SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-03-09, 04:58 PM   #1
nefelodamon
Swabbie

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 0
Default New Hydrophone Interception Tutorial

Hello all,

After playing a while, I got fascinated by the idea of intercepting and shooting at targets only with the use of Hydrophone.

So after a lot of reading, watching other tutorials and videos I present you my version of Hydrophone interception.

DL here: http://www.filefront.com/14186971/Hy...mon.part01.rar
View here: http://nefelodamon.blip.tv/

As I state at the end of my video, I dont claim that I re-invented the wheel. On the contrary, I used information available around the internet and here, at subsim.
My tutorial was inspired by the excellent video of Mittelwaechter called ''Hydrohunt''. I used his method of "4th bearing" position calculation as he describes it on his videos.

I hope you will enjoy my tutorial and that more users will turn to manual targeting

Last edited by nefelodamon; 08-05-09 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Viewing link added
nefelodamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-09, 07:33 PM   #2
Mittelwaechter
The Old Man

Downloads: 35

Ooh! - That's a brilliant and easy technique to get the course direction of the contact.

Whoever is interested in hunting by hydrophone should watch this clip and learn the magic of the technique.

Well done Sir!

10 happy wolves rear 90 blinded, ensnared sheep. 90 happy sheep banish the wolves.

Arrest the 1% - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ6hg1oNeGE
Mittelwaechter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-09, 07:52 PM   #3
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

My sentiments exactly!!!

A minor suggestion if you need to copy over parallel lines (or the moved distance of the target between the bearings) is to use the arrow of the compass. When you move the circle elsewhere on the map the arrow points in the same direction. I find that easier than setting up a new protractor with the same angle value, as it also has the added chance of inaccurate angles.

Last edited by Pisces; 08-04-09 at 05:24 AM.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-09, 06:00 AM   #4
meduza
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 40

Thanks for the tutorial!

meduza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-09, 07:47 AM   #5
makman94
Hellas

Downloads: 182
Uploads: 7

very nice video Nefelodamon ! bravo !

you don't need to draw the 20km radius circle at all ! only the four lines for the bearing and no matter how long they will be
i suggest to get the pato's image (the one that have circles till 4.650m radius--here: fixes+new 'one degree bearing') and directly place the bearing lines to the bearings that are given from sonarman (it will make your life ...easier)
also for the last report of sonarman (the one that will give you the 'hot' 'fifth' bearing line is no need to come to a dead stop .when you get the report from sonarman...pause the game and draw the line to the given bearing
also,once you get the direction of the target and you want to turn your boat to a 90degrees angle course ,simply add (or minus--depends from if you have the target from your left or right of you) 90 to targets course and set your boat to this direction
and something for last , when you use the tdc and want to set the 90 aob ,be sure that your periscope is pointed to 0 degrees.anytime you will use the tdc ,always be sure first that the peri is pointing to 0 degrees (all this in case that your course is setted to a 90 degrees angle with target's course)

you made a great video !

bye

Mediafire page:http://www.mediafire.com/folder/da50.../Makman94_Mods
makman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-09, 08:15 AM   #6
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by makman94 View Post

and something for last , when you use the tdc and want to set the 90 aob ,be sure that your periscope is pointed to 0 degrees.anytime you will use the tdc ,always be sure first that the peri is pointing to 0 degrees (all this in case that your course is setted to a 90 degrees angle with target's course)
Yes, I was just about to reply on this too. Look when he is going to set the tdc dials for the first time. He sets the AOB to 90. (adjusts range dial, but that is not important here) Then he sets the bearing dial to 000 (was set to 352 because of that course correction) Note how the AOB dial follows that movement. But then as he sets the tdc back to auto-mode the bearing dial flips back to the direction the (attack) periscope is looking (still 352), but the AOB dial doesn't follow. For this 90 degrees setup it doesn't matter much in accuracy. But for different AOB setups it could be alot worse.
Old 08-04-09, 08:51 AM   #7
Contact
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Just finished watching it, awesome technique. I just don't like that it is no option to see what type of freighter is coming but thats it's not so important
Old 08-04-09, 10:30 AM   #8
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contact View Post
Just finished watching it, awesome technique. I just don't like that it is no option to see what type of freighter is coming but thats it's not so important
Ofcourse you have the option, nefelodamon just didn't do it. Infact you should, torpedos onto neutral vessel leave bad stains.
Old 08-04-09, 01:55 PM   #9
Contact
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Yes I will have to watch that video again another few times just get a better grip on it

Imagine a frustration if you have external cams off and you get a sound contact and you do all that hard work just to find out you was hunting a neutral
Old 08-04-09, 02:35 PM   #10
bojan811
Engineer

Downloads: 106

Very good tutorial.
bojan811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-09, 04:09 PM   #11
nefelodamon
Swabbie

Thank you all for your nice words .

Actually I hope this will be only the first tutorial of more to come.
I want to perfect my technique with motion vectors (while in move) and also to demonstrate a convoy attack with that technique.

Now for the comments...

makman94
Quote:
you don't need to draw the 20km radius circle at all ! only the four lines for the bearing and no matter how long they will be
i suggest to get the pato's image (the one that have circles till 4.650m radius--here: fixes+new 'one degree bearing') and directly place the bearing lines to the bearings that are given from sonarman (it will make your life ...easier
I like to draw the 20 km circle just to know the area of operations. I know it really does not adds to the technique but it helps me set a course to a good spot where I can have the 5th bearing ( a good spot relative to the 4th bearing line).

makman94
Quote:
also for the last report of sonarman (the one that will give you the 'hot' 'fifth' bearing line is no need to come to a dead stop .when you get the report from sonarman...pause the game and draw the line to the given bearing
also,once you get the direction of the target and you want to turn your boat to a 90degrees angle course ,simply add (or minus--depends from if you have the target from your left or right of you) 90 to targets course and set your boat to this direction
That is up to any player to decide. Personally I dont like pausing the game at any time. Also the way to turn the boat at 90 degrees, I could find 10 ways to do that. Its always up to the player, and what comes handy that time.

makman94
Quote:
You are absolutely right on that. I miss that point. Periscope should always point at 0 degrees when making changes
Ευχαριστω καρντάση... Τα χαιρετισματα μου απο την μακρινη Ιρλανδια :-)

Pisces
Quote:
Yes, I was just about to reply on this too. Look when he is going to set the tdc dials for the first time. He sets the AOB to 90. (adjusts range dial, but that is not important here) Then he sets the bearing dial to 000 (was set to 352 because of that course correction) Note how the AOB dial follows that movement. But then as he sets the tdc back to auto-mode the bearing dial flips back to the direction the (attack) periscope is looking (still 352), but the AOB dial doesn't follow. For this 90 degrees setup it doesn't matter much in accuracy. But for different AOB setups it could be alot worse.
The same as above. I should have been more careful with that. And it is true that the 90 degrees solution it self tolerates some error. But anyway, accuracy never hurts :-)

Contact
Quote:
Imagine a frustration if you have external cams off and you get a sound contact and you do all that hard work just to find out you was hunting a neutral
Or a fishing boat
Propeller sounds its a must. Too bad that cannot implement in game. I was reading that the way the sound files are called for each boat is hard coded into the game :-(

Again thank you for the comments. I hope more videos will come soon :-)
Old 08-04-09, 05:01 PM   #12
tomfon
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 178
Uploads: 4

That was an excellent tutorial nefelodamon!
A clever way to intercept and sink a single ship. Really nice. Well done!
I'm waiting impatiently the video you said you'll make to demonstrate an attack to a convoy. This will be even more interesting.

Χαιρετισμούς.

"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." - Michael Jordan

Mods for SH3
tomfon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-09, 01:29 PM   #13
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Nefelodamon:

I tipped the guys in the Sh4 forum about your tutorial. Keep an eye on that thread incase there are questions there aswell. Though I'll do my best aswel.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=154537
Old 08-05-09, 01:47 PM   #14
nefelodamon
Swabbie

Thank you Pisces. For sure I will keep an eye to that post for any queries might arise.

I started already working on the next tutorial. It will be about intercepting a target while your U-Boat moves.
It will be ideal for any targets that move away from your boat. Today on the train to work I had a nice idea on how to achieve that with only 4 bearings. It will involve a bit more plotting than the previous tutorial though ;-)

Again only with SH tools. I have the believe that SH provides everything necessary. No better WO than the ruler and protractor ;-)

This tutorial will include some vector work. I try to perfect the drawing technique as the scale confuse me a bit

I hope by Monday will be ready :-)

Thanks again!
Old 08-05-09, 04:52 PM   #15
nefelodamon
Swabbie

You can also view the tutorial here: http://nefelodamon.blip.tv/

The quality of video is amazing and is full length. I cant understand why people insist on youtube!!!

Greetings!

Tags
hydrophone, intercept, tutorial, video