SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-13-20, 05:04 PM   #1
dpo628
Swabbie

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0
Default Windows 10 patch update help...

Hey all...been a very long time since I’ve played silent hunter. I have a cd version of Hunter 4. Downloaded the 1.4 patch, but my cpu won’t allow me too open it. I assume because it’s a .exe file it thinks it’s sketchy. I tried looking in the priorities looking for a “unblock” box....but there is not one. Any help? I hate playing it straight from the cd version.....buggy buggy buggy....
dpo628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-20, 05:23 PM   #2
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome Back To The Subsim Community > dpo628
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
SH3 – 4 - 5 Tutorials > Downloads > Other Useful Information > See Links in My Signature Below

You need to install the CD version first
Try disabling your anti-virus or make the SH4.exe an exception in your anti-virus firewall.

THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-20, 05:28 PM   #3
dpo628
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER View Post
A Warm Welcome Back To The Subsim Community > dpo628
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
SH3 – 4 - 5 Tutorials > Downloads > Other Useful Information > See Links in My Signature Below

You need to install the CD version first
Try disabling your anti-virus or make the SH4.exe an exception in your anti-virus firewall.

I have already installed it. And played for awhile...then I remembered you could download patches and mods and such.
Old 03-13-20, 07:40 PM   #4
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back!

dpo628! after a very long silent run!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-20, 11:42 AM   #5
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpo628 View Post
I have already installed it. And played for awhile...then I remembered you could download patches and mods and such.
Do you the patch file in the SH4 folder? Right-click on the patch executable, and then left-click on "Run as administrator". Windows defender or other AV might be flagging it as a virus or worm, especially if you have the disk version of SH4 installed in the default path of "C:\Program Files (x86) \Ubisoft \Silent Hunter 4..." Windows does not allow "un-authorized" alterations in the "Program Files" folders. You could un-install the disk version, then re-install it, but pointing it to a different install path outside of a Program Files folder, such that if you carefully edit the path dialog, you could do "C:\Games \Ubisoft \Silent Hunter 4..." (or some-such). That way, Windows won't hit you with the UAC and "protected" system folders.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-20, 02:44 PM   #6
dpo628
Swabbie

yes I have it in my silent hunter 4 folder. and when I try and open it, even as a admin it says "a admin has blocked you from running this app".
Old 03-14-20, 04:07 PM   #7
propbeanie

What is the path to your Silent Hunter 4 install? ie: "C:\Program Files (x86) \Steam \SteamApps \Common \Silent Hunter 4..." is the default locationl. ??

Old 03-14-20, 09:28 PM   #8
dpo628
Swabbie

Program data/Microsoft/start menu/programs/Ubisoft/silent hunter
Old 03-14-20, 11:36 PM   #9
propbeanie

Naw, that's the properties of the short-cut on Windows Start menu. Which version of Windows do you have? Getting to the actual program path in Windows 7 is easy, just by right-clicking on the Start Menu's short-cut for the program, then choosing "Properties", and looking on the General Tab, you'll see the path in the "Target" box. In Windows 8 & 10, it is a bit different...

Old 03-15-20, 10:33 AM   #10
dpo628
Swabbie

Windows 10
Old 03-15-20, 08:39 PM   #11
propbeanie

Windows 10 makes you throw in a few extra steps if you use the Start menu. So you click on the "Windows" Start menu, and I'll assume there is a Ubisoft folder on the menu, since that is what I have. You open the folder, select the Silent Hunter 4 program icon with a right-click and then choose "More --->" from the menu. Then when that opens, choose the "Open file location", which is basically what you previously mentioned. However, that is the "short-cut" location. Select the short-cut and right-click on it, and then "Properties". Now you'll have a proper "Properties" dialog box to the actual executable for the program, and the "Target" box will have the path to the file. That's where you want to place the patch file, right-click and "Run as administrator".

Old 03-16-20, 08:30 PM   #12
dpo628
Swabbie

So much epic failure on my part. I tried doing the above...with the same result. 😡
Old 03-16-20, 08:52 PM   #13
propbeanie

Can you get to the Properties page with the "Target" box? Or are you getting a Windows "url" location?...

Tell you what, never mind about all of the details then. Just navigate back into your SH4 game folder where you put the patch file. Once you are in there, press the <CTRL> key, and while holding it down, press the <A> key. That should select all of the files in the folder. Now right-click on any file name, and choose "Properties" from the resultant menu. It will open a "General" tab of the "Properties" dialog. Toward the bottom of that little window will be "Attributes", and you will probably see a "Read-only" tick box that has a partially-greyed check mark in it. Click in the tick box to clear the tick mark completely. Click on the OK or Apply button, and another little dialog will pop-up and ask you if you want to apply this to all the files and sub-folders. Tell it yes. That will take a minute or two to run. Once it does, double-click on the patch executable file again, and see if it will run and "take" OK like that. I have my doubts, since it is Windows and a "Program Files" folder. Let us know what happens. It might run, it might not. If it does run, Windows might still change it back to the way it was. If it does that, then we'll try to help you copy and move the game's working "install" folder.

Old 03-17-20, 07:39 PM   #14
dpo628
Swabbie

Did that and it still won’t allow me too open it. I greatly appreciate your help so far though. Maybe we can FaceTime and you can talk me through this mess and I can show you what going on...😂😂
Old 03-17-20, 08:18 PM   #15
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Downloads: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpo628 View Post
Did that and it still won’t allow me too open it. I greatly appreciate your help so far though. Maybe we can FaceTime and you can talk me through this mess and I can show you what going on...����

Hi dpo628,

I don't want to muddy the water regarding the assistance you are receiving currently, but keep the following in your back pocket while you are going through the process of getting up and running....

First, don't get discouraged. I've seen many give up in frustration and leave. It may take some time and a bit of learning to get it working, but it isn't crazy hard.... just unpleasant to go through the process sometimes. I'm no expert on how to play SH4, but I have it up and running with windows 10 on my system.

Be ready to uninstall everything using the disk itself.... and restart your PC to ensure it is clear of all SH4 files.

The default destination path for SH4 can be problematic.... so you may need to make your own destination folder, and then aim the installation to the folder you create. (That is what I had to do. Just be ready to do this.)

Once it is installed and patched to the latest SH4 version, get the 4gb patch, aim it at the SH4.exe file inside your installation folder, and run it before you attempt to play SH4.

Also before you attempt to play, navigate to the same SH4.exe file, and right-click 'Run as administrator' (Also that was what I did, and it did not require having to run in Windows 7 compatibility mode etc.

Also, if you have an NVIDIA graphics card, and the game looks jaggy (jaggy but it will play.) don't worry. That is a separate problem. Again, don't get discouraged.... you can get help here for that as well. (But worry about that later. First get up and running and go from there.) Trust me. You don't have to be a programmer to get your sub in the water here.

Sink'em ALL!

www.thegreywolves.com
All you need is good men. - Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock

Last edited by Kpt. Lehmann; 03-17-20 at 08:28 PM.
Kpt. Lehmann is offline   Reply With Quote