SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-16-09, 09:23 AM   #46
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

If you mean the TDC picture I posted, then yes all dials are messed (No wonder, as most of U-995 is nowadays smashed and harrassed, f.e. the observation scope in the control room)

But I have hi-res pictures of the cover which was removed from that TDC, and the lettering there (Plus crossing information with other sources) shows clearly which dial is what. Also, it is worth mentioning that not all TDCs had the same layout, there was at least a vertical (For Type IX U-Boats) and a horizontal (For Type II & VII) version, and I have seen versions with the same dials placed in different parts in some pictures.
Old 09-16-09, 09:32 AM   #47
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Correction: I just double checked the pictures mentioned, and the term used in U-995s TDC is "Auftreffwinkel", i.e. "Angle of impact"

It's obviously even clearer with that naming what the dial displays , and clearly synonimous to "Schneidungswinkel"
Old 09-16-09, 12:06 PM   #48
makman94
Hellas

Downloads: 182
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post

.....But I have hi-res pictures of the cover which was removed from that TDC, and the lettering there (Plus crossing information with other sources) shows clearly which dial is what.....
thank you Hitman for the infos. it will be nice if you upload these pictures !!

Mediafire page:http://www.mediafire.com/folder/da50.../Makman94_Mods
makman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-09, 06:25 PM   #49
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Downloads: 151
Uploads: 0

OK... how about now , I've put Vernier dials for the Bearing (vertical) and Gyro (lower horizontal).

By the way, I need names for all the dials, for TDC and torpedo settings, and I'd rather have them short, because of lack of space. Can someone provide me a complete list?
-AOB
-Track Angle
-Bearing
-Gyro
-Range
-Speed
-Torpedo Depth
-Torpedo Speed
-Torpedo Pistol
-Straight run (for Fat)
-Pattern direction(for Fat)
-Single Torpedo Selector
-Salvo Torpedo Selector
karamazovnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-09, 06:58 AM   #50
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Man this is fantastic!!! If you manage to do it, I will have to forget about SH3 and switch to SH4 also for playing german side

Quote:
it will be nice if you upload these pictures !!
Unfortunately, my friend doesn't want to make his pictures public, as he is preparing a book with them and many more. I just got them to collaborate in translating the terms, but you might eventually find more pictures of the TDC around the web, it's in public display in the museum

Quote:
OK... how about now , I've put Vernier dials for the Bearing (vertical) and Gyro (lower horizontal).
Looks great, but the vernier for bearing probably is not necessary. The place could be used for another dial if needed.

For your reference, this is how the vertical TDC installed in U-505 looks like:

Quote:
By the way, I need names for all the dials, for TDC and torpedo settings, and I'd rather have them short, because of lack of space. Can someone provide me a complete list?
Here you go (Added in brackets the abreviatures in therminology used in KM books I have seen or simply made by me):

-AOB: GegnerLage (Short: Lage)
-Track Angle: Autreffwinkel (ATreff-W)
-Bearing: Peilung
-Gyro: GA-Winkel
-Range: Schussentfernung (Short: E)
-Speed: Gegnerfahrt (Short: "G-Fahrt" or even "vg")
-Torpedo Speed: Torpedo Geschwindigkeit (Short: T-Geschw. or "vt")
-Salvo Spread: Streuwinkel

These are no longer in the TDC:

-Torpedo Depth: Torpedo Tiefe
-Torpedo Pistol: Torpedo Pistole
-Straight run (for Fat): Geradelauf
-Pattern direction(for Fat): Probably "Richtungsänderung", must check it.
-Single Torpedo Selector: Einzelschuss
-Salvo Torpedo Selector: Salvenschuss
Old 09-19-09, 02:22 PM   #51
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Thanks Hitman

Now here's the final layout:

The Autoupdate button will sit in the dounded part of the Bearing dial group. Since the FATs don't allow you to set the pattern angle and pattern leg, they're out. I've modeled the Straight Run as a dial but the Pattern direction only allows for 90 port and 90 starboard angles by default, so I've modeled it as a switch (the one sith red and green).
Tomorrow I'll deal with finishing touches, materials and lights.
Old 09-19-09, 04:08 PM   #52
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Ohhh WOW now that looks pretty good!!

If the lettering "Auftreff-W" instead of "ATreff-W" fits in that label, it would be even better

The lower dials would do good with a "G-A Winkel" label , and the two leftmost ones with a suared box around, not a curved one, but this is pure nit-picking

I like the metallic texture of the TDC a lot, can you make it available?
Old 09-19-09, 06:34 PM   #53
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Noted on the Autreff, it fits very well.
I will not put a label for the gyroangle, but I'll extend the panel down a bit and fit in a nice Siemens 3d label.
The rounded bearing group will feature the AutoUpdate button (bulb), so it must stay as it is, as I don't have any other place for it (you can see it in the pic below, but it's not modeled yet).

The track angle dial has had it's glass removed. There's a small difference between it's sides and the other dials sides. If you look close enough you can even see the light bulbs on each dial (2 of them for each). Yeah, I know, I'm crazy.
There is no texture in that image. The metal material of the panel is a generic material with a Granite noise map added. The white marks on the dials are not textures, but polygons. Yes, each dial consists of a LOT of polygons; the bearing dial alone has 180 cap sections, if I remember correctly. But it allowed me to input very precise angles on them, and they look perfect at any resolution (altough at close range you can see the lines become bigger as they get to the rim, easy to fix but there's no reason). I know I could've made textures in Illustrator but even thogh I own about 4 versions of it (and 8 photoshops including a floppy disk 2.5 version), I've never learned it .The final images that the game will use will be 1200x1200 pixels compared to the current 768x768 that the game uses. It will look great for high resolutions, but I'll need to alter the text on a few dials to make them visible at lower resolutions. So the final mod will have them as an option. Also, there's no way I can dinamically check the number of torpedo tubes of the sub, so I'll make variants for 3/5/6 tube subs. I'll also throw in very big clean dials for refference along with my Office macros used for positioning.

One problem I ran into are the switches on the non circular torpedo dials (the speed/detonator/selection). I had hoped to find a way to link each position to a different image, but I didn't . I'll need to be carefull about their highlights, otherwise their rotation will look weird in the game (as the original ones do ). Shadows will be offset dials that will rotate with the needles to create the moving shadow illusion.

Anyway, this is just the first part, but I'll implement them into the game asap. After that I'll need to rework the entire layout page (order bar), just as OLC did. Only then can I go back to cleaning up the scope screens, making new backgrounds for them and making an AOBF and Attack Disk I can't wait to finish it, me wanna play
Old 09-20-09, 02:51 AM   #54
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Quote:
Noted on the Autreff, it fits very well
It's "Auftreff", with an additional "f" behind the "Au"

On the Torpedo controls panel I see a switch labelled "Fahrt" --> If this refers to the Torpedo speed then it should be "Torpedo Geschwindigkeit" or in short form "T-Geschw."

Also, the AOB dial reads "Lage" which is correct, but if it would fit in the label, the term "Gegnerlage" would be even better.

Quote:
I'll make variants for 3/5/6 tube subs
Remember to make also a two tube version for the Type XXIII

It's a pity that you can't keep the 3D TDC instead of the 2D, it looks gorgeous. But I'm sure it will also look fantastic in the game.

Looking forward to see it all working!

Last edited by Hitman; 09-20-09 at 04:24 AM.
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-09, 03:26 AM   #55
makman94
Hellas

Downloads: 182
Uploads: 7

i knew it that this would be the best mod for u-boats !
looking forward for this too!
congratulations Karamazovnew !!

Mediafire page:http://www.mediafire.com/folder/da50.../Makman94_Mods
makman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-09, 09:43 AM   #56
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Roger on that Hitman, but the AOB must remain Lage or the label overlaps the blue button. Will deal with the rest.
Thanks Makman however so far it's only been a 3d project. Soon it will be a mod
Old 09-21-09, 10:21 AM   #57
Wilcke
The Old Man

Downloads: 234

Excellent work! This will be a fine addition to SH4!

For the best in Fleet Boats go to: Submarine Sim Central. http://forum.kickinbak.com/index.php
Check out: A Brief Introduction to the Pacific Submarine War by Ducimus
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=128185
Operation Monsun plus OMEGU, the #1 ATO Solution for SH4!

Signature Art by Gunfighter
Wilcke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-09, 11:43 AM   #58
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Quote:
the AOB must remain Lage or the label overlaps the blue button
Can't you put the blue button to the left of the "Entfernung" label? Seems to have some space there and it would allow you to have a more correct shape of the Gyro Angle dial hole and the big label for "Gegnerlage"

P.D. in the real TDC the blue lamp was lit when the TDC was set as "Lage folgend" i.e. when moving scope or UZO would update the tdc. But it was just a lamp, the TDC was connected/disconnected from the scopes-uzo with a lever on its side.
Old 09-21-09, 01:18 PM   #59
karamazovnew
The Old Man

I'll see how it looks.. updated pics tomorrow with final 3d version, was too tired to do some meaningful work today . After that I can finnaly get back to my "beloved" menu.ini file
Old 09-23-09, 05:06 PM   #60
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Well, I'm moving to the second phase of smashing to pieces the images in Photoshop so I thought you might like to see the current state of the TDC. This was a 10 minute render (not bad) and shows the exact perspective that will be present in the game. I'm not exactly sure what color the metal should have. I can't leave it greenish grey, but having it reflect compelte red lights will make it look weird... Any opinions?