SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-09-07, 02:52 PM   #61
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
You fell in love with Aces of the Deep. Your playing style is relaxed, more for fun than historical accuracy. You always play Sub Command or Dangerous Waters from the NavMap (rightclick is your friend), if you ever ventured to play them at all. Probably you prefer WWII subsims like Silent Hunter 3, SH4 and Aces. You may try the manual TDC, but you prefer to leave the auto map contacts on, (blank maps scare you). Even though you know submarine skippers missed targets occasionally in real life, you cannot resist reloading a mission to take another shot at a 10,000-tonne troopship that got away. One ship, one torpedo, finished off with the deck gun--that's the creed you live by.

The answer seems to forget that after reading it I'm now in the need of a good psychiater. I seem to be paranoic
Old 04-09-07, 03:03 PM   #62
EinsteinEP
Watch

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 0

I got the same "You fell in love with Aces of the Deep" appraisal. Don't know if I need to cry now, or find out what the heck it means by "right click" on the nav map. You can do that?

And I *love* manual TDC! Blank maps do scare me, though. "Here there be monsters!"
EinsteinEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-07, 03:05 PM   #63
dean_acheson
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 42

ACTION-ORIENTED SUBSIM SKIPPER
Oh hell, who are we kidding? Working TMA in Dangerous Waters is as exciting as watching paint dry. You want no part of it, and rightfully so, you are a man of action, the reason games with good graphics sell. You may try a hand at Silent Hunter 4 but only with fast reloads and never dud torpedoes. Who says you cannot sink a whole convoy and never drop below 16x time compression? And manual TDC? Are they crazy? If you wanted to work trig problems, you could do that in school. No, you like fast-paced games like Battlestations: Midway and Steel Tide. Blow stuff up real good! Zoom! Blam! Full speed ahead--look, a kitty!

not exactly, but kinda close. I do like to surface and try the deck guns out more often than most..... of course, I was a bit flippant in my answers.
dean_acheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-07, 03:06 PM   #64
Shipwreck
Loader

Downloads: 8

I'm in good company, Very cool.

SW
Shipwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-07, 03:17 PM   #65
JFL1
Sailor man

Downloads: 2

HARDCORE here too!!!

Fun quizz...
JFL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-07, 03:22 PM   #66
lesrae
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 31

:O)

HARDCORE SUBSIM SKIPPER
No doubt about it, you are hardcore. You are the kind of subsim player who pins up the Kriegsmarine gridmap on your wall, you use a redlamp when playing at night, your wife lets you know her mother is visiting by shouting "Alarm!" and you didn't know--or care--that Silent Hunter III has a save game feature. You cut your teeth plotting attacks in Gato, sank 28,000 tons in your first Aces of the Deep patrol, and played Dangerous Waters at 100% realism. You scoff at wannabes who whine about some niggling detail in a subsim but use the red triangle-infested auto TDC and auto-map updates. You never, ever, use anything but full realism.
You are the "sim" in Subsim.
Old 04-09-07, 03:25 PM   #67
FesterShinetop
Gunner

Downloads: 1

CASUAL SUBSIM SKIPPER

You fell in love with Aces of the Deep. Your playing style is relaxed, more for fun than historical accuracy. You always play Sub Command or Dangerous Waters from the NavMap (rightclick is your friend), if you ever ventured to play them at all. Probably you prefer WWII subsims like Silent Hunter 3, SH4 and Aces. You may try the manual TDC, but you prefer to leave the auto map contacts on, (blank maps scare you). Even though you know submarine skippers missed targets occasionally in real life, you cannot resist reloading a mission to take another shot at a 10,000-tonne troopship that got away. One ship, one torpedo, finished off with the deck gun--that's the creed you live by.

Hehehe, pretty close...
FesterShinetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-07, 03:32 PM   #68
The General
The Old Man

Downloads: 179
Uploads: 3

Apparently I'm a "Lilly-Livered Land-Lubber!"

Damn that was a funny quiz!

:rotfl:
Old 04-09-07, 03:35 PM   #69
stabiz
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 14

Old 04-09-07, 03:40 PM   #70
Von Hinten
Commander

Downloads: 54

"You are the "sim" in Subsim."

So what's wrong with pinning the map to the wall and an occasional red light every now and then? :hmm:

By the way Neal, what's your score?

Von Hinten
UC3 Nautilus' engineer for 45 minutes!
Von Hinten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-07, 03:43 PM   #71
dcb
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 544

"ROLE-PLAYING SUBSIM SKIPPER Your taste in sub and naval games runs the gamut from Grey Wolf to Silent Hunter 4. You have tried them all, at varying realism options. Your a lit-tle old-er than the typical subsim skipper, and probably remember using a tape cassette player to load programs onto your Radio Shack TRS-80. Your primary joy is using your imagination to put yourself into the game. You are able to overlook little details like the crew appearing instantly on the bridge, or wonky AI: to you, these are easily worked into the story as a crew who are really light on their feet, and frigates that have green skippers. The game platform gets you halfway there, your imagination does the rest. You spend lots of time setting up your crew management so it's just right and may even talk to them. You relish managing support and logistics in games like Pacific Storm, Navy Field, and Silent War."

I'd say it's 80% true. Some doubts about the support management and logistics at the end, but otherwise it's pretty accurate. Congrats' for the quiz! I had fun while solving it.

dcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-07, 03:59 PM   #72
Calbeck
Sailor man

Downloads: 31

Casual Skipper.

Thing is, bits from ALL the descriptions work for me. I did in fact bust my subbing chops on GATO, where I fell in love with the antique vagaries of the S-class. I still have the original Silent Hunter on my drive, kept expressly because cramped-up North Atlantic U-boat campaigns just don't hold a candle to roaming the wide Pacific. I owned and mostly enjoyed 688 Attack Sub, even.

But yeah, I also loves my map contacts, which I've always considered to merely be the work of a quality XO. I don't work the TDC, so much as I get in close and throw in a little "Kentucky Windage" to fob the shot. I like to stare destroyers in the eyeteeth before lobbing off a stern shot and diving for the bottom on a hard-over rudder.

Had I been a real boat CO in WWII, you betcha I'd've been relieved after the first patrol as a reckless nutter --- assuming we lived to get back. Of course, if we got back, it'd be with at least 25K in confirmed tonnage...-
Calbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-07, 03:59 PM   #73
Grothesj2
Medic

Downloads: 0

ROLE-PLAYING SUBSIM SKIPPER
Your taste in sub and naval games runs the gamut from Grey Wolf to Silent Hunter 4. You have tried them all, at varying realism options. Your a lit-tle old-er than the typical subsim skipper, and probably remember using a tape cassette player to load programs onto your Radio Shack TRS-80. Your primary joy is using your imagination to put yourself into the game. You are able to overlook little details like the crew appearing instantly on the bridge, or wonky AI: to you, these are easily worked into the story as a crew who are really light on their feet, and frigates that have green skippers. The game platform gets you halfway there, your imagination does the rest. You spend lots of time setting up your crew management so it's just right and may even talk to them. You relish managing support and logistics in games like Pacific Storm, Navy Field, and Silent War.
Grothesj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-07, 04:03 PM   #74
UBootMann
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

" Hard Core" all the way. Knows me only too well
Old 04-09-07, 04:19 PM   #75
P_Funk
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 128

Hardcore. Even though I buggered up my solution last night. That tramp steamer can suck on my acoustic homer.:p

P_Funk is offline   Reply With Quote