SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-28-22, 09:08 AM   #1
Boarspear2061
Swabbie

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 0
Default Merchant & warship critical areas/systems diagrams?

Hallo all,

I have started on a GWX/OneAlex grand campaign after a long time away from the game, and have been trying to obey prize rules as best I can in the very early war so far. After warning shots, I've been trying to disable hostile merchants with the gun to drop their speed so that I could allow a notional half-hour or so for inspection/evacuation and then sink her with torps.

However, my series of gunshots to the boiler/engine rooms have repeatedly led to out-of-control fires on the merchant, leading to boiler explosions within minutes. I recall seeing a PDF on here showing critical damage locations for (I think) GWX ships years ago, and I think it's Jimbuna's old shipchart.pdf, but I can't find a good link for that anywhere.

Does anyone happen to have that or similar resources, and/or good targeting advice for damaging merchants enough to substantially slow them while minimizing the risk of catastrophic fires/explosions?

EDIT:
I had forgotten my other more general question: is there a good central location for SH3 resources these days a la the old Silent Hunter 3 Community Guide?

Last edited by Boarspear2061; 09-28-22 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Forgot part of question
Boarspear2061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-22, 09:28 AM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome back!

Boarspear2061! 'silentrunning' since 2015?!! the infamous seven-year-itch strikes again!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-22, 10:23 AM   #3
Boarspear2061
Swabbie

Downloads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
Boarspear2061! 'silentrunning' since 2015?!! the infamous seven-year-itch strikes again!
As inevitable as bad weather and aircraft!
Boarspear2061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-22, 11:30 AM   #4
Sorni
Nub

Downloads: 6

Hey there,

Sorry for the bump! I found these while looking for the exact same thing a week ago. Only vanilla, though. I've found mention of something similar for GWX, but have yet to find any...

https://steamcommunity.com/app/15210...0119896680683/
Sorni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-22, 11:51 AM   #5
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

Sorni!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-22, 11:53 AM   #6
Sorni
Nub

Downloads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
Sorni!
Sorni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-22, 07:12 AM   #7
Mister_M
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 26

Hello,

I think that the problem doesn't come from the area of the ship at which you're firing with the deck gun.

I'm pretty sure it comes from the damage system of the game itself, which should be completly modified to have something realistic (I mean something different than the ship exploding once it has no more "life points" ). The modifications have to be done in the following files :

- the global damage zones' settings : Zones.cfg
- the ships' damage settings : any_ship.zon (types of damage zones, placement of them in 3D, general settings, etc.)
- the shells/torpedoes' damage settings : torpedoes.zon & .sim, shells.zon & .sim (damage points, armor piercing level, etc.)

For more : https://kendras-sh3-modding.forumgam...ics-and-theory

Last edited by Mister_M; 12-28-22 at 07:21 AM.
Mister_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-22, 12:07 PM   #8
Anvar1061
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 843

fullvulnmod
It generates a fullvulnmod mod that shows vulnerable areas and rewards in a guide. Two languages, rendering for all ships that have vulnerable zones (even for ships from third-party mods), notification of errors in cfg files related to vulnerable zones, inscriptions in two languages, source codes included.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/pllq1...d_generator.7z
@Mister_M
What do you know about Kendras'? When was his last activity?

Last edited by Anvar1061; 12-28-22 at 12:21 PM.
Anvar1061 is online   Reply With Quote