SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-15-09, 01:58 PM   #1
cj95
Lieutenant

Downloads: 141
Uploads: 0
Default Need a good Modern SSN novel.

Like the title says Im looking for a good modern SSN or SSK novel with plenty of action.

What I DO NOT want is another book about 'a rouge sub' or a 'sub taken over by terrorists'

What boring garbage. Doesnt anybody write books about navy vs navy anymore? Why does it always have to be a rogue sub, or some secret agent garbage.

I did some internet serches, but anythng modern...other than Clancy.....seems to follow the above formula too much.

>> USS TEXAS BB-35 Restoration CrewMember <<
cj95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-09, 05:11 PM   #2
Bill Nichols
Master of Defense

Downloads: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj95 View Post
Like the title says Im looking for a good modern SSN or SSK novel with plenty of action.

What I DO NOT want is another book about 'a rouge sub' or a 'sub taken over by terrorists'

What boring garbage. Doesnt anybody write books about navy vs navy anymore? Why does it always have to be a rogue sub, or some secret agent garbage.

I did some internet serches, but anythng modern...other than Clancy.....seems to follow the above formula too much.

You might like, then, Larry Bond's "Dangerous Ground". Believable plot, some good action. The sequel, "Cold Choices", however, left me cold (pun intended).

You might also try "Typhoon" by Robin White.

A real gem with the same title ("Typhoon") is the novel by Mark Joseph. It's long out of print, so look for it in the used book section of Amazon. Joseph's other sub novel, "To Kill the Potemkin", is also good.

Finally, "Silent Service - Los Angeles Class," by H. Jay Riker, I thought enough of to create a set of Sub Command/Dangerous Waters scenarios based on it.

Old 07-15-09, 07:58 PM   #3
Syxx_Killer
Admiral

Downloads: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nichols View Post

You might also try "Typhoon" by Robin White.

A real gem with the same title ("Typhoon") is the novel by Mark Joseph. It's long out of print, so look for it in the used book section of Amazon. Joseph's other sub novel, "To Kill the Potemkin", is also good.
Mark Joesph's Typhoon is my favorite sub novel. I couldn't put it down and I couldn't read it fast enough to see what happens next. One of these days I'm going to get To Kill the Potemkin.

I've got Robin White's Typhoon on order. I bought it used off Amazon for $.01 but the shipping was $3.99. I ordered Jurrassic Park from the same used book seller (for $.01 and another $3.99 S&H) because I have always wanted to read it. JP is my favorite movie.
Syxx_Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-09, 09:36 AM   #4
Kazuaki Shimazaki II
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nichols View Post
You might like, then, Larry Bond's "Dangerous Ground". Believable plot, some good action. The sequel, "Cold Choices", however, left me cold (pun intended).
Is it that bad? I just bought it!
Kazuaki Shimazaki II is offline   Reply With Quote