Hey Rconch I remember you from the Sh2 days

Glad to see you back mate
Old 11-23-07, 05:18 PM   #227
RConch
Captain

Downloads: 503
Uploads: 0

Thanks! This looked to good to pass up.
So this looks like a tough sim-anyone finish the first campaign?
Do you start out with a pariffin burner?
Old 04-18-16, 04:18 PM   #228
Nanon
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 1

First let me say Hello to all, cause it's my first post here.
I read all this topic, but I've got a question. After reading Max Valentiner and other U-Boot commanders memories I know that deck gun was primary weapon for WW1 U-Boote. In his book Valentiner wrote, that they put about 300 shells for 88mm deck gun on the ship. And my question is: is it possible to change amount of shells in game? I remember the speed of the U-boot can be changed in shipdata file. But how to increase the ammo? Any idea?
Nanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-16, 05:09 PM   #229
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Nanon!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-16, 05:36 AM   #230
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Welcome to SubSim Nanon

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-16, 08:41 PM   #231
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Was there ever a save game feature modded into the game? I have Kurs West but stopped playing as the patrol time was just too long. I can't sit for four hours to complete a patrol.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-16, 05:20 PM   #232
Deamon
Commodore

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
Was there ever a save game feature modded into the game?
AFAIK, no.
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-20, 05:43 PM   #233
WWII44
Navy Dude

Downloads: 151

Terribly sorry for a necro-post but the link is very dead.
WWII44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-20, 10:08 PM   #234
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back!

WWII44! after a long silent run!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-20, 07:38 AM   #235
Vox165
Soundman

Downloads: 141

Last weekend I installed SOF. After seeing this post, I remembered I had a disk sitting on a shelf gathering dust. When I first tried the sim it ran poorly on my XP machine so I shelved it. This time I installed it on a Win 7/64bit build with a nVidia GTX 1660, and it runs smoothly at 1980x1080 using XP sp2 compatibility settings.

I 'm having fun playing the default game. The game has its ups and downs but is pretty good overall. WWI u-boats have some Interesting history to explore with new challenges. The WWI era u-boats required me to adjust my approach and mindset , and is different from what I use for SH3/SH4 . Im trying to find first hand accounts and apply their techniques to the game. Im interested in manual targeting.

I plan to stay with the default game and then try some of the game's mods from Subsim. I've read through most of the older posts . If anyone has tactical tips, thoughts etc on SOF I'd really like hear about them.
Vox165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-20, 04:42 PM   #236
Vox165
Soundman

The mod “U-Boot Kurs West” is well done and really improves the game. I esp liked the new German crew voices and better weather and sea..

I like the challenge of manual targeting and simulating some of the challenges faced by a WWI U-boat commander.. So I made a few mods/tools for that purpose. My goal is to find the targeting parameters (heading, range, speed etc..) myself and maneuver to a firing position

I needed to make a compass on the button bar that I could read bearings from. Also needed a reticle for the binoculars and periscope, and Torp Winkel (deflection angle) dial . Another goal is to reduce the targeting Info/parameters displayed automatically by the game and change or eliminate the map target icons altogether.

Mods made from Strategy-First version on 1920x1080 monitor.
Is anyone still interested in SOF? Should I keep working/posting these mods?

RE: Screenshot_1. The periscope needed a new reticle to approximately measure height and length of a target, give an idea of bearing changes, speed etc..

A method of estimating deflection angle from the periscope is desired too. On the periscope station panel itself, the torp Winkel’s dial graduations needed to be made clearer, and calibrated +/- 90 degrees .

I think knowing the exposure/height of the periscope is critical in this sim so I added a number scale to help track how far it was extended.

RE: Screenshot_2 Surfaced night attack using new binocular reticle-Uzo-like: I've been spotted by the enemy as it crosses the wire. It looks too late for him.
Old 09-16-20, 08:07 PM   #237
dsawan
Torpedoman

Downloads: 66

Hi, just got the game didgital. I say yes please post any mod info for this sim.
dsawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-20, 11:12 PM   #238
VFC_Baxter
Sailor man

Downloads: 7

Hi Vox. Yes I am still interested in this game a.nd any mods you do for it would be most appreciated.
VFC_Baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-20, 07:33 AM   #239
Vox165
Soundman

Icon14

Great, I'll try and package these mods in a zip this weekend so others can test and give me feedback.

So far,after some testing, the binocular and periscope reticles work well with the compass on the button bar and one in the (F2) control room. The binoculars are very helpful now for collecting targeting data at long range (> 5000m). They also help keep the range while overhauling slower targets and surface attacks. I tried calibrating at mils at 1000m similar to the rifle i use for hunting, but more later on this later.

The torp Winkel dial graduation are still too tiny but are at least clearer and calibrated to +/- full 90 degrees. In the game I'm getting +/- 3 degrees error but this could vary by player monitor. But does seem more realistic now. Vox
Old 09-20-20, 10:01 AM   #240
Vox165
Soundman

Ok, I mounted 3 mod files on google drive; Periscope, Compass, and Binoculars here;

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KD3...ew?usp=sharing

If you try these mods please comment and tell me what you think so I know Im on the right track.
These mods were made from the Strategy-First version of SOF. by using a 1920x1080 resolution. I tested at 1024X768 looked OK, but the reticles were a little blurry as I expected.