Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-05-17, 09:49 AM   #1
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4
Default DW, Subcommand on modern computers

Hi,
I'm the proud owner of the Subcommand & DW DVDs that I bought and have played years ago. I'd like to re-visit these games and my concern is to install and run them correctly on today's systems.

My current OS for gaming is Windows 7 x64 on a i7 4GHZ with 16 GB RAM and a NVidia GTX 960 4GB VRAM; VMWare to emulate Windows XP + Win98 CE.

Can I run DW or Subcommand in VMWare + Windows XP? Or should I install these with Dosbox + DFend in my Windows 7 ?

Then I don't remember: Is the submarine part of DW the Subcommand game on steroids, or is Subcommand the better choice if you are interested in Sub warfare alone? I have for both SubC + DW a lot of mods that I have saved on CD years ago, I vaguely remember that DW has more random elements in the missions and warfare (also when it comes to create missions with the editor), but I can't remember exactly, thanks to refresh my memory

Thanks for a feedback!

Last edited by XenonSurf; 11-05-17 at 09:58 AM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-17, 10:52 AM   #2
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

Hello!

Dangerous Waters and Sub Command will run on Windows 7 just fine without any fancy emulation or anything. Dangerous Waters is the better game, but I tend to like the missions in Sub Command better. Dangerous Waters has more of a modern day, littoral combat feel to its missions whereas Sub Command has more of a Cold War type feel to its missions, IMO. The Sub Command missions can be played in Dangerous Waters, anyway. Hope this helps.

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-17, 11:43 AM   #3
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Thanks very much for your feedback, FPSChazly, I'll try first to install it straight in my Windows 7. Currently I'm running Red Storm Rising in Dosbox and playing the new Cold Waters, but at first glance the new CW seems to be on the arcadish side of a sub sim, but I like it. This has given me the idea to reinstall DW and other subsims I have.

Cheers and thanks,
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-17, 03:41 PM   #4
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 56
Uploads: 0

Just make sure your install of DW is patched to version 1.04.
If your disks are old enough, you may have to find the patch and run it.

With Sub Command, you may want to install the SCX mod. You can find it at the other sub sim web site. SCX adds newer 3D models and expands the data base of countries and platforms. SCX is actually several SC/688i mods combined into one mod, think of it as a "one and done" type of upgrade.

As Chazly has already mentioned, Sub Command has more of a cold war, blue water feel while Dangerous Waters is based more in a post-cold-war era. DW has a slightly better "world map" (its more defined) to reflect missions in shallower waters. You may want to install both games in case one of them becomes tiring, just realize that SC and DW are essentially the same game.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-17, 12:57 PM   #5
tAKticool47
Mate

Downloads: 1
Default Win 7

Just curious- is the deal you PREFER Win 7? -- edit- what I mean is, are you wondering if it will run Win7+ on down the line, or specifically on your Win 7 rig.

My home-built custom hi-performance rig is based on an i7-4790K (that I have hit 5.1 GHz at 1.4V but I prefer to run at 4.8 @~ 1.24 to 5.0 @~ 1.34-1.35) , a MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G, and 16GB G.SKILL Sniper ... among other things. I run DW fine, albeit of course I can't get it to run in a window, oh well.

And you'd be surprised how DW can tax your system if you add a ton of aircraft and especially Shipwreck-shooting subs/ships on the badguys side lol.

Last edited by tAKticool47; 11-06-17 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Sorry if I sounded different than I meant
tAKticool47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-17, 07:01 PM   #6
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 56

Yep, that brings up a good point.

I'm running Win10 (64 bit) and so far its a great OS for running older games.

Keep in mind that most older games were published back when multi cores and threads were a pipe dream. They just weren't designed for them. I'm running an i3 CPU and the biggest bang I get comes from the 3.7 Ghz clock speed on the chip.
With Win10, things don't crash. The worst that can happen (at least so far) is a CTD or as I call it, a blink. I just click the shortcut again and everything's back where I left it.

I'm not saying Win10 is the perfect solution, its also fantastic if you enjoy being nickled and dimed for software as an example, but its doing this job well.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote