SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-25-07, 10:14 PM   #61
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 132
Uploads: 0

Me again...

Somebody knows if at Periscope depth the hydrophones worked well on uboats at WWII?

It´s easily to adjust this on Sensors.dat. For example we can set a min heigh to the hydrophones work at 17m (an example). If this is realistic the game will be even more challenge.:hmm:
Old 03-26-07, 02:27 AM   #62
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Releasead!
8km only - link on the first post.

Please read the readme inside (a bit large but full of good info).

I will only make the 16km if we have good feedback from the 8km users.
Any feedback is welcome!

Rubini.
Old 03-26-07, 03:09 AM   #63
Jan Kyster
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubini
Somebody knows if at Periscope depth the hydrophones worked well on uboats at WWII?
Well... :hmm:
As I'm using the GHG, I've wondered why I can't use the hydrophone all the time? As you know, it's an arced array of microphones located on each side of the hull around and above the hydroplanes. So they are in the water all the time...

Off to download the package!

U-33 will be reporting in later.
Jan Kyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-07, 03:09 AM   #64
Maraz
Navy Dude

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubini
I will only make the 16km if we have good feedback from the 8km users.
Thanks a lot for your work, I hope you will at last make the 16Km version too...

Maraz
Maraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-07, 03:16 AM   #65
P_Funk
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 128

Yes I would love a 16km one. I'd be more than willing to beta test too. I can't bear to return to 8km though so if it doesn't come to 16km I might never get to enjoy this breakthrough.

P_Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-07, 04:51 AM   #66
Paajtor
The Old Man

Downloads: 64
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Funk
Yes I would love a 16km one. I'd be more than willing to beta test too. I can't bear to return to 8km though so if it doesn't come to 16km I might never get to enjoy this breakthrough.
Same here...I love this idea, but I'm quite fond of my 16k-game. My rig can handle it easily.

Keep up the good work, Rubini!

Paajtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-07, 05:13 AM   #67
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Hi Rubini, between entertaining guests & testing SH4 I have been kind of off track, sorry about that chief! I notice you have the mod out already, that's great, not sure when I will be back to SH3!
Cheers.

Sub captains go down with their ship!

Last edited by Reece; 03-27-07 at 12:03 AM.
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-07, 10:14 AM   #68
Wilcke
The Old Man

Downloads: 234

Hi Rubini,

Started a new career 1940 in a VIIC, so far so good, no problems noted and I really like the additional assistance on the plot. The circles are really nice, have had a few contacts with the hydrophone and the WO is working well.

Will try the periscope depth as you posted above. Also, am going to cut this patrol short and load the GWX 1.03 patch, then reload and do some missions, for instance go straight away into Happy Times mission, dive and silent run while doing the hydrophone "hunt".

So far so good, and 16km gets my vote plus beta testing. Nice work man!
Wilcke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-07, 11:41 AM   #69
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

This may be a stupid question but I'll ask anyway.

Is this newly released visual hydrophone workaround compatible with the newly released 1.03 GWX update?
Old 03-26-07, 12:01 PM   #70
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Question for Rubini

There was a question on the SH3 forum regarding radar detection of the snorkel.

I remember an early modification (pre-Grey Wolves) of radar height from .5 to 1-meter (maybe) to decrease radar dection.

In your work with the sensor files, etc., can you maybe shed some light on this radar detection question and a possible fix to reduce detection of the snorkel.
Old 03-26-07, 01:34 PM   #71
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Zelda
There was a question on the SH3 forum regarding radar detection of the snorkel.

I remember an early modification (pre-Grey Wolves) of radar height from .5 to 1-meter (maybe) to decrease radar dection.

In your work with the sensor files, etc., can you maybe shed some light on this radar detection question and a possible fix to reduce detection of the snorkel.
I was awaiting a for this question...

Yes, Jungman was the first that discouver this issue and since then all big mods already have it incorporated, so it's on GWX and on this mod (both versions).

But...Jungamnn in truth made it for AI_visual and for generic AI_radar only not for individual radars...When i was working on this mod I notice that GWX also only have these fix (AI_Visual and on generic AI_radar) but not in all AI radars like the Airplanes ones (same as Jungman did). As nobody make any comment about this until now I left this as it is on GWX and Jugman settings...

If someone start to have a so much air attacks (with GWX) when sailing with snorkel we can adjust this easily, ok? (now speaking by the GWX team)

And yes, my mod is patch 1.03 compatible.
Old 03-26-07, 02:38 PM   #72
gabeeg
Helmsman

Downloads: 15

Rubini,

Actually now that you mention this...I have wondered why it was that when I have the snorkel exposed I tend to get just as many...if not more air patrols coming at me than when surfaced....this might explain that. I believe another fix for this was at one time someone decreased the default amount of snorkel that was exposed above water when it was deployed...I might be wrong about that. I would like to test what happens with the individual radars tweaked...

Harry J. Miktarian
gabeeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-07, 02:57 PM   #73
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeeg
Rubini,

Actually now that you mention this...I have wondered why it was that when I have the snorkel exposed I tend to get just as many...if not more air patrols coming at me than when surfaced....this might explain that. I believe another fix for this was at one time someone decreased the default amount of snorkel that was exposed above water when it was deployed...I might be wrong about that. I would like to test what happens with the individual radars tweaked...
This is simple to do. Just open the AI_sensors.dat with TTweak and adjust all the active radars MinHeight from 0 to 1 (meter)! Mainly the ones used by aircraft (ASVMark - alltypes)!
Done!
Old 03-26-07, 05:53 PM   #74
gabeeg
Helmsman

Downloads: 15

beautiful! thanks. (taking a look now)

Harry J. Miktarian
gabeeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-07, 06:10 PM   #75
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default For Rubini

I opened you sensors cfg file which has "radar sensor height factor=0" If I recall correctly, the stock game had height at .5 and jugman's mod made it 1. I'm not sure of the stock GWX.

I can not open the sensor dat files.

Is it possible that changing the radar sensor height factor to 1 in the sensor cfg file may eliminate the detection of the snorkel without changing any thing else in the dat files?

There doesn't appear to be any thing to change in the sim cfg file.

If necessary, can you tweak the dat files to make radar sensor height =1 and post an optional update. But this might not be necessary if the change to radar sensor height works well at 1. Can you test this therory?

I just noticed you had Jugman's A1 dat file as an option. What are the radar sensor height factors in this optional file? Maybe this optional file is all we need along with the one change in the sensor cfg file??