SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-11-08, 08:53 PM   #1
Littlealx
Watch

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
Default Crew Skills, Bonuses, Damage control, and efficiency.

Hello again all,

the answers i seek seem to be few and far between in the training guide, i did have a look, but the damage control section there teaches how to prioritise repairs, not how to set your crew up.

Somehow this topic seems to have escaped the manual also

Anyway, the Crew and their skills have changed dramatically from SH3.

the basics i understand. If a crewmember has a "natural talent" for Guns, you train him in Guns, and you stick him on the gun deck

If a crewmember has a 'natural talent' for Command... you train him in command and stick him in the command room.

Sensors -----> Conning tower

Here's the parts that confuse me.

*Some blokes have a talent for "mechanical" What does that refer to? Engine's or repair?

*Some blokes have a talent for "electrical" Does that refer to Engines or repair?

*There Seems to be no "natural talent" for torpedoes, but there is one for guns. Does a natural talent of guns mean they're also good with torpedoes as well as the deck gun and AA? :hmm:

*Does a mechanical skill help in torpedo rooms?

*THEN these strange bonuses seem to come in after a while!? I can't find a list or any definition of what they actually do? One of my Engine room greasemonkeys has a trait that says " Increase Fanatical chance " ??!!

*About another bonus. One of my Chief Petty officers in the command room has a bonus called "reducde torpedo load time." The bonus's symbol is the command room wheel symbol. But one would think to help load torpedoes he may need to be in the torpedo room?! For this bonus to come into play, does he need to be in the command room or the torpedo room? (bearing in mind the symbol for the bonus is the command room wheel)

*And finally there's the damage control. I can fill that up with sailors trained in all things, yet the efficiency is never as good as it could be. What kind of skills do you need on the damage control team to make them effective?

Phew. I do appreciate that these are a lot of questions, if you know how to simply answer one or two that would be fantastic. I can't believe this is not covered in the manual, and although you could prove me wrong, i do not believe these things were covered in the sticky guide. If it's not, maybe we should include this in the sticky?

Anyway, thank you as always for the help fellow captains. We may cross paths on the sea. (But you won't see me )
Old 01-12-08, 02:50 AM   #2
Powerthighs
Beach Leaf

Downloads: 11

Each sailor contributes towards the efficiency of his compartment. The efficiency is calulated like this (I realize that Guns adds up to more than 100%, I have to double check these, but they are mostly right):

Forward/Stern torpedo room:
50% Mechanical and 50% Gun

Engine room:
60% Mechanical and 40% Electrical

Control room:
40% Mechanical, 20% Electrical and 40% Watch

Conning tower:
50% Electrical and 50% watch

Guns:
50% Mechanical, 50% Electrical, 20% Guns and 50% watch

Repair compartment:
40% Mechanical, 40% Electrical and 20% Gun

Also, When you promote a seaman to Petty Officer and give him a specialization, he gains 20 points in the skills related to the compartment in which he specializes.

Efficiency is given a bonus by the leader of the watch in that department, as well as the chief officer on watch in the command room.
Powerthighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-08, 08:16 PM   #3
Littlealx
Watch

Downloads: 3

Thanks very much

So basically now to have a good efficiency in a compartment you need to have multiple skills in there. Makes sense now, couldn't figure it out before. How did you figure this??
Old 01-12-08, 09:33 PM   #4
Powerthighs
Beach Leaf

The info came from a post originally on the UBI forums, but if you add one guy to an empty compartment when you are in port you will see that the numbers work out.
Old 01-12-08, 10:26 PM   #5
M. Sarsfield
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 0

Do the little vertical green efficiency bars for each compartment provide a visual reference for the numbers you listed?
www.ussbatfish.com

Communism killed over 100M people and all that I got was this lousy signature.*

*http://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/COM.ART.HTM
M. Sarsfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-08, 03:09 AM   #6
Powerthighs
Beach Leaf

Yes. If you hover the mouse cursor over the green bar it will tell you the current efficiency of the compartment, up to a max of 1.

In a compartment of 4 people, each person will contribute up to a max of .25. 5 people has a max contribution of .2 apiece, etc.
Old 07-27-22, 01:25 PM   #7
Rob Jacobsen
Mate

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerthighs View Post
Each sailor contributes towards the efficiency of his compartment. The efficiency is calulated like this (I realize that Guns adds up to more than 100%, I have to double check these, but they are mostly right):
Thank you for taking the time to share this!
Rob Jacobsen is offline   Reply With Quote