SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-28-19, 06:07 PM   #1
Caimanca
Nub

Downloads: 62
Uploads: 0
Default Captain's log quirk

Having sunk some major Japanese warships in a Taskforce, carrier, battleship, cruiser, the Captain's log only credits me for having sunk destroyers instead.

Anyone with knowledge care to weigh in?
Caimanca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-19, 10:26 PM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Caimanca!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-19, 11:53 PM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Well, which version of Silent Hunter 4 are you using? The most common one years ago was v1.3, then 1.4 and then 1.5, also known as Uboat Missions Addon, and later Gold Edition. If you have a choice for a German Uboat career, then you have v1.5. Also, do you have any mods enabled? If you do, then what folder do you have SH4 installed in?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-19, 11:24 AM   #4
Caimanca
Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Well, which version of Silent Hunter 4 are you using? The most common one years ago was v1.3, then 1.4 and then 1.5, also known as Uboat Missions Addon, and later Gold Edition. If you have a choice for a German Uboat career, then you have v1.5. Also, do you have any mods enabled? If you do, then what folder do you have SH4 installed in?
Sorry for lack of info "propbeanie", I am running with up to date steam version, snapmod installed under JSGME. I know, I know, really a cheat mode but it helps me learning skills as I get get on with the sim without getting sunk over and over.
Installed under Program Files(x86) - Steam. Save games in the usual place under User/Documents/SH4/

Last edited by Caimanca; 08-29-19 at 11:32 AM.
Old 08-29-19, 04:25 PM   #5
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caimanca View Post
Sorry for lack of info "propbeanie", I am running with up to date steam version, snapmod installed under JSGME. I know, I know, really a cheat mode but it helps me learning skills as I get get on with the sim without getting sunk over and over.
Installed under Program Files(x86) - Steam. Save games in the usual place under User/Documents/SH4/
welcome to Subsim, Caiman-ca.
bad things occur when users install under a Windows System Folder such as Program Files(x86).
you are going to want to de-install and reinstall into a non-windows-system-folder.
for example, my installation is C:\Ubisoft\whateverelseyouwishtonameyourfolder\

after you re-install, if you encounter the same situation where you are credited for some ships and not others it may be due to one or more of the following reasons:
  • you only damaged the ship and it survived.
  • you did not stay in the immediate vicinity of the damaged ship in order to verify its sinking.
  • there is one more reason and i cannot recall it. my apologies.
a best practice to follow when you have damaged an enemy ship, any enemy ship, is to determine how badly it is damaged. is it still underway? how fast is it moving? is it actually sinking? if it is moving away from the area at 10 kts, you have more work to do. if you can observe it through the scope and see its stern or bow slowly dipping below the surface, stick around for a few minutes.
you will receive a "message" of a ship-kill that you damaged when it is officially deemed to be sunk IF you are in the immediate vicinity.
what does immediate vicinity mean? hard to say because Ubisoft has a fair amount of "fog" in trying to understand why some things happen. in my experience, if one of my crew can detect the damaged ship sinking, then we get credit. sonar. radar. visual. i can only relate what i have experienced.

so, move your install and get back to sinking ships!
good luck and good hunting!

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-19, 09:16 AM   #6
propbeanie

As KaleunMarco says, you will have to move the Silent Hunter install, otherwise Windows will roll back the changes the mod attempts to do, leaving you with a a mass of weirdness in the game. Refer to the Steam Knowledgebase Article Moving a Steam Installation and Games for their methodology of doing the move. The way you do it depends upon if you have a usable 2nd hard drive or partition. You can run the game from a fast external hard drive, but it does have to be "fast". The definition of fast in this case depends upon your computer and the controller chip of the external drive...

Also, the other reason you might lose credit for a sinking (probably the one KaleunMarco couldn't remember) is if another Allied unit assists in the sinking, such as an airplane bombing the ship, or a BB lobbing some 12 or 16 inch rounds into it from the horizon. I have put five torps into an enemy ship, only to have an airplane "steal" the sinking credit (it was not registered to my boat) by dropping a bomb down the stack... oh well. The fog of war...

Old 08-30-19, 02:23 PM   #7
Caimanca
Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
As KaleunMarco says, you will have to move the Silent Hunter install, otherwise Windows will roll back the changes the mod attempts to do, leaving you with a a mass of weirdness in the game. Refer to the Steam Knowledgebase Article Moving a Steam Installation and Games for their methodology of doing the move. The way you do it depends upon if you have a usable 2nd hard drive or partition. You can run the game from a fast external hard drive, but it does have to be "fast". The definition of fast in this case depends upon your computer and the controller chip of the external drive...

Also, the other reason you might lose credit for a sinking (probably the one KaleunMarco couldn't remember) is if another Allied unit assists in the sinking, such as an airplane bombing the ship, or a BB lobbing some 12 or 16 inch rounds into it from the horizon. I have put five torps into an enemy ship, only to have an airplane "steal" the sinking credit (it was not registered to my boat) by dropping a bomb down the stack... oh well. The fog of war...
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
welcome to Subsim, Caiman-ca.
bad things occur when users install under a Windows System Folder such as Program Files(x86).
you are going to want to de-install and reinstall into a non-windows-system-folder.
for example, my installation is C:\Ubisoft\whateverelseyouwishtonameyourfolder\

after you re-install, if you encounter the same situation where you are credited for some ships and not others it may be due to one or more of the following reasons:
  • you only damaged the ship and it survived.
  • you did not stay in the immediate vicinity of the damaged ship in order to verify its sinking.
  • there is one more reason and i cannot recall it. my apologies.
a best practice to follow when you have damaged an enemy ship, any enemy ship, is to determine how badly it is damaged. is it still underway? how fast is it moving? is it actually sinking? if it is moving away from the area at 10 kts, you have more work to do. if you can observe it through the scope and see its stern or bow slowly dipping below the surface, stick around for a few minutes.
you will receive a "message" of a ship-kill that you damaged when it is officially deemed to be sunk IF you are in the immediate vicinity.
what does immediate vicinity mean? hard to say because Ubisoft has a fair amount of "fog" in trying to understand why some things happen. in my experience, if one of my crew can detect the damaged ship sinking, then we get credit. sonar. radar. visual. i can only relate what i have experienced.

so, move your install and get back to sinking ships!
good luck and good hunting!
Thank you Kaleun Marco and propbeanie for your valuable insights.
Once I finish the current career (dead or alive) I will reinstall in a different directory and also give my SH4 Gold with u-boat missions a try to see if the experience differs from my current Steam installation. Probably have to fiddle with the game resolution settings again to get it to work, sigh....
Old 08-30-19, 02:38 PM   #8
propbeanie

Anytime you make changes to the game, you should delete the Save folder (C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4 by default), and when you do that, you have to change the settings. The resolution is in the Data / Cfg / Main.cfg file, and there are several ways you could edit and save your desired settings for quick restore...