SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-25-09, 07:00 PM   #1
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 0

Default "Up Front" by Bill Mauldin

I just finished this book and found it very interesting.

I have been collecting Bill Mauldin's cartoons for a while and added this book, which was originally published in 1945, but reissued in 2000, in that huge stack of books that I need to get to.

Well I did and I loved it. It is a personal view of the Infantry in WWII, mostly in the Italian Theater. There are a selection of his cartoons and he references some of them in the book, but the primary value is his descriptions.

He does a wonderful job of describing the average American "dogface" and what he had to endure during the war. He tells the good the bad and the ugly, but he tells it as he personally saw it.

It is a very easy read and pretty damn funny in places.

If you have not checked this book out, please consider it.

Now that Mr. Mauldin is no longer with us, his words can still tell it like it was.
Old 06-26-09, 08:59 AM   #2
sharkbit
The Old Man

Downloads: 334
Uploads: 0

I'll second that Platapus.

It has been a while since I looked at it but it is an excellent look at the average infantryman of WWII.
“Prejudice is blind. There will always be someone who says you aren’t welcome at the table. Stop apologizing for who you are and using all your energy trying to change their minds. Yes, you will lose friends, maybe even family. But you will gain your self-respect. You will know your worth. Once you have that, nothing can stop you.”
sharkbit is offline   Reply With Quote