SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-05-19, 08:06 PM   #1
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Default Mysteries off Midway

Mystery 1 - an enemy TF of unique composition and formation: 1x DD in the vanguard, followed in line by a Takao CA 2 km or so behind, with a Maya CA the same distance behind in line, followed by a Maya and a Takao equally far behind but spread to either side with a 2 km separation between them. I've never encountered a virtually CA-only formation nor one of this layout.

Mystery 2 - This TF was intercepted on 6/15/42 1000 km SW of Midway, on course for the island.

Mystery 3 - There are undetected CV TFs somewhere in the vicinity based on the tremendous amount of air activity. Of every fifteen minutes, it seems that I spent five minutes submerged to avoid detection. I'm heading in the general direction of their launch point, though it's hard to say because some come in at odd angles, often even perpendicular. Most of these are carrier aircraft but there are Bettys mixed in too, very odd so far out in the trackless wastes of the Pacific.

Curious, I've tried using saves to close with them but haven't succeeded over a couple of days per attempt.

If it related to the so-called Tragic Battle, the CA formation is evocative of CruDiv8's abortive lunge at the island, but the date throws off the obvious assumption, unless the game is very seriously confused.

Any explanations or suggestions for finding the carriers? The CA TF isn't a concern; their fate foreshadowed the Battle of the Palawan Passage.
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-19, 08:58 PM   #2
jimmbbo
Run silent, run deep

Downloads: 59

I had a similar experience trying to track down the IJN task forces and after a half dozen saves and restart after initial contact, moved on to less frustrating and more lucrative pursuits.
jimmbbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-19, 11:03 PM   #3
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38

Was your encounter well after the real battle? Mine was 11 days afterward.
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-19, 12:23 PM   #4
jimmbbo
Run silent, run deep

Downloads: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mios 4Me View Post
Was your encounter well after the real battle? Mine was 11 days afterward.

Unsure of the exact date as I tranisted to the area several days early to try to find the TFs to the NW of Midway... IIRC I ended up encountering several DDs and convoy targets to the west (the Second Fleet?).

Perhaps one of the SH4 gurus can shed some light on how the AI manages major battles with respect to their historical accuracy...
jimmbbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-19, 02:24 PM   #5
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Not a guru answer, but in response to "can shed some light on how the AI manages major battles with respect to their historical accuracy", even the undocumented and uncontested king of RGG timing, lurker_hlb3, could not bend the game 100% to his will. It would ~still~ whack-out on him for unknown and unforseen reasons known only to the AI. Even the game engine was unaware of what the AI was up to... Besides the fact that the game will not spawn planes in response to planes, nor do dogfights... but alas, I digress. The game doesn't do too bad as a subsim (while you're underwater with your scope down - so long as you stay in your seat), but get much more than that, and its age and technology really show their skivvies and hinder parts...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-19, 02:35 PM   #6
skirich
Chief

Downloads: 75
Icon14

I could imagine how a modern version of SH4 would play and the amount of immersion you could get with todays modern game engines and AI coding.
I hope something like the indy wolfpack turns full scale and codes an American pacific version as well while keeping the sub simulation high on the list.
skirich is offline   Reply With Quote