SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-11-22, 10:03 PM   #1
tom2189
Sailor man

Downloads: 111
Uploads: 0
Default Coastal Guns

I wonder, why i dont often see a japanese coast guns in game, do you know a mod that have coastal defence near Japanese bases, occupied ports, etc. ?

Or do you know a file that can be modified? and i will add them myself on a map.

Last edited by tom2189; 09-12-22 at 01:01 PM.
tom2189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-22, 11:43 PM   #2
quickening58
Watch

Downloads: 18
Default Shore batteries....

I'v seen and felt the shore batteries bite....it was a shocking surprise for sure.....and an excellent beginners story
It was a wet and stormy night as we patrolled outside of Bungo Suido. Finally,with nothing coming out of the Bungo, we headed in at 8-9knots, cause we saw occasional radar returns up inside.
Kinda figured they were fishing boats.....but we had plenty of time to egress back out in deep water by sunrise. The rain and wind helped the trip in,too.
Long story short, after sinking a small lonely tramper, then getting involved with chasing down one of many singles we had on radar, we found out our planned 12-14kt egress wasn't going to cut it, broke off the chase and started romping out of there out at 19-21kts Obviously didn't need to charge the batteries Passing the island guarding the entrance to the inner sanctum.....and damn if we weren't taking fire AND getting hit!! Still wet and windy---low viz, but I guess they could see our rooster tail Sure didn't see those batteries on the way in. Alot of zig zagging and off course turns,we made it out ok Spent extra time on the surface attending to some damage when we got out.
Later...found a small convoy to play with and got Dc'd pretty good. Found out shortly afterwards with another convoy encounter, that you don't stay at 300ft for very long with 48% hull damage. Didn't make it home Its been an enlightening learning curve
quickening58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-22, 12:30 AM   #3
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

quickening58!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-22, 12:55 AM   #4
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

radar Re: Welcome aboard...

quickening58!
Old 09-12-22, 08:43 AM   #5
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom2189 View Post
I wonder, why i dont often see a japanese coast guns in game, do you know a mod that have coastal defence near Japanese bases, occupied ports, etc. ?

Or do you know a file that can be modified? and i will add them myself on a map.
tom,

not entirely sure about a coastal-defense-gun mod's existence.
suffice it to say that each gun must be placed by hand using the Mission Editor(ME).
if you wish to take that on as a project, create a \Data\Campaigns\Campaign\CoastalBatteries_tom2189. mis file and then open it with the ME and start placing guns.
when you want to see it in action, re-post and we can go through the process at that time as there is no reason to complicate things before you start out.

good luck.

p.s. have you worked with the ME previously?

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-22, 10:06 AM   #6
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:

Depends on the mod. Stock not that many guns overall. In TMO update, I added many in appropriate places, especially ports.

They are not always easy for lookouts to spot, often times first indication of a shore battery are shell splashes. Best to assume if within 10000-11000(11000 yards is longest range i've been fired at by shore battery, depends on type of gun) yards of shore, they have shore batteries.

As KM mentioned, they have to be placed by hand in the ME, which can get quite monotonous and time consuming.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-22, 10:38 AM   #7
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
Depends on the mod. Stock not that many guns overall. In TMO update, I added many in appropriate places, especially ports.

They are not always easy for lookouts to spot, often times first indication of a shore battery are shell splashes. Best to assume if within 10000-11000(11000 yards is longest range i've been fired at by shore battery, depends on type of gun) yards of shore, they have shore batteries.

As KM mentioned, they have to be placed by hand in the ME, which can get quite monotonous and time consuming.
my previous post-answer to Tom addressed presence and placement only, using the ME.

detection and attack variables for the coastal batteries are stored in files outside of the dotMIS file and will affect all weapons of the same type that are used in SH4.

LAA enabled
Old 09-12-22, 01:04 PM   #8
tom2189
Sailor man

No i didn't work with ME, i guess, what is ME? I am quick learner tho... Also if anyone can send me that file from TMO with coastal defence placed, would be appreciated. Cause i have a slow laptop, and only version it's supports is stock. Also any example how to "write code" in ME to place guns would be appreciated �� i will make mod myself for a stock game
Old 09-12-22, 01:13 PM   #9
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
No i didn't work with ME, i guess, what is ME? I am quick learner tho... Also if anyone can send me that file from TMO with coastal defence placed, would be appreciated. Cause i have a slow laptop, and only version it's supports is stock. Also any example how to "write code" in ME to place guns would be appreciated �� i will make mod myself for a stock game
the ME is the Mission Editor which comes with SH4 1.5-Uboat missions.
it resides in the main SH4 folder.

there is a bit of documentation in the Downloads forum but it is from SH3, mostly, and sometimes it is not as helpful as it might be.
basically, you should read what there is and dive into it.
since you are using a new file, you cannot screw anything up.

there is no code writing for ME...it is a manual process: place one gun at one location at one time.

LAA enabled
Old 09-12-22, 04:10 PM   #10
tom2189
Sailor man

I opened an editor, found a Campaign folder and opened some stuff to explore. Few things i dont understand:
First - In each file, for example "Insertion Commando", when it objective activates, is it merge with somehow an "Base" map of where all Bases, Patrols, or other stuff is?

Second - where is this "base" map is? and by the way, i dont see any of coastal bases and docks on a map

Third - i can create an new map with all coastal defences, but i dont see any dock to orient where to place and coastal gun, and i dont know on what date each island is under Japanese control...

P.S. Sorry for bad english, not my native language
Old 09-12-22, 06:24 PM   #11
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
I opened an editor, found a Campaign folder and opened some stuff to explore. Few things i dont understand:
First - In each file, for example "Insertion Commando", when it objective activates, is it merge with somehow an "Base" map of where all Bases, Patrols, or other stuff is?

Second - where is this "base" map is? and by the way, i dont see any of coastal bases and docks on a map

Third - i can create an new map with all coastal defences, but i dont see any dock to orient where to place and coastal gun, and i dont know on what date each island is under Japanese control...

P.S. Sorry for bad english, not my native language
your english is just fine, Tom, but your experience is not so fine.

you need some time playing the game and getting familiar with things, in general. my suggestion is that you play Stock for a while and get the feel of things before you begin a project like you have suggested because to do what you want to do requires it.

my apologies if you are offended. it was not intended to be that.

go sink some ships, Herr Kaleun.

LAA enabled
Old 09-12-22, 09:09 PM   #12
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Before you guys go re-inventing the wheel:
Stock game

\SH4Stock \Campaigns \Campaign \Jap_CoastalBattery.mis

-and-

\SH4Stock \Campaigns \CampaignGE \CampaignData \Allies_CoastalBattery.mis

You can definitely tell that they were "in a rush" to get v1.5 out, since there are not very many guns placed, and none around Australia...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-22, 10:24 PM   #13
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Stock game

You can definitely tell that they were "in a rush" to get v1.5 out, since there are not very many guns placed, and none around Australia...
i'm not rushing into anything...especially if it makes the task more dangerous.
even in Stock you have to get through the mine fields and subnets before coastal batteries get a shot at you, please forgive my hyperbole.

no, i was describing to the young padawan how he can add to the misery.
i never recommended that he proceed.

i suggested that he go sink some ships first, but you know these young padawans.

LAA enabled
Old 09-13-22, 06:13 PM   #14
tom2189
Sailor man

Icon2

Friend, my experience is ok, all i wanted is some sort of extra danger, like an ambush from the coast. Isn't it's far from true that Japanese have placed hidden guns and observation posts on islands of Pacific? I want some extra experience on a boring travel from point A to point B. Even aviation don't harass me as much as i expect...

To the point: After i've posted my last message, i've discovered that Coastal Guns file (was not so attentive)

The question is that i can't "Validate" it, cause it says that i need to place a waypoint for each gun i've placed (sic!).

I've done it, but its says that i need to place each waypoint not closer than 1000 yards or meters, i"ve drag each, but again editor doesn't allow me to save my file cause validation fails anyway.

Don't know what to do!

I'll try add only one gun and one waypoint to it and will try to validate it again to see what i can do.

Any good advices is appreciated.

Edit: I've opened this file and tried o validate it, it's failed and even not edited file cant be saved!!! What to do?

It says: "Error found when validating mission. Please see the mission validation window and solve them before saving"

I've ran a check of unmodified file and it says there is a problem with waypoints, strange things
Old 09-13-22, 06:23 PM   #15
tom2189
Sailor man

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Stock game

\SH4Stock \Campaigns \Campaign \Jap_CoastalBattery.mis

-and-

\SH4Stock \Campaigns \CampaignGE \CampaignData \Allies_CoastalBattery.mis

Thanks for the support