
4. If your SH3 did not come with patch v1.4b already included, install patch v1.4b. Ensure you install the patch that corresponds to your copy of SH3 (Download/DVD/EMEA/US)
5. OPTIONAL: Copy and paste this "clean" install as a backup to avoid the need to follow steps 1-3 if your game becomes corrupt in future
6. Download into the SAME folder GWX.exe and the five .bin files. While there grab the v1.03 patch
7. Run GWX.exe and follow the installation prompts
8. Run GWX103.exe and follow the installation prompts
9. SH3 COMMANDER USERS: Download the GWX 1.02+ Cfg files for SH3 Commander and unzip the contents DIRECTLY into your SH3 Commander\Cfg folder.

GWX files are available from my sig.

Answers =

1)For GWX 1.0 you need the GWX.exe & GWX 1 to 5 .bin files.
2)It's best to start fresh, we can never promise that previous profiles will continue to work.
3)Ok, get GWX working correctly first, then add additional mods/apps. SH3Cmdr will require the additional cfg files to make it compatible with GWX. SH3 Gen is a great little app and will work with no problems after GWX is up & running.

Personally, for a n00b to GWX, I would have said, just stick to GWX for the time being. Although SH3Cmdr & SH3Gen are easy to use, you are muddying the waters alittle for the first run.

Enjoy & come back if you have further questions.

EDIT - JSGME is included when you install GWX, just look for it in the program folder, double click on the JSGME.exe to open the GUI Window and have a look at the included additional mods for GWX.

BTW, have you read the GWX manual? Very good and most questions are answered in there.
Old 07-25-07, 08:43 AM   #218
robj250
Sea Lord

Thanks danlisa

You just made me look like a TOTAL FOOL and the fact that I didn't know anything! Thanks very much.

I still suggest that he gets his feet wet using the vanilla SH3 upgraded with 1.4.

I never had ANY problems using my career started in SH3 with GWX.

I won't bother trying to help anyone anymore. I'll let you Experts do all the answering.

But I agree with danlisa in that you should start a NEW career when you install GWX.

Rob

Last edited by robj250; 07-25-07 at 09:19 AM.
Old 07-25-07, 09:01 AM   #219
danlisa
Navy Seal

Downloads: 45
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj250
Thanks danlisa

You just made me look like a TOTAL FOOL and the fact that I didn't know anything! Thanks very much.

I still suggest that he gets his feet wet using the vanilla SH3 upgraded with 1.4.

I won't bother trying to help anyone anymore. I'll let you Experts do all the answering.

Rob
Nice attitude, Rob.

I agree, start with standard SH3, otherwise, you won't know what GWX has done.

Maybe I should stop trying to help people.
Old 07-25-07, 10:32 AM   #220
robj250
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlisa
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj250
Thanks danlisa

Rob
Nice attitude, Rob.

I agree, start with standard SH3, otherwise, you won't know what GWX has done.

Maybe I should stop trying to help people.
Sorry danlisa, but I was not totally wrong and I was kinda put out that I was not given some credit for what I did say and the fact that he should get used to SH3 before installing GWX. You are correct in that GWX has JSGME with it, I just totally forgot.

DirtyACE, danlisa is correct and I was not absolutely correct in my advice. Please forgive my silly mistake.

@danlisa
You know what you are doing and you are younger that me and do not have my problems, so KEEP helping people, please.

Rob
Old 07-25-07, 12:02 PM   #221
DirtyACE
Engineer

Guys, thank you very much for your advice and clearing up some things for me. I have spent some time on this forum lurking around reading about GWX and other things, so I do know in some ways what the mod is about but not everything. Here are some more questions:

1. Can you explain to me what exactly is the purpose of JSGME? Is this program needed to run GWX?

2. I was looking at the downloads for GWX and found some file called GWXsetup.exe. It's a large file (over 700mb). Is this the same mod as well?

3. I read in one thread on the Grey Wolves mod (GWX) that you should not upgrade your sub before the first patrol, only after you have come back from it. And there were a few other things mentioned that you should avoid doing because the game may crash. Does this advice still apply to the current version of the GWX?

4. I read in one of the threads that either the SH3Cmdr or SH3Gen allows you to fiddle around with your profile or even create a new one. Should I in that case create a new profile using one of these programs or should I still do it within the actual game?

I'm really eager to try the mods as I've read many great things about them, especially GWX. Any word on when the 1.4 version will be ready?

I'm also having some trouble sinking ships with torpedoes, that's why I'm doing the whole academy thing first. I did read the community manual recently which has explained many concepts, but I feel like it'll take me a good number of missions/patrols to get the hang of tracking/intercepting ships or convoys and then actually setting up an ambush. Do most of you guys play with the automatic targeting and solution calculations or do you do it manually?

Thanks again everyone for all your help. I really do appreciate it!
Old 07-25-07, 12:23 PM   #222
bigboywooly
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 35

Hi DirtyAce
JSGME is a mod installer and can be found here http://www.users.on.net/~jscones/software/products.html under the name Generic Mod Enabler
It comes with GWX also and with it you can install some of the GWX mods that come with the download
The bonus with JSGME is you can enable a mod in seconds and if its not to your taste you can disable it just as quick

As the 2 happy campers before me said - Stick with stock SH3 till you get the hang of it
Only then upgrade to GWX

Read the GWX manual

All GWX files can be found here

http://isaf.us/gwx/

I believe the GWXsetup you refer to is a one download instead of the 5 bins and exe
You will still need the 1.03 patch

If you get SH3commander you will also need the additional cfg for GWX\SH3commander

Play the game first then worry about upgrading
As you rightly say the forum is a mine of information

Welcome aboard and enjoy your stay

My mediafire page http://www.mediafire.com/?11eoq19bq9r41
bigboywooly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-07, 12:27 PM   #223
robj250
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyACE
Guys, thank you very much for your advice and clearing up some things for me. I have spent some time on this forum lurking around reading about GWX and other things, so I do know in some ways what the mod is about but not everything. Here are some more questions:

1. Can you explain to me what exactly is the purpose of JSGME? Is this program needed to run GWX?

2. I read in one of the threads that either the SH3Cmdr or SH3Gen allows you to fiddle around with your profile or even create a new one. Should I in that case create a new profile using one of these programs or should I still do it within the actual game?

I'm really eager to try the mods as I've read many great things about them, especially GWX. Any word on when the 1.4 version will be ready?

I'm also having some trouble sinking ships with torpedoes, that's why I'm doing the whole academy thing first. I did read the community manual recently which has explained many concepts, but I feel like it'll take me a good number of missions/patrols to get the hang of tracking/intercepting ships or convoys and then actually setting up an ambush. Do most of you guys play with the automatic targeting and solution calculations or do you do it manually?

Thanks again everyone for all your help. I really do appreciate it!
As bigboywooly said, JSGME is a mod that is installed inside the Silent Hunter Folder on your hard drive; but if you are going to start with GWX, you do not need to install it as GWX 1.3 installs JSGME. The purpose of JSGME is for you to install extra mods into Silent Hunter or GWX.

The Development Team will have an idea when GWX 1.4 will be ready.

With respect to sinking ship with torpedoes, I suggest you do the torpedo training a couple of times.

Remember that each ship has a different draft, and if you have the pistol set on magnetic, you have to set the depth at least 5 m deeper that the draft. The Recodnition Manual will have the draft for every ship listed.

I suggest you get used to sinking ships using the auto feature, but that is entirely up to you. If you are sending a salvo of torpedoes, you must set the degrees of the torpedo spread; I usually set mine at 1 degree.

Manual targetting is great once you get used to it. I suggest you try that in your academy as well. I am no good at manual targetting, but a lot of members use manual targetting, because you can have your torpedoes hit the most vulnerable places of each different ship.

You can set your options and difficulty to what you want. The difficulty can be changed each time you start a new mission if you wish.

Once you are notified of a convoy and you wish to intercept it, you will have to learn the procedures for interception. There is a good pictoral instruction to teach a person on how to set up an intercept point but I cannot remember the link for it, so I'm sure someone will answer your question on the. For myself, I take a snap of the positions of my sub and the convoy you wish to intercept (making sure they are on the same page) I then print it out and manually figure out where to intercept and how fast I need to go to reach the intercept under the conditions I prefer.

A little advice regarding sinking a destroyer, I use the magnetic pistol and the 5 m below the draft of the destroyer and I'm usually pretty lucky. However, in a convoy, it is usually best to let the lead destroyer (escort) get past and then setup your sinking of the merchants you wish to sink.

There is a thread for dealing with escorts, but again I cannot remember the link, but someone will be able to provide it. There are different advice in that thread, so read them and make your own decision.

Okay, guys, any further help you can give to DirtyAce would be greatly appreciated as I can only refer to my own preferences.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting.

Rob

Last edited by robj250; 07-25-07 at 01:27 PM.
Old 07-25-07, 03:18 PM   #224
DirtyACE
Engineer

Thanks again everyone!

I have updated the game to 1.4b and have downloaded the GWX v1.0 and also the 1.3 update patch and the manual for the mod. I've got the SH3Cmdr plus the additional needed files for making it work with GWX.

I've read several threads discussing how to intercept convoys and dealing with escorts. About how to get within the convoy. How to escape from escorts. There are also different methods or versions of intercepting which I haven't completely understood yet.

Would you say that 5km is a good distance to maintain between yourself and the convoy when you're trying to flank them but don't want to be detected?

Please post other advice if you feel that it will be helpful to a novice such as myself or anyone else.
Old 07-25-07, 05:49 PM   #225
TarJak
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 150
Uploads: 8

I tend to go out to 6-8km while overtaking or shadowing a convoy as some of the larger convoys have escorts that patrol out to 5km from the centre of the convoy.

Even in less than perfect conditions you can get relatively regular sightings and you can also use a higher TC to do the overtaking run.
TarJak is offline   Reply With Quote