SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-27-16, 05:45 PM   #436
siege00
Officer

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 0

I ran into that problem too, only after installing and messing with some extra mods. Not sure what causes it. If I ran the game repeatedly, it would sometimes load the career. Marking the exe as compatible with WinXp worked for me.
siege00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-16, 05:59 PM   #437
GT182
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 658
Icon2 Just a idea given to me by a MS technician

I still can't get SH3 to run a campaign. So... I'm rebuilding my PC and have an idea to throw out there. Take a HDD you're not using or if you have a 2T HDD or larger, install XP on a partition along with the OS you're running now. Dual boot setup or another way that will let you run SH3 installed in XP. A MS tech said it is possible to do and SH3 should be playable again. Seeing SH3 was built as a 32 bit game and you have 32 bit XP there should be no problems running SH3.

Once I get this PC redone XP Home is going on my 2T Seagate HDD in second partition along with 8.1 on the first partition. I had no problems with SH3 running on XP before, so I don't think there should be problems with it back on XP.

No Borders, No Language, No Culture =s No Country

I'm a Deplorable, and proud of it.
GT182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-16, 02:45 AM   #438
siege00
Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
I still can't get SH3 to run a campaign. So... I'm rebuilding my PC and have an idea to throw out there. Take a HDD you're not using or if you have a 2T HDD or larger, install XP on a partition along with the OS you're running now. Dual boot setup or another way that will let you run SH3 installed in XP. A MS tech said it is possible to do and SH3 should be playable again. Seeing SH3 was built as a 32 bit game and you have 32 bit XP there should be no problems running SH3.

Once I get this PC redone XP Home is going on my 2T Seagate HDD in second partition along with 8.1 on the first partition. I had no problems with SH3 running on XP before, so I don't think there should be problems with it back on XP.
The things we're willing to go through just to continue playing SH3. Definite tribute to the modders.
Old 02-29-16, 06:58 AM   #439
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

I have had SH3 since launch, but stopped playing a long time ago. I finally got around to reinstalling it and installed the LSH mod.

Just wanted to give a big thanks to the team. This is a very professional effort. The instal is really one click and idiot proof and the instructions and manual are top notch.

a few questions, I installed the widescreen GUI and followed the instructions, I still have small black bars on the top and bottom of the screen. My native resolution is 1920x1200. I assume this is normal?

second, how do I get rid of the black game paused bar? I found a post on the forum about removing the text from line 90 in the en_menu text. It removes the text, but the bar is still there.
Old 02-29-16, 08:05 AM   #440
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi BR
The default widescreen mods resolution is for 1920 x 1080 so may be trying that resolution might help.

See page 6 of the instructions.
Adjusting your resolution for the game might be the answer and then reverting back to your natural resolution afterwards.

The main mod and widescreen mods can be tested in the Naval Academy where there should be no bars showing.

Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-16, 10:15 AM   #441
siege00
Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge_Rat View Post
I have had SH3 since launch, but stopped playing a long time ago. I finally got around to reinstalling it and installed the LSH mod.

Just wanted to give a big thanks to the team. This is a very professional effort. The instal is really one click and idiot proof and the instructions and manual are top notch.

a few questions, I installed the widescreen GUI and followed the instructions, I still have small black bars on the top and bottom of the screen. My native resolution is 1920x1200. I assume this is normal?

second, how do I get rid of the black game paused bar? I found a post on the forum about removing the text from line 90 in the en_menu text. It removes the text, but the bar is still there.
Usually those bars are a video card setting and can be changed. Unfortunately if you change them, in my experience, you end up with your UI being stretched in 1 way or another. You can definitely give it a try though and see how it works for you.

For Nvidia cards, using nvidia software and drivers (ie. nvidia control panel): Open Nvidia Control Panel
On the left panel, under display, select Adjust desktop size and position
In the right pane, you likely have 'aspect ratio' selected, change that to 'full-screen'.

Think back to when HD TVs first came out and they had black bars on the sides if you weren't watching HD content (ie. you were watching SD 4:3 content). You could adjust settings in the TV to make it full screen, but either you lost some of the screen (ie. top and bottom chopped off), or it stretched the image horizontally to fill the screen making everything wider. It's basically the same thing.

Assuming that your monitor doesn't support 1920x1080. If it does, follow Berbster's suggestion and adjust your resolution to that.
Old 02-29-16, 07:03 PM   #442
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

so looking at this again, I see the black "game paused" bar was brought in by the mod.

It is not there in stock.

Does anyone know how to get rid of it and go back to stock? I just need the name of the TGA that does it.

Thanks in advance.

edit: nevermind, found the workaround.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SH3 stock game paused.jpg (87.9 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg SH3 LSH game paused.jpg (52.9 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg LSH stock game pause.jpg (93.4 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by Bilge_Rat; 03-01-16 at 05:02 AM.
Bilge_Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-16, 04:46 AM   #443
THEBERBSTER

Hi BR
Do you get the same problem when you change the default widescreen mod for the OLC widescreen mod?
I assume you followed the instructions on page 7 regarding the driver settings.

Peter
Old 03-02-16, 06:10 AM   #444
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

spending more time with this. Interesting to see you can use the periscope marks to measure the range accurately like in SH5.

each mark represents 10 mils for a total of 100 mils from the waterline to the "10" mark.

on the UZI/Attack scope at high power (10x), the formula to determine range is:

(height of target in meters) x 4000 /(height of target in mils) = range in meters.

at low power (1.5x),the formula to determine range is:

(height of target in meters) x 600 /(height of target in mils) = range in meters.

for example:

target #1 is a "Coastal Merchant", mast height is 22.7 meters, target height in scope is 90 mils, so

22.7 x 4000 / 90 = 1008 meters.

map reading shows almost 1000 meters

target #2 is a "Small Tanker", mast height is 26.6 meters, target height in scope is 60 mils, so

26.6 x 4000 / 60 = 1773 meters.

map reading shows 1800 meters.

I have tried it on a variety of ships, it gives you the exact range within 10%.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg target 1 scope.jpg (95.1 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg Target 1 map.jpg (91.3 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg Target 2 scope.jpg (95.6 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg Target 2 map.jpg (88.9 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by Bilge_Rat; 03-07-16 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-03-16, 09:16 PM   #445
CaptBones
The Old Man

Downloads: 208

bullhorn Found it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlea View Post
-Swatiska is not on the flag of own submarine (on other ships yes by deleting files german.tga) Which is the way to reveal the swatiska on the flag of its own u-boat ?

For ericlea and all those who have tried to put an historically correct KM Naval Ensign on the "player's" own boat...here's how I got it to work...

First, disable all LSH3-2015 MODs in JSGME.

If you don't already have them, get the "German" and "German_M" tga's with swastika.

Make a copy of each and rename them "GE_sub_Mil" and "GE_sub_Civ", respectively.

Place those renamed tga's in the "data\Textures\TNormal\tex" folder of the main MOD (_LSH3-2015___FULLVERSION)...you might want to rename the original "GE_sub_Mil" and "GE_sub_Civ" tga's first.

Then re-enable all of the LSH3-2015 MODs (the one's you want to use) in JSGME. Start the game and check out the results.
CaptBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-16, 09:42 AM   #446
ericlea
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 109

Thanks CaptBones, it works fine !

I have found the German.tga and German_M.tga (with swastika) in CCoM11.0 (great supermod from Rowi ! test it ^^) and you ?

Then I made as indicated.

ericlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-16, 07:49 AM   #447
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

100% manual targeting with LSH

note: to determine range, see post #458.

1. take bearing and range of target (target 1),start chrono:
2. plot on map (map 1);
3. take successive bearing/range (target 2) and plot on map until you are comfortable with course/speed (map 2);
4. I like to fire on a fixed bearing, in this case 350, so I use the protactor at bearing 350 which gives me range and AOB (map 3);
5. input all the data: bearing 10 to port (i.e. 350), AOB 75 STB, speed 5 knots, range 1,000 meters into the TDC (TDC 1);
6. keep the scope on bearing 350 and shoot as the target crosses the bearing, in this case 1 torp in the bow and 1 in the stern (target 3 and 4);
7. if the solution is good, payoff! (payday 1 and 2).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg target 1.jpg (95.0 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg Map 1.jpg (94.0 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg Map 3.jpg (94.9 KB, 516 views)
File Type: jpg target 3.jpg (95.8 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg target 4.jpg (95.6 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg payday 1.jpg (95.9 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg TDC 1.jpg (93.4 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg payday 2.jpg (95.3 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg Map 2.jpg (93.2 KB, 445 views)
File Type: jpg target 2.jpg (97.8 KB, 86 views)

Last edited by Bilge_Rat; 03-05-16 at 08:07 AM.
Old 03-05-16, 10:41 AM   #448
THEBERBSTER

The Navigator gives incorrect report 'Maximum range at current speed'
Tells me I have a range of over 5,000km with less than 20% fuel left.
Peter
Old 03-05-16, 11:37 AM   #449
CaptBones
The Old Man

Downloads: 208

Default The Navigator is right.

What's wrong is the fuel gauge indicator; it's the very bottom portion of the old "cork" indicator. The actual fuel level is somewhere between 10-15% more than the gauge indicates. Check it closely when you start your next patrol, it'll show about 85% fuel onboard before you even leave port (the LI should be "fired" if that were true!).
CaptBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-16, 04:17 PM   #450
THEBERBSTER

Hi CB
I cannot believe Ubicrap could produce a game with such a useless fuel gauge.
More surprising is perhaps that a better one has not been modded.
Peter