Old 07-12-19, 09:46 AM   #646
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Downloads: 62
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post
12 July 1944
The fighting continues for a few more days, but neither side makes any more serious attempts. The Battle of Äyräpää-Vuosalmi comes to an end, and with it the Soviet offensive on the Karelian Isthmus.
It's hard to believe that Finland was able to stop a full Soviet offensive with the few units it had.
Old 07-12-19, 09:58 AM   #647
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
It's hard to believe that Finland was able to stop a full Soviet offensive with the few units it had.
To be fair, Berlin was becoming the primary objective at this point, so forces were transferred there from the Karelian Isthmus, especially after it was becoming clear that the Finnish lines would not break as easily as planned. The Red Army was given 8 days after the fall of Viipuri on 20 June to reach the 1940 border.

That being said, it was close. What kinda irritates me is that in Finland everyone speaks about the 'Miracle of the Winter War', but the defensive victories in Tali-Ihantala, Siiranmäki and Vuosalmi on the Isthmus are often overlooked.

Artillery played a huge role, considering how little we had. But the system developed allowed for the FO to give simple corrections (200 left for example) and multiple batteries would do the calculations on their end, and could fire to very small areas with all their guns in a couple of minutes.

But, the war is not yet over.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-19, 05:11 AM   #648
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Quote:
the war is not yet over.
Yep part three is yet to come, I take it Dowly the Lapland War will be in a new thread?

Well done mate for your hard work.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-19, 01:42 PM   #649
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post
Yep part three is yet to come, I take it Dowly the Lapland War will be in a new thread?
I haven't decided yet. There are lots of things going on with regards to the Continuation War as the Lapland War is on, so might just keep it all here.

13 July 1944

21st Brigade withdraws from Porajärvi in Ladoga Karelia.

Finnish daily losses: 306

One of Lagus' StuGs in Vuosalmi.

14 July 1944

Flight Regiment 4 begins a four-day operation bombing enemy troop concentrations in Äyräpää area.

Marshal Mannerheim visits HQ of the Isthmus Forces and gives his thanks to the troops.

Soviet Ambassador Aleksandra Kollontai informs that if Finland is willing to propose peace talks, the Soviet Union is listening.

Finnish daily losses: 184

Destroyed KV at Ihantala.
Old 07-15-19, 07:40 AM   #650
STEED
Lucky Jack

Quote:
I haven't decided yet. There are lots of things going on with regards to the Continuation War as the Lapland War is on, so might just keep it all here.
Just put it up in bold letter when it starts. Looking at Germany's allies I am of the opinion out of the main allies Finland put up a dam good fight and were not stupid like some of the other allies that were bloody millstone's around Germany's kneck.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 07-15-19, 12:39 PM   #651
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post
Just put it up in bold letter when it starts.
Not until September.

15 July 1944

Soviet offensive to break the U-line begins in 5th Division's sector.

Major Siitonen's I/IR44 lost it's positions quickly in the beginning of the battle. First the "Maksimoff" line was broken and by noon the "ridgeline" positions of III/IR44 were overrun northwest of Nietjärvi. The enemy continued to advance north towards Maalammenmäki and west to widen the breach.
5th Division artillery played an important role in containing the breach. The division had 11 Artillery Battalions at its disposal along with coastal guns in the area. Various artillery pieces fired a total of 20,000 rounds during the day, more than had been fired at Tali-Ihantala in any given day.
Major General Martola's VI AK reinforced the 5th Division with two battalions from 15th Brigade (15.Pr). Major Väänänen's IV/15.Pr was immediately given orders to attack to the shore of Nietjärvi from northeast to prevent the enemy from widening the breakthrough to the east. Captain Kujari's I/15.Pr was to attack against the enemy west of Teirisuo and throw them back. Together with Major Pokkanen's II/IR45, the enemy at Teirisuo was pushed back during the evening and the following night.

Finnish daily losses: 299

Soviet POW showcases his body armor. (Syskyjärvi)

Last edited by Dowly; 07-17-19 at 05:28 AM.
Old 07-17-19, 05:34 AM   #652
Dowly
Lucky Jack

16 July 1944

The bulge in Nietjärvi area caused by the enemy breakthrough is contained and encircled. During the day and following night, Soviet regiments fight themselves out of the encirclement or are destroyed nearly to the last man.

Soviet bombers sink the German anti-aircraft cruiser Niobe in Kotka harbor thinking it was the Finnish Coastal Ship Väinämöinen.

Finnish daily losses: 323

Machine gun position in Suojärvi area.

17 July 1944

One of Detachment Vehniäinen's long-range patrols on the Isthmus report that empty trains are heading towards the front. This is the first sign to the Finns that the offensive has stopped.

Fighting starts in the Lemetti-Suojärvi area, as Soviet forces try to breach the U-line there.

Finnish daily losses: 346
Old 07-17-19, 06:53 AM   #653
STEED
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Not until September.

I can wait.

Old 07-18-19, 08:16 AM   #654
Dowly
Lucky Jack

18 July 1944

Aunus Group is disbanded and its forces are transferred under VI Army Corps.

Fortification works begin on the Isthmus to prepare fall back positions in case of a renewed Soviet offensive. Work on the Salpa-line also continues.

Finnish and German planes hit Soviet positions on both sides of River Vuoksi in Äyräpää and Vuosalmi.

Finnish daily losses: 134

Colonel Hanste (IR12) at his command post. (Ihantala)

U-line trenches at Lemetti.
Old 07-19-19, 05:56 AM   #655
Dowly
Lucky Jack

19 July 1944

Finnish 1st Division's counter-attacks fail in lake Vegarusjärvi area to the north of the U-line.

Finnish daily losses: 94

Private Pihlajamaa stands before a drumhead court-martial. He is sentenced to death for deserting three times. (15th Brigade/Nietjärvi)

Private Pihlajamaa moments before being executed by a firing squad.
Old 07-19-19, 08:42 AM   #656
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Three times?

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-19, 08:59 AM   #657
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Three times?
Yep. The caption doesn't offer any more details other than he had served a 2,5 year solitary confinement sentence before to this for desertion.

His records, however, have been digitized, so from those I can see he first was sentenced for desertion on 29 October 1941, next was on 3 March 1942. His last desertion was on 9 July 1944 and was sentenced to death ten days later on 19 July He was 28yo and got married during the interim peace, they had one child.
Old 07-20-19, 09:25 AM   #658
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

I guess he was set in his ways then.

Old 07-21-19, 02:12 AM   #659
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Downloads: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
I guess he was set in his ways then.
Depends. The question is if he deserted willingly with the intention to leave his comrades behind or whether he just couldn't take it anymore and snapped in combat (like the engineer in Das Boot). If it's the latter then he's just another victim of the war and not really a criminal in my books.
Old 07-21-19, 05:26 AM   #660
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
Depends. The question is if he deserted willingly with the intention to leave his comrades behind or whether he just couldn't take it anymore and snapped in combat (like the engineer in Das Boot). If it's the latter then he's just another victim of the war and not really a criminal in my books.
It would be interesting to know the facts behind each incident if they were recorded at the time (in written form).

Tags
continuation war, jatkosota