SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-04-20, 05:43 AM   #1
Wrongway Malcolm
Swabbie

Downloads: 94
Uploads: 0
Default The green circle in FOTRS Ultimate

I'm relatively new to the forum, and have "lurked" until this post. I understand lurking is usually frowned upon in active forums, but submarines are supposed to lurk, right? With this question, I surface in daylight...

(I ran a search to find an answer for my question, but didn't spot anything. I hope that's not my being new to the forum.)

OEM SH4 - and the first FOTRS, to my recollection - had a problem in specifying the area you needed to stay in during an assigned patrol. Old advise was to use the compass and draw a circle of 47 or 48nm, and stay inside that for the assigned time, because if you went outside a 50nm circle the patrol clock would reset. If you didn't stay inside the 50nm radius you might never finish your patrol. But 50nm is a small circle.

I've done a few patrols with FOTRS Ultimate, and have noticed when assigned a patrol, there is now a big green circle (about 100nm, I thnk?) around the star that designates the center of the patrol area.

My question is, what does the green circle represent? Is that the boundary of the patrol area in FOTRS Ultimate (in other words, does FOTRS Ultimate expand the patrol area from a radius of 50nm to 100nm), or is it just a big green graphic circle?

I ask because there are usually juicy ports and shipping lanes that are within the green circle but outside the 47nm circle I'm still drawing with the compass. I'd love to spend time in the shipping lanes in those 5 days, but orders are orders...
Wrongway Malcolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-20, 11:58 AM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

In FotRSU, you can generally use the green circle as your compass-drawn territory limit designator. ie: stay inside the green circle and you are within the boundaries of the patrol zone. Most are highly accurate. Some are rather loose, so stay away from the immediate are of the "edge" of the circle. With the "Sink" missions, where you are told to proceed immediately to a certain location, and once you are in the area, you receive a message to Sink Enemy Shipping, that can be done anywhere on the NavMap that you can find enemy shipping to sink. You will generally not see a green circle in those cases. If you have a SpecOps mission and you have a green circle, those are generally much smaller, on the order of maybe a couple-three nm across, which is the active area for the SpecOp. Not all SpecOps will have a green circle though, in which case you try to get as close to the "Star" as you dare, in order to perform the assignment. You might also be assigned one of those in conjunction with a "Patrol" objective that has its own larger green circle, and you might also encounter missions with "hidden" objectives that are revealed as you progress through the first objective assigned. Generally speaking though, if you see a green circle, that is your assigned area of operations for the given task and / or time frame.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-20, 12:14 PM   #3
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > Wrongway Malcom
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
SH3 – 4 - 5 Tutorials > Downloads > Other Useful Information > See Links in My Signature Below

The green circle is a nice addition to the game

THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-20, 12:20 PM   #4
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

WrongwayMalcomb!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-20, 12:48 PM   #5
Mork_417
Lieutenant Commander

Downloads: 263

Default Welcome aboard!

WrongwayMalcomb

Yes, I like the addition of the green circle, and the new map tags.
Old 01-05-20, 04:22 AM   #6
Wrongway Malcolm
Swabbie

Downloads: 94

Thanks Propbeanie for your answer. That was exactly what I wanted to know. It will change my search patterns in the future. All else, thanks for the welcome.
Wrongway Malcolm is offline   Reply With Quote